Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

resoundhearingaids.jpg
A new hearing aid launched today connects directly to iPhones and other iOS devices, allowing wearers to talk on the phone or listen to music, by GN ReSound, a Danish hearing aid manufacturer.

The ReSound LiNX is the first Apple-certified "MFi" or Made for iPhone hearing aid that connects directly to the iPhone or other iOS device without any intermediary devices.

Launching alongside the LiNX is a new iOS app that works as a remote for the hearing aid, allowing wearers to adjust volume levels, equalizers, and switch between preset environments for the hearing aid, allowing the device to optimize to the user's environment. Hearing aids can have several different modes, adjusting to the acoustics of each environment -- the app even uses geofencing to automatically change sound profiles based on the location of the wearer, changing for work, home, or a favorite restaurant. There is also a "Find My Hearing Aid" function to help users find their device if it's lost.

A company representative told MacRumors that the app was an attempt to connect the hearing aid to the Internet for the first time. By using GPS geofencing, the hearing aid can change and adapt to its environment for the first time without user intervention. The 2.4GHz protocol used by the LiNX is also unique -- the company worked closely with Apple to develop a special protocol specifically for communication between iPhones and hearing aids, and that GN built a new hearing aid processor to support it. It is much smarter about turning on and off quickly, saving battery life and delivering five to six days of battery life in normal use, even with the added technology.

resoundapp.jpg
ReSound LiNX launches in global markets today as a revolutionary hearing aid capable of streaming high-quality stereo sound from an iPhone, iPad and iPod touch without the need for an additional pendant-like device. Users can also customize their hearing experience through the ReSound Smart App. ReSound LiNX advances a number of ReSound technologies which already lead the hearing aid industry.

"We saw an opportunity to create the world's best hearing aid by combining the capability of GN ReSound's life-changing technologies with the compatibility and global prevalence of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch," said GN ReSound CEO Lars Viksmoen. "We are committed to improving people's lives through use of innovative technology and look forward to more people correcting their hearing with this new technology - a triumph in accessibility for the hearing impaired."
Previously, hearing aid wearers would need to carry a cumbersome pendant or other wireless device in order to make changes to settings on a tiny hearing aid -- adjusting volume or switching between profiles -- now, users can make those changes directly on the iPhone, a device that many are carrying anyway in a significant quality of life improvement. It also allows users to listen directly to games, calls, FaceTime conversations, music, and any other audio directly from the iOS device, without a handheld dongle or other intermediary devices.

The technology will be available in hearing aids from both GN ReSound and its sister-brand Beltone, available through the company's network of dealer audiologists. Interested parties can sign up for the company's mailing list on its website.

Article Link: ReSound LiNX Launches as World's First 'Made for iPhone' Hearing Aid

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Apple is still astoundingly ahead in accessibility options on mobile devices. That's something that most of us probably don't think about, but it's really great.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Always wondered why they didn't have a hearing aid advertised as somehow connected to a phone or a phone app...

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
It's too bad that app has such an awful UI. Just because users have trouble hearing, doesn't mean they have trouble seeing bad design. It looks like iOS 6 and Verizon had a troubled cyborg child.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
granted another company made these, but apple made the platform to actually change peoples lives.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I had GN Resound from 2001-2008 and from 2008-2013.

Just got a new set of Phonak things, with a little gizmo to pair with a BT device. So I can stream music wirelessly and still hear via the hearing aid's microphone. HA technology is always improving though.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
That was the cheesiest video I have ever seen.

........But I like the concept of the product though

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
It's too bad that app has such an awful UI. Just because users have trouble hearing, doesn't mean they have trouble seeing bad design. It looks like iOS 6 and Verizon had a troubled cyborg child.
They want something very, very easy to use. Big buttons!

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Instead of whining about irrelevant or easily fixable design details, why not applaud GN ReSound and Apple for bringing an innovation to the iPhone that is not just a gimmick and truly makes life easier for a specific group of users? Eat your heart out, Samsung.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
I have a hearing aid and I've never needed the neck dongle for volume. Pretty much all hearing aids have volume control and several settings like tcoil to use when you're on the phone. I'm semi interested in this product but I don't see any note of what level of hearing loss is acceptable to use the product. For instance I have pretty severe loss and only high end aids work for me. I would LOVE it if apple actually released their own hearing aid. Hearing aids are 50-60 year old technology if not older, and while they've grown leaps and bounds, many of us still have troubles with clarity and volume, filtering out background noises and raising high frequencies etc.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I loved grandma rocking in the garden! LOL!

Looks like a nice product though. Great that it links to the phone.

----------

Instead of whining about irrelevant or easily fixable design details, why not applaud GN ReSound and Apple for bringing an innovation to the iPhone that is not just a gimmick and truly makes life easier for a specific group of users? Eat your heart out, Samsung.

Samsung will announce something tomorrow and will have a "tap to hear" feature as well as users will be able to edit what they hear and put them to rap beats. :p

rossgumbrell

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Hove, South East England
not fantastic

my audiologist told me about these a few months back. honestly, there is nothing groundbreaking in this tech at all, they're just the first ones to capitalise on the "made for iPhone" program.

siemens, phonak and starkey are clearly the leaders when it comes to revolutionary design.

Reactions: grahamperrin

revjoel

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
As a dual hearing aid wearer, this is good technology. To be able to change the environment settings from my iPhone will make things easier for me. Their technology will also allow me to stream to my hearing aids wirelessly for phone calls and music. #awesome :)

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I have been following this for some time. There will be other brands with this kind of technology coming soon. Unfortunately, there is no price competition.

I have always believed the Apple Watch will also link up with these and all sorts of interesting things will be possible.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
my audiologist told me about these a few months back. honestly, there is nothing groundbreaking in this tech at all, they're just the first ones to capitalise on the "made for iPhone" program.

siemens, phonak and starkey are clearly the leaders when it comes to revolutionary design.

I wear Phonaks and have a streamer--this is the first set of aids I've seen that have Bluetooth directly built-in and don't require a separate streaming device that you have to wear around your neck. I think that's progress.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
iPhone's charge will finish and you are deaf, again.

Not sure that is exactly how the hearing aid will work.

Judging from article, the iPhone app will only be used to adjust settings, and the hearing aid can connect to the phone for calls and streaming.

rossgumbrell

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
Hove, South East England
I wear Phonaks and have a streamer--this is the first set of aids I've seen that have Bluetooth directly built-in and don't require a separate streaming device that you have to wear around your neck. I think that's progress.

I'm sure siemens, panasonic or another brand had a set going back a couple of years? perhaps i am wrong.

when they bring out bluetooth or 2.4ghz wireless enabled CIC or IIC aids, thats when il be interested. Still, i can't see if it has taken this long to get bluetooth into a BTE (or RIC) aid, why its taken so long!?

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003

I think it's great: simple, big buttons that are easy to see, and an easy to figure out "what state is my hearing aid in" UI.

It should use green, though, instead of red.

I wonder when they'll be able to use the iPhone as an audio processor...but the radio usage would be a battery killer.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I want these even though my hearing is good! It would be awesome to be able to adjust how much you hear outside stuff on the fly or mix it with music and take phone calls hands free.

Some times you just want to turn the world down a bit.

So smart!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.