Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Now with the mighty mouse introduced and the general acceptance of it (shipping with new macs), will Apple start to introduce iBooks/PB with a second mouse button or just leave it as a single?:confused:

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I can only hope Apple comes to their senses, and releases a notebook with some form of right-click ability!

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I can't get by without a 2 button + scrollwheel mouse when I'm at home, but for some reason when I use my iBook 'on the road' I really like the simplicity of the one-button trackpad - a ctrl+click is not a problem.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
stevep said:
I can't get by without a 2 button + scrollwheel mouse when I'm at home, but for some reason when I use my iBook 'on the road' I really like the simplicity of the one-button trackpad - a ctrl+click is not a problem.
Yeah, on a laptop your hands are already on the keyboard. It's almost easier to pres ctrl+click than to figure out "which button on the trackpad is my finger on?"

On a desktop, a 2 button mouse is almost essential. The Mighty Mouse is a very welcome addition.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Yeah it doesn't really bother me very much either. I guess because the ctrl button and the trackpad are so close to each other on the laptops its less of a hassle.

With my external keyboard and mouse I'm glad I have a two button mouse.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
stevep said:
I agree but I would like to see Apple have the option of making a secondary button on laptops. My guess is we will see this when the Intel Books are released.

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
mfacey said:
Yeah it doesn't really bother me very much either. I guess because the ctrl button and the trackpad are so close to each other on the laptops its less of a hassle.

With my external keyboard and mouse I'm glad I have a two button mouse.
Exactly. My hands are already there when I'm using the laptop. But when I'm at my iMac I'm more spread out so it just seems more natural to have a 2 button mouse.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Actually I'm more interested in a two button wireless mouse from apple right now. But that's probably coz I'm not planning on getting a new powerbook anytime soon! :D

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I have to agree with those who like the one-button trackpad on the notebooks. I find that, whilst it's nice to have a two-button mouse, the one-button trackpad button is simple and much better because you don't accidently hit the right button or scroll wheel, etc. The way you use your thumb to operate the button whilst keeping your index finger over the pad means that your thumb often hits the button in the middle, not necessarily towards the left.

If they had multi-button trackpads, I would keep hitting right click when I didn't mean to.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
If apple was going to add a right-click option to its trackpad, I'd like to see them keep the single large button below the trackpad and add a right-click button elsewhere. Maybe one on each side of the trackpad?

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
johnnyjibbs said:
If they had multi-button trackpads, I would keep hitting right click when I didn't mean to.

Yeah, that's what kept happening to me when I used a friend's laptop the other day. I also like the simplicity of the one-button trackpad (although at first I was sure that I would hate it, I always used two+ button mice). I doubt they'll add it.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I agree that the one button trackpad dosen't bother me when I'm using my iBook, at my desktop I have to have a 2 (or more) button mouse with scroll wheel, and I love my Mighty Mouse. But then again since I got a Bluetooth mouse for the iBook, I haven't used the trackpad much.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
jrv3034 said:
Yeah, on a laptop your hands are already on the keyboard. It's almost easier to pres ctrl+click than to figure out "which button on the trackpad is my finger on?"

On a desktop, a 2 button mouse is almost essential. The Mighty Mouse is a very welcome addition.

It is frustrating when I (have to) use a windows notebook to try to determine without looking what button I'm clicking. I hope Apple comes up with a new way to right click on notebooks....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.