Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Well it's certainly bad news that the exploit is there, but on the up shot at least it's now known and will be fixed promptly.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
How is this even remotely considered a security issue?

Yes, every touch is logged, but none of the logs carry any semantic information about the touches.

You can infer some semantics based on the fixed screen positions of UI elements.

For example, the keyboard is always at the same position on the screen, so it would be possible to reconstruct any data entered like usernames & passwords, SMS messages, etc. Same goes for the dialer and passcode keypads.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Yep, but I bet we don't get a response...They'll just release yet another patch...I'm pretty conservative when it comes to Apps, but I do have SSH installed on phone and iPad....I may remove them for now.

Of course we won't get a response.
I love Apple products but the business model that forces software and hardware into obsolescence is one negative and this keeping schtum on security is what's most maddening.

The hardware and software I can find almost 100% functional workarounds for with the help of forums like this so the problem is mitigated somewhat. (MP 1,1 running ML for instance). But the Security things leave you in the dark and feeling vulnerable.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Now we know what flappy bird was really doing....

Obviously Apple needs to fix this. In the meantime, let close all our background Apps and think about cleaning up all the less reputable Apps that we have installed. And let's remember that just because the App Store is curated by Apple, it does not mean I that somewhere malicious App can't sneak it way in.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Of course we won't get a response.
I love Apple products but the business model that forces software and hardware into obsolescence is one negative and this keeping schtum on security is what's most maddening.

The hardware and software I can find almost 100% functional workarounds for with the help of forums like this so the problem is mitigated somewhat. (MP 1,1 running ML for instance). But the Security things leave you in the dark and feeling vulnerable.

The only response I care about is the quick release of a patch to fix the vulnerability that doesn't require waiting for the next iOS upgrade. Other than that, the only response Apple could give would be to acknowledge the security hole, say that they're working on it, and provide a temporary workaround. In this case, the workaround is to disable "questionable" apps running in the background, which might cause more confusion than good.

For better or worse, iOS is going to be a target, and Apple will just have to do its best to stay ahead of the game when it can and release patches rapidly when vulnerabilities come to light.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
How is this even remotely considered a security issue?

Yes, every touch is logged, but none of the logs carry any semantic information about the touches.

What those guys have just demonstrated is of no use to an actual hacker. It would be like tapping a phone line and then only be able to know how many calls are placed each day.
My thoughts exactly.

----------

I thought the Iphone didn't have multitasking... I heard it so many times in here.
It didn't use to, a type of multi-tasking, background updates etc, was added i(in iOS7?). That's my understanding anyway.

rbgb

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
welcome to the new microsoft.

It's inevitable that more and more security bugs will start to be discovered now that iOS usage is at a significant level (which apple has not had previously).

In my view apple should be more communicative about the security issues - it does not really help keeping it quiet. I don't think it will ever be as bad as the microsoft saga in 2004 but they may need to have a bit of a security purge over the next few months.

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
Of all the kinds of military and state activity, I'm for cutting back the military to something more like "defense." I'm for the CIA stopping torture, not making military plans like Iraq; our intelligence services should have rules of engagement in foreign countries and with foreign nationals.

Oh c'mon, how is our country supposed to make money in this era where the military industrial complex is running on all cylinders? Those RPGs don't exactly launch themselves, yo.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
i'm more angry that this is probably reducing my battery life than it is logging my touch inputs.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Security

So, we are told basically do not go I to any non-trusted wifi, e.g. Airport or hotel. I am traveling in a few days so what do I do? Can anyone more versed thean me tell me? VPN? Use iPhone as router so it's not using the totally accessible wifi?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Repost from that other security article... same message

If Apple (and all companies) don't work with independent, third party security firms, this is one reason why they should. Increasingly we are putting our most private information in the cloud and transmitting it daily. Apple needs to step up and have their systems/software tested/hacked by firms which they hire so these issues can be found out before mass release. Some of the stuff that has gotten by Apple in the past was pretty crazy how it wasn't caught. Some stuff has little impact in day to day use. This one is big however.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
If Apple (and all companies) don't work with independent, third party security firms, this is one reason why they should. Increasingly we are putting our most private information in the cloud and transmitting it daily. Apple needs to step up and have their systems/software tested/hacked by firms which they hire so these issues can be found out before mass release. Some of the stuff that has gotten by Apple in the past was pretty crazy how it wasn't caught. Some stuff has little impact in day to day use. This one is big however.

Well, you may have cut and pasted the message from the other thread, but it doesn't really apply here, at all. First of all, this is a "proof of concept" demo made by a security firm who is working with Apple to resolve the issue. It requires that a). someone else has discovered the same method, b). has managed to sneak it onto the Appstore. c). has managed to get their app popular enough for a lot of people to download and d). that you actually have installed this app yourself.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Surely this is an issue that can be solved with better monitoring and testing of submitted apps to the app store? If you get all of your apps from the app store and Apple stop the malicious apps then you have nothing to worry about.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
of course this story would be published the day samsung announces their touch id.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
If this was Android we would already be at 300 responses saying how bad Android/Google is. How does it feel now?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Business as usual then......

It sounds like they submitted a bug report...

Hopefully engineering has everything they need, otherwise this might be a while. :rolleyes:

----------

Well, you may have cut and pasted the message from the other thread, but it doesn't really apply here, at all. First of all, this is a "proof of concept" demo made by a security firm who is working with Apple to resolve the issue. It requires that a). someone else has discovered the same method, b). has managed to sneak it onto the Appstore. c). has managed to get their app popular enough for a lot of people to download and d). that you actually have installed this app yourself.

*closes flappy bird...*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.