Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
All the fanboys who say they won't want an iWatch is kidding themselves. As soon as you see the "Apple" brand on a watch you'll be lining up at your local apple store like every other product.

So does every other thing with Apple logo on the back. Regardless what.

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
A watch being made by a General Electronics company with influence from a Search Engine company.

Sound bang up. :rolleyes:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Personal music players were on the market for many years before the iPod. PDAs and portable phones were on the market for many years before the iPhone. With any luck, Apple will take their time and eventually come out with a device in that will take another quantum leap forward.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
The partnership could be Google's shot across Samsung's bow and the reason Samsung went with Tizen for Galaxy watch. Apparently Google fears Samsung quite a bit. I'd love to see the new Samsung phone to have the option to run Tizen.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
WOW... Your blind loyal to Apple truly amazed me. I could only imagine myself a fraction loyal to Apple.

I believe he was being sarcastic. If so, his post rings true, people on this thread are ridiculous.

I owe both a nexus 5 and a iphone 5s (as well as an ipad air).

The nexus 5 line is an example of a awesome product at a great price. The iphone 5s is an example of an awesome product...but the price isn't so great.

Apply was not the first, and with many things, they are just looking to produce a perfect product into a segment that is filled with imperfect products. They are good at that, often times really good (ipad).

But, I am more interested in the nexus watch because the price point will most likely be very reasonable.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
WOW... Your blind loyal to Apple truly amazed me. I could only imagine myself a fraction loyal to Apple.

I think this is the part where I list off all my Apple devices and use copious amounts of these :apple: :apple: :apple: so everyone knows how loyal I am to the brand.

(I hope you realize my posts were dripping with sarcasm ;) )

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
As usual, all the "business experts" on the internets hold no suspicions about the timing of the Google announcement, which is clearly meant to steal the thunder of Samsung's announcement the day before and assert Android as a viable OS for a smart watch.

EDIT:

The partnership could be Google's shot across Samsung's bow and the reason Samsung went with Tizen for Galaxy watch.

thank you. :)

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
It would be funny if Apple weren't even working on a SmartWatch and Google, Samsung, Pebble and the rest were all gambling on the wrong competitor....

None of these companies care about making something great. They just feel the need to make something that Apple is going to make.

So true, and they continue their fight to be first on the market with a 'new' idea. They still haven't seen that Apple has seldom been the first to market on anything. They let their competitors determine what the customer doesn't want, then come out with something better. When they were first to market, like the Newton, they learned their lesson. Those on the bleeding edge bleed. Others learn from those mistakes.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The partnership could be Google's shot across Samsung's bow and the reason Samsung went with Tizen for Galaxy watch. Apparently Google fears Samsung quite a bit. I'd love to see the new Samsung phone to have the option to run Tizen.

Google aren't worried about Samsung as the Nexus devices have enjoyed tremendous success and has a massive loyal fan base, me included. But I do think they were worried about the lawsuits etc with Apple and Samsung, because it was Samsung's customisations and not Android itself in the docks.

I think this is the part where I list off all my Apple devices and use copious amounts of these :apple: :apple: :apple: so everyone knows how loyal I am to the brand.

(I hope you realize my posts were dripping with sarcasm ;) )

I saw the sarcasm and thought it was funny :D

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
I haven't seen a single person using one and if I walked into a meeting wearing one I would be ridiculed for the first 5 minutes of the meeting and then never hear the end of it.

I have seen one person using it, and IMO its really ugly. The screen reacts slowly and is hard to read for a watch.

The fitbit flex is better IMO; tracks health data and will get call notifications when firmware released in February. Sure it can't do half the things a pebble can, but since you might actually wear it, it does them better.

If apple is making an iWatch, they should look to Fitbit, not Nike or Pebble.
Simple display, long battery life, display multiple data, sync to iPhone. No touch screens please.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
It would be funny if Apple weren't even working on a SmartWatch and Google, Samsung, Pebble and the rest were all gambling on the wrong competitor....

None of these companies care about making something great. They just feel the need to make something that Apple is going to make.

Same reason the GS5 is rumored to have a fingerprint scanner, true tone flash, 64 bit, and will come in black, white, and gold.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
For Google, aligning with LG for a smart watch makes sense now that Samsung has unceremoniously dumped android for their smart watch. we now have three OS competing in the smart watch (pebble being the front runner). And everyone is waiting for the Apple to join the race. Very interesting.

fchowd0696

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2014

WTF are you taking about? Google has a LONG history of being the first to test a new type of product ex:Google glasses.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have seen one person using it, and IMO its really ugly. The screen reacts slowly and is hard to read for a watch.

The fitbit flex is better IMO; tracks health data and will get call notifications when firmware released in February. Sure it can't do half the things a pebble can, but since you might actually wear it, it does them better.

If apple is making an iWatch, they should look to Fitbit, not Nike or Pebble.
Simple display, long battery life, display multiple data, sync to iPhone. No touch screens please.

I think Apple would be wise to go the fitness route. Just based on people I know my guess is the demographics of iPhone owners (at least in the US) are people that are in to health/fitness and would probably be more inclined to spend $$ on that type of devices vs a gear/pebble type device. With all the medical specialty hires we've heard about I have to image Apple is working on something health related; you wouldn't need to hire these people if all you're doing is creating a nano style watch with pebble like functionality.

Chazz08

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2012
It really would be nice to combine a smartwatch and these fitness bands into one. I could actually leave my phone at home and go for a run, but still have some features with me.

Didn't you hear? Samsung is adding those fitness features. haha. Or some of them. I agree though, I'd love to have one that could go with me without my phone. It would be cool too if it at least had data to do a data call if you were out. And maybe switch your phone to say you could be reached on that device instead. I think that would be pretty cool.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
It often appears that Apple leaks ideas to get competitors to test market for them to see if they are viable. The "TV" leak in the Jobs biography was too obvious. The iWatch rumors appear to be continually fueled to keep the competitors scrambling. What a great business model! It's no wonder Apple is able to keep their R&D costs at such a low %. Let the competition pay for initial pilot development and market testing.

nyil

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2014
The people in this forum are astounding. Because it's taking forever and it's from Apple, it's going to automatically be the best?

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
WTF are you taking about? Google has a LONG history of being the first to test a new type of product ex:Google glasses.

From google themselves: when done wrong

Google + glasses = gl*******

Edit: the term 'glass + hole' was redacted by the forum! Funny.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I thought it was even funnier when someone missed the obvious sarcasm....

I guess that just goes to prove my point even further, that so many people believe the same things as what I wrote that I was mistaken for being one of them.

That said, I think there is a (small) shred of truth underlying the fanboyish sentiments. As someone correctly pointed out above, Apple likes to let their competition be first to market and weed out the technology flaws and public sentiments. Apple has enough engineering clout to address the technology issues and the design smarts to fix the (usually software) things that people don't like about competing products. That, and they have a huge brand awareness. So it's not surprising that when Apple releases something it is perceived as automatically better.

I think that's part of the same reason that everyone else is perceived as always copying Apple. Competitor serves up X, public isn't interested. Apple tries Y, public eats it up. Competitor stops doing X and, knowing that public loves Y, comes out with its own take on Y. Public screams "you copied Apple!" I suppose there is a line between giving the people want they want based on market research and "just do whatever Apple is doing". Some companies may well be on the wrong side of that line.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
The people in this forum are astounding. Because it's taking forever and it's from Apple, it's going to automatically be the best?

No, just the best for the most people willing to pay extra. Every company is in the game for the profit. Apple knows how to add perceived value to make profit better than any company in the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.