Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Nice to see Preview app in ML get some iCloud love. Now it's like Pages.

I can access all my Pages documents via iCloud, mainly because there's a Pages app in iOS and OS X. Both have the iCloud folders functionality.

But what about Preview? It's great to move images and PDFs into its iCloud folder. But how do I access these on iOS? There doesn't seem to be any Preview app for iOS.

334992-icloud.jpg

At this point I assume such an app will come to iOS eventually.

Any thoughts?

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I thought this too, but what added benefit would Preview for iOS have?

Again, same with TextEdit - there is already a notes app for iOS, so there isn't much need for TextEdit on iOS.

It is an interesting direction Apple are taking though :)

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
The problem with “preview” on the iPhone is that Preview is based on files of various types (PDF’s, graphics, etc) that can’t be lumped into one type. Right now the iPhone can preview stuff like that internally and without a dedicated app but once you switch to an app for that it becomes a complicated way to handle things. It works on OSX due to it’s file structure which is completely different from that of the iPhone... On the iPhone you launch apps, not files unless you are just viewing them. Once you want to do anything with them, you launch a different app, sometimes you cannot do that at all depending on the file.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Frankly, DropBox already fits the bill. Take WriteRoom, for example. Everything updates instantly on all devices via DropBox (but you do have to make sure it's set up and that the app can access it.) I can make an alias to the WriteRoom folder in DropBox and have it sit on my OS X desktop.

But Apple would rather users not play with a traditional filesystem. I have absolutely no problem with this. Pages works brilliantly, with its iCould folder and subfolders. But at this point there is some confusion that doesn't really need to be there, like why Preview's iCloud functionality is a head-scratcher while that of Pages is obvious, easy and transparent in its intent.

Or maybe I'm expecting too much clarity from new implementations of this or that functionality, from what is essentially a developer preview OS. Most users won't see the issues I'm seeing, anyway. iCloud is, on paper, actually easier than DropBox; it's just that this level of ease (that we're being told is what we need) is rather disarming. I'm all for it, though.

We'll see.

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
I can't get pages on my Mac to directly save to iCloud via ML. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it manual like it is now?

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Apple could just be intending this to be used to sync preview and TextEdit files between multiple macs under the same apple id.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
I was going to mention TextEdit too, but somebody beat me to it.
Maybe the GM release/next beta of 5.1 might help..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.