Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Am I the only one who doesn't recall ever seeing any type of WiFi branded with a "#G" label? Feels like they are trying to copy the marketing of cellular technology generations. (And making it sound really good by calling it 5G when cell phones are merely at 4G.)

Yeah, I think AC is considered to be the 5th Generation update of wifi, which is confusing. I don't think phone makers will advertise their products as 5G, because that would just be silly.

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Sadly you are right.

Sadly? I get, just about, why .ac is good for computers: if you're connecting to a local intranet (or for you lucky few for whom your ISP bandwidth isn't your limiting factor on a 1400Mbps file transfer), AND you frequently deal with enormous files, AND a physical connection isn't an option, OR your house is wifi unfriendly and for whatever reason you can't use signal boosters or run ethernet around the place for additional routers then yes, .ac is for you.

Otherwise, who cares? Point being, nobody using a phone or tablet is ever going to need 800Mbps file transfers. Ok, ever is a naive statement for me to make, but I can't see it happening in the next 6 years. A beam forming relies largely on distance between aerials to work, which is why the new Airport Extreme looks so daft, distances which phones just don't provide, certainly not when manufacturers are trying to compact down so much.

So once again, who cares?

TonyYYZ

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Considering no one has the bandwidth to take advantage of 802.11n routers, I doubt AC is all that significant right now.

What good is a fast WiFi protocol when bandwidth is the bottleneck?

The best I can get piped to my house is 105 Mbps. My several year old 802.11n Airport is capable of 3x that speed.

Got any other ideas, Broadcom?

Uhh, I don't think you fully understand. Your ISP connection isn't the only use for faster wifi. Data transfers in your own home network will benefit from faster wifi performance such as sending a movie file from one pc to the next. Now you can transfer data faster from your mobile devices on supported networks with this new chip.

So yes, this is a welcomed improvement by Broadcom.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Considering no one has the bandwidth to take advantage of 802.11n routers, I doubt AC is all that significant right now.

The best I can get piped to my house is 105 Mbps. My several year old 802.11n Airport is capable of 3x that speed.

You nailed it! A total waste at this point in time, at least for most of the USA. Besides, for what do you need all that additional speed for? My current 30 Mbps cable and 802.11n airport provide me with more than I could possibly use already.

thepowerofnone

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Yeah, I think AC is considered to be the 5th Generation update of wifi, which is confusing. I don't think phone makers will advertise their products as 5G, because that would just be silly.

The "G" in 5G doesn't refer to generation, it refers to GHz. It has become synonymous with .ac but that isn't exactly what it means. Case and point, I'm using an original rMBP which doesn't have a .ac chip to connect to my Netgear router on its 5G band. It broadcasts a normal and a 5G band so that I can choose which to join and still connect on my older, 2.4GHz only devices.

lewisdorigo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
Ayrshire, Scotland

Peer-to-peer stuff. Airdrop, syncing to iTunes via Wifi, AirPlay.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Uhh, I don't think you fully understand. Your ISP connection isn't the only use for faster wifi. Data transfers in your own home network will benefit from faster wifi performance such as sending a movie file from one pc to the next. Now you can transfer data faster from your mobile devices on supported networks with this new chip.

So yes, this is a welcomed improvement by Broadcom.

I still have a wireless G router, but isn't the 800mbps divided by all of your devices that are connected? And do the newer .ac routers still do the thing where they drop the data rate for everyone down to the slowest connected device's speed or did they fix that?

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

The speed is actually based on computer-to-computer file sharing, but it does set itself up for the future of wired/wireless connections. :D

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
We'll see this in an iPhone in about 6 years.

Why?

Am I the only one who thinks Apple has at least ideas/inklings about these types of releases and purposefully doesn't upgrade at certain times because they know something better is coming that will more effectively coincide with their own release?

Like not including ac wifi in the 5S because they knew this newer chip would be out months later for implementation in the 6?

Perhaps, I'm naive.....or not cynical and jaded. Either way, good news!

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Peer-to-peer stuff. Airdrop, syncing to iTunes via Wifi, AirPlay.

If you look at the majority of a user's WiFi traffic, it's going to be dominated by internet browsing and media streaming. Actual file transfers that can saturate bandwidth are likely a low percentage for most users. It's a good improvement there, but not something to jump up and down about as an across the board revolution (like LTE was for cellular data). Still, any efficiency improvements would be most welcome. It's also useful to get on a 5GHz signal when 2.4GHz is still predominant in places like apartments.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010

Wireless AC is good not only because of its bandwidth. It also supports beamforming, which means it can focus the signal to a device far away rather than emitting the signal in all directions. This makes room for more efficient communication and better bandwidth at longer distances.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Awesome. The MIMO and 802.11ac is going to offer a huge improvement over the 150Mbps 5GHz 802.11n signal offered in the previous models.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
Not all of one's data transferring has to be to/from the Internet. The increased bandwidth could be noticeable for transfers between other devices on your local network.

It would be nice to see the AirPort TimeCapsule act as a local iCloud node. Allow phones and other devices to quick offload to the nodes then have the node or nodes co-ordinate with the server.

That sure would make use of speed and save bandwidth.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Wireless AC is good not only because of its bandwidth. It also supports beamforming, which means it can focus the signal to a device far away rather than emitting the signal in all directions. This makes room for more efficient communication and better bandwidth at longer distances.

"Line of sight" beaming! My house uses plaster walls supported with expanded metal lathe. Higher frequencies don't see though metal very well (like the perforated metal on your microwave's door window). I had to ditch my ac system and go back to n to recover my throughput.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011

It's about local networks. Streaming from itunes, etc. Transferring files over a local network.

----------

It would be nice to see the AirPort TimeCapsule act as a local iCloud node. Allow phones and other devices to quick offload to the nodes then have the node or nodes co-ordinate with the server.

That sure would make use of speed and save bandwidth.

Great idea. Time Capsule should really be an itunes server. Making it an icloud hub would be icing on the cake.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
The "G" in 5G doesn't refer to generation, it refers to GHz. It has become synonymous with .ac but that isn't exactly what it means. Case and point, I'm using an original rMBP which doesn't have a .ac chip to connect to my Netgear router on its 5G band. It broadcasts a normal and a 5G band so that I can choose which to join and still connect on my older, 2.4GHz only devices.

Yup, this is what I was thinking too, and that's what it really means but, when I saw the 5G, I couldn't get this out of my head:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 65

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Am I the only one who doesn't recall ever seeing any type of WiFi branded with a "#G" label? Feels like they are trying to copy the marketing of cellular technology generations. (And making it sound really good by calling it 5G when cell phones are merely at 4G.)

Branding no, but there is Wireless G.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
This blood is on your hands, Broadcom.

No, it's the sixth revision. 'a' is the second. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Protocol

a and b were released simultaneously, a used the 5GHz frequency and was designed for media streaming while avoiding the crowded 2.4GHz frequency. They are, together, one generation.

----------

Yes, it's also better if you're using WDS which will cut the useable bandwidth in half. Really wish people would stop jumping to conclusions like this before fully understanding what they're talking about. Another good example is "64-bit with less than 4GB of memory is useless!"

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Most people won't be able to use the new AC. They have older devices that still use the tech accent b,g channels 1-13. The AC routers won't do those channels so their older devices will not be able to use AC routers. It's the classic chicken or egg scenario paradox.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.