Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

methodmano

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I have my dual 2.0 G5 (newly purchased off of craigslist) hooked up to a powerstrip (which itself is plugged into an extension cable, not a powerstrip - no outlets in the room). I also have a 23" ADC display hooked into the G5. It seems that when I hook more items into the powerstrip, the computer starts booting up and then shuts off at the grey Apple screen. I say seems because it doesn't happen all the time. If I remove the hooked up items, it starts fine, so I'm guessing that it's not getting enough power when more items are hooked up. Sound reasonable?

So I want to hook my PC and G5 up to the monitor. I have a KVM switch that has 2 DVI in and 1 ADC out. So I hook up a VGA->DVI cable from the PC to the switch, a DVI->DVI cable from the G5 to the switch and the ADC cable from the monitor to the switch (it doesn't have a power cord). That wasn't working.

So I hooked up just the PC to the switch and monitor. When I put the VGA->DVI cable in, the PC lights went on like it was getting power even though the power cord wasn't yet in. That was weird and wouldn't turn on when I put the power cord in.

So then I tried just hooking the G5 into the switch and monitor. I was able to snake the switch power into the other room since it had a long power cable. It was like the monitor wasn't getting any power though. The G5 was on but not the monitor. So I switched the position of the DVI cable (just changed the input on the back of the switch) and the monitor came on for about 2 seconds and then the G5 shut off.

Any suggestions as to what is going on? It's all very confusing and odd since I've never experienced this kind of problem. Thanks a lot, it was a long read!

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Too many variables.

Try to isolate the issue. Can you take the machine into a room that has suitable power and try it from there? If that works, try KVM switch, etc. Try to break things down a bit so your not dealing with multiple problems at once.....

crouse236

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2005
No Power Pin

ADC cable provides power to the monitor via a special pin in the G5, if you connect the ADC monitor via DVI (which contains no power pin) you will no recieve any image, Apple sells an adapter (around $180) to convert dvi to ADC, this includes a power adapter. This is the only way around this situation that I'm aware of. However it will only power ADC LCD Monitors not ADC CRT's
:)

methodmano

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The ADC cable plugs-into the switch. Shouldn't the switch power the monitor? It has 2 DVI in and 1 ADC out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.