Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A concept video of what a unified Control Center and multitasking interface would look like in iOS 8 has been created by designer Bill Labus and posted by TheTechBlock (via Cult of Mac).

The version of iOS 8 in the video shows the app switcher and user settings in one unified view accessed by a single swipe up gesture. Users are free to multitask or toggle preferences such as music volume and WiFi, as the buttons for the toggles themselves have been combined into one space to allow for more room. The video also shows a refined Notification Center that features a minimalistic look with more centered text, which is triggered by a swipe gesture down.

ios8_control_center2-800x544.jpg
Labus also noted his reasons for making such changes to integrate the multitasking switcher into Control Center:
Unfortunately, I find double-clicking the home button to be irritating- there's a noticeable delay between the second click and the multitasking view appearing, and in my haste I often accidentally triple-click the home button, forcing me to wait while the OS bounces into, and back out of, multitasking. Control Center's bottom edge gesture is far faster and easier to perform, however as I said I do use Control Center frequently as well, so I wouldn't necessarily want to swap the two and use the home button double click to bring up Control Center.
Apple introduced Control Center and a refined version of multitasking with the release of iOS 7 last fall. While an overhaul or unification of both is unlikely to happen with any immediate update to iOS 7, it is possible that Apple could make major changes in time for iOS 8, which will likely be released this fall.

Article Link: iOS 8 Concept Video Features Unified Interface for Control Center and Multitasking

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Some of the UI elements look nice, but I'd like to keep Control Center and multitasking separate. The two have little to do with each other in my mind, and Control Center is clumsy enough already.

I really do appreciate some of the care that went into the UI concept, though. And they even made the home screen icons look decent.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Hmmm. I like it, but the multitasking icons are gone. I use those to quickly determine which apps I'm shuffling through. Maybe they could overlay the app's icon onto the screenshots?

BlackbookGuy

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Seems like the problem would be when there are dozens of apps to scroll through. Without the icons at the bottom, can you scroll through them fast?

gamikun

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
Annoying for gaming

I find it annoying for gaming, doing those lots of swipes and accidentally showing mission control. I mean the way is shown in video.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
id be fine with an option to switch the control center and multitasking around. i need multitasking a lot more often and i hate pressing the home button

jonyive4

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2013
if there's a delay between second click and multitasking, you probably have guided access on as iOS is waiting for a third click (if any).

disable guided access.

Wurm5150

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
Saves the Home Button

I like it a lot.. It would save the home button from getting really beat up..

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I like it; it's nice. I'm particularly happy that it means less of the blur effects (those are going to look really dated in a year or so).

I'm less happy with the multitasking panel. You end up seeing the earliest notifications first, which means you can't just peek at it.

While they're at it, they could reverse the direction in which the multitasking panels appear. The apps I opened longest ago should be towards the far-left end of the list (in locales with a left-to-right writing system). I always double-take when I open that screen; it feels like I'm reading book where the pages turn the wrong way.

The same is true of the lock-screen. This is an artefact of the pre-iOS 7 days, when there was a slider to drag along a track. Now that you directly move the lockscreen itself, it feels weird to drag the screen from left to right in order to go "forwards".

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
I like it; it's nice. I'm particularly happy that it means less of the blur effects (those are going to look really dated in a year or so).

I'm less happy with the multitasking panel. You end up seeing the earliest notifications first, which means you can't just peek at it.

While they're at it, they could reverse the direction in which the multitasking panels appear. The apps I opened longest ago should be towards the far-left end of the list (in locales with a left-to-right writing system). I always double-take when I open that screen; it feels like I'm reading book where the pages turn the wrong way.

The same is true of the lock-screen. This is an artefact of the pre-iOS 7 days, when there was a slider to drag along a track. Now that you directly move the lockscreen itself, it feels weird to drag the screen from left to right in order to go "forwards".

I agree. It's interesting to see remnants of the old ways manifest so strongly when any designer now would think to put things going in the opposite direction. I'm curious how long it would take for people to get used to swiping left to unlock the home screen, since that gesture had been in place since 2007. Probably wouldn't take as long as people think to completely learn a new way.

Or better yet, be able to swipe either direction.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I think there's plenty more to be tweaked besides this. Out of everything, they pick something that doesn't need change. Try revamping the music app.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
No quick BT on/off and no quick VPN on/off (I know we don't have vpn right now but it would be nice)

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Very nice mockup, but two issues:

Multitasking switcher should be at the bottom. People are more inclined to use it, so that makes it easier to swipe at without hitting a settings button.

The apps don't have icons underneath. Some apps are quite difficult to quickly distinguish without their icon, and some apps have their screenshot get blanked out for some reason. Maybe somehow dimming the screenshot with the icon overlaid? Not sure.

On my wish list for iOS 8 is a dark theme. The white is kind of grating on me, especially since I got my iPad Mini Retina and the white is covering a larger area (I had an iPad 2 before that which I didn't use as much and now I carry my Mini everywhere). I love apps like Tweetbot that offer light and dark modes. And when you have such a flat OS, it's pretty easy to implement.

NeverAssumeNorm

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2014
I'd want this (with a Bluetooth toggle and other minor modifications) purely to avoid having to press the home button twice every time. Swiping from the bottom is much easier.

----------

I think there's plenty more to be tweaked besides this. Out of everything, they pick something that doesn't need change. Try revamping the music app.

That… and the system icons and the buttons and the default app icons and Game Center :p

----------

Virtual home button in Cydia :p

Pain in the butt. I had it on my iPhone 4 with its semi-broken home button. Even worse is trying to open the multitask bar by pressing the real button :eek:

----------

On my wish list for iOS 8 is a dark theme. The white is kind of grating on me, especially since I got my iPad Mini Retina and the white is covering a larger area (I had an iPad 2 before that which I didn't use as much and now I carry my Mini everywhere). I love apps like Tweetbot that offer light and dark modes. And when you have such a flat OS, it's pretty easy to implement.

But then would FaceTime be light? Because it's an inverted version of Phone right now for some reason.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
We'll probably see a launcher like this in the Android Play Store in a couple of months.... ;)

If iOS had the option of user-installed launchers like Android, we probably would have, too. :rolleyes:

I generally love Apple's esthetics, but the functionality and even the UI of iOS are a bit stale in a few areas. And the keyboards suck, too. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.