Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RandomMacGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2002
From the rumors department:

The eMac line is going to be shifted around. Said shifts will include rebates and price cuts. The cheapest eMac will be available for $899 and even an eMac with a combo drive will be available for $999 after mail in rebate of $100 and a $50 instant saving.

Upgrades may also include processor speed increases, but don't bet the farm on it.

This will make for an incredibly cheap and well made line of computers.

Enjoy!
- RandomMacGuy

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
if they fix the picture probs it might be a decent comp. until they do the ibooks are the only apple comps for me in the future when i get my 1st modern mac (i own an LCIII)

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by daniel77
if they fix the picture probs it might be a decent comp. until they do the ibooks are the only apple comps for me in the future when i get my 1st modern mac (i own an LCIII)
was thinking bout purchasing an emac myself but i just dont want to end up having realized 2 months later that new emacs are already out after i buy one...so im planning on getting an ibook hopefully :)

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
Yeah I am looking to make my switch to apple computers, starting with getting the ipod for windows this christmas. probably around this summer when i get a job again I will buy the ibooks. hopefully a speed bump and a price drop by then :D

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2001
NY
If they drop the price of the emac, I don't think they are still going to continue the classic line of imacs. Just a guess though, but I don't think Apple would do it.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by daniel77
Yeah I am looking to make my switch to apple computers, starting with getting the ipod for windows this christmas. probably around this summer when i get a job again I will buy the ibooks. hopefully a speed bump and a price drop by then :D

Hey daniel77,
I'm not entirely certain of this, but I think if you buy an iPod for Windows it will not be compatible with a Mac in the future. The Windows iPods only work with Windows. The iPods for Macs can work for both Macs and PCs with 3rd party software. Am I right?
Anyways, I'm also planning on making the switch soon. See you on the other side!:cool:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jrv3034

Hey daniel77,
I'm not entirely certain of this, but I think if you buy an iPod for Windows it will not be compatible with a Mac in the future. The Windows iPods only work with Windows. The iPods for Macs can work for both with 3rd party software. Am I right?
Yes, you are right. Windows iPods will work with Windows only.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: New eMac line: cheaper, better, faster

Originally posted by RandomMacGuy
From the rumors department:

The eMac line is going to be shifted around. Said shifts will include rebates and price cuts. The cheapest eMac will be available for $899 and even an eMac with a combo drive will be available for $999 after mail in rebate of $100 and a $50 instant saving.

Where'd you get your info?

After all the problems the first set of emacs had with their monitor, I hope this next round resolves the problem.

D

Skip

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2002
California
daniel77, I wouldn't worry too much about buying an iPod for Windows and then buying a mac. There are already goodies out there to allow you to reformat the windows iPod to work on the mac! Should be many more by the time you buy your first iBook :D

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
e-macs

If this rumor turns out to be true then I too will make the "switch".

I have been married to a PC for several years now, but I am getting more and more frustrated at Windows. I have been the Linux route, but "GOOD NIGHT" i cant even get my printer to work.

So I have been having this secret love affair with Apple for about 3 years now and probably will get one of the new e-macs when they come out.
(I hope that one will have SuperDrive)

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
what problems did the eMacs have with the monitor?

I don't recall ever hearing anything about it before now.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by Thirteenva
what problems did the eMacs have with the monitor?

I don't recall ever hearing anything about it before now.

Oh, nothing much, other than some CRTs practically exploding (well, not *that* bad) and then some that constantly have a flicker (due to a loose shadow mask and/or bad shielding that nobody at apple seems to aknowledge or know how to fix).

It's a great machine, I have one (with a flicker :-\) but Apple really needs to bump up the Quality Assurance, even on the low end models.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
emacs

Ugh. Where I work, we have a lab of emacs that has a 30% + failure rate. Some of the machines have been in multiple times for the screen flicker problem...My understanding is that all original emacs have (or will have) this problem. What I was told is if you use the speakers a lot, this contributes to the problem (I admit my info is second hand).

rjett

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2002
The Windows iPod can be reformatted to work on a Mac, but once you switch it over you can't go back because PCs won't recognize the Macintosh formatted hard drive.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
As I understand, the Windows iPod's can be formatted for Mac with a utility on Apple's web site (I am not sure the name or location without searching). I was also told that the reason it can't be switched back might have to do with a firmware update to the iPod. Then again, Apple may just plan on keeping any fish they've caught. 8)

Dan

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by rjett
The Windows iPod can be reformatted to work on a Mac, but once you switch it over you can't go back because PCs won't recognize the Macintosh formatted hard drive.

Though it's not convenient(meaning included with the ipod purchased) and supported by Apple, there are a couple of packages available to allow use of a Mac ipod on a Windows system. One being xplay and another I cannot remember at the moment. Just do a search. They're not too expensive.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Originally posted by edesignuk

Yes, you are right. Windows iPods will work with Windows only.

No you are both wrong, it is only a question of software with the iPod. You'll just have to change software, iPod itself will be fine. It's the same hardware for both PC and Windows, and if you ask me Apple should be including both software packages with the iPod, instead of being cheesy and calling one iPod for Mac, and the other iPod for Windows.....:rolleyes:

daniel77

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2002
seattle, wa
thanks to all who replied to my statements about the ipod and such. i plan to buy the ipod as soon as I get Xmas money, and then I buy the windows version. also, if for some crazy reason it doesnt work with my system, can i return it to the store?

kerouac

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2002
east lansing, mi
my emac

i have display problems with my emac.
i took it in for repair. and was told nothing could be done.
the technican said he called apple, and they informed him all emacs are defective.
however i called apple a couple days later and was told there are properly functioning CRTs now, and that i should get mine replaced.
i am just not looking forward to having my mac in a shop for another 2 weeks only to be told that it can't be fixed. then being charged for the labor again.
i think i will just get the applecare plan and wait a couple months to see if apple actually acknowledges and solves this problem.
everytime i call i am told completely different stories.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Offer CRT imac+Ipod promotion for low price.

If you really wanna more switchers, apple should offer a very low price. For example, a promotion for emac/crt imac + ipod for a very low price to compete with dell/gateway's advt for $499 price. My friend recently thought that he will get a PC for $499 from Dell and called them and he ended up paying more than thousand dollars with monitor and enough memory to run any application. That is how Dell makes all the $$$ where as with that money he should have a got a good iBook. But it was too late...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.