Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

grovemade.jpg
Portland, Oregon-based Grovemade today launched a pair of new domestically-sourced woods for its line of iPhone cases and docks. New Walnut and Maple options are available, going along with the Bamboo cases that the company has been making for years.

Grovemade also introduced a new iPhone dock with a three-pound steel base to hold the dock in place and allow one-handed removal and docking of phones. The base is available in black or steel, with Maple, Walnut or Bamboo wooden tops. The company also introduced a Walnut edition of its iPad Air and iPad mini cases.
"The addition of these new domestic woods and the debut of our new website underscores Grovemade's commitment to innovation, providing our customers with our signature craftsmanship and belief in superior quality," says Ken Tomita, Grovemade's co-founder. "These new case, dock, and cover options are just the beginning of the new product lines to be released in the coming months."
grovedock.jpg
The Grovemade Walnut and Maple iPhone 5/5s cases are available from the company's website for $99, with the Maple and Walnut iPhone docks also priced at $99. The new Walnut iPad Air and Mini cases are $129 and $109 respectively.

Buyers can use the discount code Walnut+Maple2014 to get 20% off the new collection at Grovemade's online store.

Article Link: Grovemade Introduces Walnut and Maple iPhone Cases and Docks

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I was never a fan of wooden cases but the dark wood one actually looks nice.

g4dualie

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Good Morning Wood

Selecting wood is a subjective process, where grain is concerned. Buying one of these cases online and it's fortune cookie time. It would be nice to have from among fifty wooden cases to choose. Or how about family packages that offer cases made from the same slice of grain?

Just like the guitar neck on my 40-year-old Guild, which has warped to the shape of my hand, a wooden smartphone case would certainly last as long but would look as new as the day you stopped using it, as phones change.

There is no value in these wooden cases. Just another reason to keep cutting down trees.

:)

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Error in thinking?

So you still have to remove the case to dock the phone - even though they make both. Seems like an obvious oversight to me.

That's what I was to gripe about. I bought a dock for my iPad 1 back in the days and the only use I had for it was my iPhone 4 because I never took the iPad out the sleeve. Docking stations are a real waste if they are not compatible with cases. I now have the iPhone 5S and since it doesn't have a glass screen on the back, I keep it in the (PRODUCT)RED leather case. Stylish, minimalistic, and not adding much weight and thickness. All nice, but there is no docking station I know off that allows for the 2-3mm more thickness and connector length. You would think all these well-paid engineers could come up with a product for that. We'll, if they did, the secret is kept better than the next gen's iPhone parts and specs...;)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I question how much a wooden case could possibly protect your phone. Sure it'll stop scratches, but how much impact from a fall would it absorb? I expect it would remain rigid and pass on most of the force to your phone for it to be absorbed.

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
I question how much a wooden case could possibly protect your phone. Sure it'll stop scratches, but how much impact from a fall would it absorb? I expect it would remain rigid and pass on most of the force to your phone for it to be absorbed.
Wood is pretty flexible and it protects your phone quite well -- think about how much flex a baseball bat has when you see it hit the ball in slow motion.

Their bamboo cases are fairly fragile, however, and if you drop them right on a corner, they can crack. But it's wood, so there's not much you can do about it.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Oh good. New cases for a two-year-old phone design that is about to be refreshed.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
WonderI if the dock accomadates an IPhone WITH a case on it???. Is the lightning jack extended far enough????

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
but there is no docking station I know off that allows for the 2-3mm more thickness and connector length. You would think all these well-paid engineers could come up with a product for that. We'll, if they did, the secret is kept better than the next gen's iPhone parts and specs...;)

I'm using the Belkin dock with my 5S in a Ringke case and it does the trick.

http://tinyurl.com/lrmfh7v

DerekDock

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
Santa Cruz, Ca
I have had one of Grove's bamboo artist cases on my 5 since release and it is fantastic. I've never been one to smash a phone so it's withheld small drops and all scratches with ease. In my opinion the wood even looks better after 1.5 years of use.

I'm pretty sure the docks are made to accommodate their cases and really want to pick one up aside from the fact that it's hard to justify $100 for a dock.

I have their bamboo back on my Macbook as well and I've never gotten more compliments from a purchase as I have with my Grove products. Highest recommendation even with the high sticker.

The knew wood grains look cool but I'm sticking to bamboo right now as it's cohesive across all my products. I still can't talk myself into one of the iPad air cases though.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I have had (essentially) wood cases from Twig, and they protected the phone just fine, they have a felt inside liner that helps stop impact from damaging the phone itself. Now, the Twig case itself is prone to damage when dropped. Makes me wonder if other wood cases would also be easily damaged. It looks like they have a similar interior lining, although the pics don't really show it too much.

Wood is not rigid. Although I suppose walnut is fairly rigid.

A wood smart cover for an iPad is very interesting to me.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
So you still have to remove the case to dock the phone - even though they make both. Seems like an obvious oversight to me.

No, according to their website, it... "Works with all iPhones and adjusts to work with or without a case."

Oh good. New cases for a two-year-old phone design that is about to be refreshed.

Most people don't upgrade to the absolute latest phone every year. And Apple still sells the iPhone 4S - and plenty of people still have older iPhone 4 and 4S devices, that may want to upgrade to a new case. My wife's case is starting to wear out, and she would probably like these (although this is out of the price range I'd be looking for.)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Nice, now my iPhone can match the inside of my Bentley. How I miss iOS 6 with all it's skeuomorphic greatness.

Pictures please, and make it quick, cause the deadline for changes to my order of three new Maybachs and seven Rolls-Royces, to replace my aging fleet of twelve six-month old RRs, is fast approaching. I know, I know, my fleet is shrinking; had to let some of the maintenance staff go, including one of the mechanics….. :(

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Truth is, it's so seldom that I need to make a physical connection to my iMac on either my IPad or iPhone, that a dock just seems outdated now.

If I do have to connect, then it's simple enough to just use a lightning cable..the wooden docks do look nice, especially the lighter one with the alloy bottom, but I just don't really have a use for a dock anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.