Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GT Advanced Technologies, Apple's partner in a new sapphire plant in Arizona, today announced earnings for the fourth quarter of 2013 while also providing a forward look at what will be a "transformational" year for the company. The company's comments help put into perspective just how large the deal with Apple is, with significant ramping heading into the second half of this year and into 2015.
"Our arrangement to supply sapphire materials to Apple is progressing well and we started to build out the facility in Arizona and staff the operation during the quarter," said Gutierrez. "We are pleased to have Apple as a sapphire customer and to be in a position to leverage our proprietary know-how to enable the supply of this versatile material. While our primary focus during the balance of the year is to continue to execute on our commitments in Arizona, our aim is to position GT not only as an exceptional sapphire supplier to Apple but also as an unparalleled world-class supplier of sapphire material and equipment to a variety of customers.
As part of the deal with Apple, GT halted sales of its sapphire production furnaces in order to focus on building out capacity for Apple, a move that resulted in a drastic reduction in GT's revenue for the latter half of 2013 and saw the company's full-year revenue drop to $299 million in 2013 from $733.5 million in 2012.

gt_advanced_technologies_banner.jpg
GT projects that company revenue will remain low during the first half of 2014 as it continues to ramp up production for Apple, with revenue of just $20-30 million for the first quarter. But the company forecasts a massive increase in revenue for the latter half of the year, which should represent 85% of the company's full-year revenue of $600-800 million. That timing would appear to be in line with an Apple product launch such as an iPhone 6 with sapphire-covered display in the usual September-October timeframe.
The company expects that 2014 will be a transformational year, one in which it builds a sapphire materials business while continuing to invest in the new technologies that will drive its equipment business in 2015 and beyond.

The company expects that revenue and profitability will be back end loaded, with its sapphire materials business ramping as the year progresses, and with improving financial performance during the second half of 2014.

On an annualized basis, during 2014, the company expects revenues to range from $600 million to $800 million, with approximately 15% of total revenues occurring in the first half of the year. The company expects that its sapphire segment will account for more than 80% of total revenue in 2014. The sapphire segment includes the company's equipment and materials businesses in the LED, industrial and consumer electronics markets.
With sapphire estimated to account for 80% of GT's revenue for the year and Apple undoubtedly representing the lion's share of that segment, the deal with Apple could be generating in the range of $400-500 million for GT this year. Looking further ahead, GT sees even more growth with estimates of over $1 billion in total revenue for 2015.

Apple has been looking to rush its new sapphire plant into production this month to "create a critical new sub-component of Apple Products". Given the number of sapphire furnaces delivered to the facility and on order, the partnership between Apple and GT could be sufficient to produce 100-200 million sapphire-covered iPhone displays per year.

Article Link: Apple Sapphire Deal with GT to Hit Full Production Beginning in 2H 2014

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Aluminum and saphire—Apple tech is slowly taking the place of jewelry.

I'm still waiting for the day I can get down on one knee and propose to a woman with an off-contract iPhone… although that probably depends more on the woman. :p

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Will Tim Cook still keep this deal in Arizona if the gay-bashing legislation gets signed by their governor?

keterboy

Jan 22, 2014
Earth's Core

I'm still waiting for the day I can get down on one knee and propose to a woman with an off-contract iPhone… although that probably depends more on the woman. :p

I like your idea, creative, just like Apple :)

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
As great as sapphire is for scratch resistance it would be amazing if they could make it thick enough to be shatter proof against drops.

I don't need the thinnest smartphone in the world again, I need all day battery life with a thick battery and a thick sapphire screen for it not to break.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013

I'd marry you. ;-P

Seriously though, I love technology and would gladly accept devices in all sorts of occasions.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area

Water resistance would be cool too! A number of Sony and Samsung handsets are water resistant, but I wonder if Apple is hesitant to set that expectation with customers...

LiquidMetal would also be awesome, but that's probably not gonna happen til the NEXT hardware revision. :cool:

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Isn't Arizona known as the 'crazy' state? Hope this doesn't affect production.

:eek:

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
As part of the deal with Apple, GT halted sales of its sapphire production furnaces in order to focus on building out capacity for Apple, a move that resulted in a drastic reduction in GT's revenue for the latter half of 2013 and saw the company's full-year revenue drop to $299 million in 2013 from $733.5 million in 2012.

There must be have been some amazing guarantees from Apple, in order for this company to agree to tear up its current business model.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Isn't Arizona known as the 'crazy' state? Hope this doesn't affect production.

:eek:

Maybe crazy politics but most people I meet here are from the Midwest (myself being from Iowa).

Having lived all my life in iowa besides the last 3 year I can say nothing's really different besides the climate.

armhol

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Can I buy stock in this company?

You can but the stock is up over 50% already since the first announcements of the Apple partnership. Best to react more quickly and jump on the stocks as early as possible! I put in $10,000 back in December when the rumors first surfaced. :)

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008

you could always propose with the future iRing.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Quite exciting. Sapphire on the camera lens and the home button. And maybe the entire screen. Some rumors even have it on the back side. In a couple of generation maybe they will upgrade to ruby or emerald. :D

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
As great as sapphire is for scratch resistance it would be amazing if they could make it thick enough to be shatter proof against drops.

I don't need the thinnest smartphone in the world again, I need all day battery life with a thick battery and a thick sapphire screen for it not to break.

Sapphire is not shatter proof. I've seen high end watches with sapphire crystals shatter at thicknesses that would be obscene on a phone.

I would prefer a layered approach to help meet the needs of both scratch and drop resistance.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so the next revolution phone in september 2014: iPhone 6 - 4.7" display,bezel free,sapphire glass,2000mah battery with up to 30% more usage overall,imba design with 130mmx63mmx7mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.