Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
When I used Wide, Full Sensor on iPad mini retina and set the bitrate, it did not capture video, only the sound in 20 Mbit/s. I selected 1 Mbit/s.

Thanks. That's bad news. (Not for you, though - after all, bitrate setting is working just fine in the default 1080p mode.)

Thomasxxxxx

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
Can you tell me what bitrate is good for Full HD video on iPad mini and HD video on iPT4G with no quality lose? 10 Mbps on iPad and 5 Mbps on iPT4G will be sufficient?

Can you make an update and add 8 Mbit option?

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Can you tell me what bitrate is good for Full HD video on iPad mini and HD video on iPT4G with no quality lose? 10 Mbps on iPad and 5 Mbps on iPT4G will be sufficient?

Generally, the more static the stuff you shoot, the lower the bitrate can be without annoying compression blocks. Basically, if you shoot for example a conference from a tripod, you can go down to even 1/8 bitrate of the default.

Added: DEB: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...videocameraenhancerios67_1.3_iphoneos-arm.deb

Source code: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...cerDEB/iPhoneWideFoVCamcorderEnhancer0222.zip

----------

BTW, could you post the file /System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework/J85/AVCaptureSession.plist? I'd like to make the oversampled mode on the iPad Retina also working.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011

Thnanks! I had a typo in the 5 Mpixel (incl. iPad Retina) sensor resolution. This hasn't stopped the iPhone 4/ iPad 3 from recording in the oversampled mode; unlike, it seems, the Retina iPadMini. (At least I think this has caused the no-video footage.)

I've fixed the mistake. Could you please test the new version at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...videocameraenhancerios67_1.4_iphoneos-arm.deb ? Does it record proper footage in oversampled mode?

Thomasxxxxx

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
I have tried the new version on iPad mini retina in oversampled mode. When I play this video on iPad, it shows properly but when I transfer it to PC, it has only sound, no video. And the bitrate is 18 Mbit/s even though I set it on 10 Mbps.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I have tried the new version on iPad mini retina in oversampled mode. When I play this video on iPad, it shows properly but when I transfer it to PC, it has only sound, no video.

OIC. Then, it's a PC problem. Have you tried to play it back with WMP? VLC would surely play it.

And the bitrate is 18 Mbit/s even though I set it on 10 Mbps.

Yup, currently, the bitrate setting doesn't affect the oversampled mode under iOS7 - as opposed to earlier iOS versions. Currently, only the default (with the rMini, 1080p) mode is affected. I'm trying to fix this issue.

BTW, I'll release a separate version allowing for fine-tuning the data rate of all supported recording resolutions. In this way, it'll work together with CameraTweak (7)'s resolution selector just fine. (The latter doesn't allow for setting the datarate, only the resolution - this is its biggest omission.)

----------

Guys, some GREAT news:

you no longer need to kill the Camera app when changing any parameters using my app. With the help on the iOS port of the Unix command-line utility "killall", I was able to implement automatic Camera killing right from my utility.

The "killall" port is automatically installed with all Cydia installations, regardless of the version of the iOS. Nevertheless, should you want to check whether it's really installed, got to Sections > Administration in Cydia and look for shell-cmds. If it's installed (there's a green checkbox on the right), then, you don't have anything to do. (If, for some reason, it isn't, you can safely install the whole package.)

A screenshot:

killall-in-cydia.jpg

And, finally, a test version (1.5) already killing Camera after saving the new settings as a DEB file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...videocameraenhancerios67_1.5_iphoneos-arm.deb

Source: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...ancerDEB/iPhoneWideFoVCamcorderEnhancer15.zip

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Guys, some GREAT news:

you no longer need to kill the Camera app when changing any parameters using my app. With the help on the iOS port of the Unix command-line utility "killall", I was able to implement automatic Camera killing right from my utility.

The "killall" port is automatically installed with all Cydia installations, regardless of the version of the iOS. Nevertheless, should you want to check whether it's really installed, got to Sections > Administration in Cydia and look for shell-cmds. If it's installed (there's a green checkbox on the right), then, you don't have anything to do. (If, for some reason, it isn't, you can safely install the whole package.)

A screenshot:

And, finally, a test version (1.5) already killing Camera after saving the new settings as a DEB file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...videocameraenhancerios67_1.5_iphoneos-arm.deb

Source: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...ancerDEB/iPhoneWideFoVCamcorderEnhancer15.zip

I've finished testing this version with the just-released 7.0.6 (on my iPhone 4). Works just fine WRT not having to kill the Camera app manually. I'll very soon post it to my Cydia repo; before that, feel free to use the DEB installer: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...videocameraenhancerios67_1.5_iphoneos-arm.deb

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
BTW, I'll release a separate version allowing for fine-tuning the data rate of all supported recording resolutions. In this way, it'll work together with CameraTweak (7)'s resolution selector just fine. (The latter doesn't allow for setting the datarate, only the resolution - this is its biggest omission.)

It's, slowly and steadily, getting ready. An example screenshot of the current state of the GUI, showing absolutely dynamically presented values:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 1.36.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 1.36.36 AM.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 103

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011

I've just released a separate, full bitrate tweaker app: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18811094

If you don't want to use oversampling, it may be a better choice because it allows for configuring the recording bitrate of all available video modes.

insestito

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2014
I put wide angle mode, 20mbps, 40...
i touch in GO.
Now i exit from your app and open the camera, or first close and then open it, but not appear in wide angle mode in video.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
I put wide angle mode, 20mbps, 40...
i touch in GO.
Now i exit from your app and open the camera, or first close and then open it, but not appear in wide angle mode in video.

You can immediately see the difference in FoV if you switch between stills and video mode in Camera.

With the stock Camera (without my tweak), the video preview will show a significantly reduced FoV compared to the still mode. (The border areas of the later will be hidden.) In addition, under bad lighting, the overall brightness of the image will be much lower.

Not so with my tweak active: the FoV will be the same (nothing will be hidden) and the drop in brightness will be far lower.

Also, shoot a short clip with the client, transfer it to your desktop and play back with VLC. Check it with Inspector - it'll show the exact resolution.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
so there is 12 pages of thread but no examples other than the one given by the OP. Can you start posting samples to show the actual improvements in various scenes?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
so there is 12 pages of thread but no examples other than the one given by the OP. Can you start posting samples to show the actual improvements in various scenes?

It's hard to demonstrate differences in video with still shots. And, basically, it all boils down to whether you can put up with the reduced framerate of the oversampled mode, unless you have an iPhone 5s and shoot in good light and, independently of the model, the lack of image stabilization isn't an issue. It's only when these aren't as important as having as wide FoV & high resolution & good low-light performance as possible that you should use my oversampled mode.

AndyAndoo

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
New York City
shooting with all three bullet points below is not possible(?). If it is possible: Please specify the iphone model and iOS requirements.
- high resolution
- high (nominal 30 fps) framerate
- wide (non-narrow) field-of-view.

It's possible with the 5s only, assuming you shoot outdoors (that is, under good light).

Great. Are those three points above at an aspect ratio of 4:3 and with steady shot turned off possible ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.