Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

davidfincher.png
Director David Fincher is in talks to direct the Aaron Sorkin-scripted Steve Jobs biopic based on Walter Isaacson's biography, claims The Hollywood Reporter. Sorkin last month completed the script for the film, which is said to take place across three 30-minute scenes at three Jobs-led product launches.

Fincher has experience with broad-appeal Silicon Valley films after his Oscar-winning turn with the The Social Network -- also written by Sorkin -- which won three Academy Awards and was nominated for five more, including Best Picture and Best Director.
Like Zuckerberg, Jobs was a complicated visionary who became a polarizing figure. Under Jobs' watch, Apple revolutionized several business, including personal computers, music, computer-generated animation and mobile phones. In the process, he became known as one of the greatest innovators of his generation. At the same time, he was unapologetic about his difficult personality, was at one point ousted at Apple and was criticized for the harsh treatment of workers in China who assembled Apple products.
Among Fincher's other directing credits include Fight Club, Panic Room, the American version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and several others.

With Sorkin wrapping the screenplay, Sony's next step will be to sign on a director and then move forward on casting, as no actors are known to be in talks for any roles. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is working as a consultant on the film, which has no potential release date yet.

Article Link: 'Social Network' Director David Fincher in Talks to Helm Sony's 'Steve Jobs' Biopic

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Oh . my . god. Another SJ movie that will garner a hundred front page posts... and likely turn out to be another flop.

081313-Jobs-623.jpg

Last edited:

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
I just hope he tones down the rapid-fire, Sorkin-speak. While I loved Sports Night and sometimes enjoy that pattern of speech, I hope since this is a biopic the characters are more true to the actual people.

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak is working as a consultant on the film, which has no potential release date yet.

I feel like Wozniak is only consulting so he doesn't end up being portrayed by someone looking like this in the film:

kutcher-gadd-jOBS-1.jpg

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Do we really need another one?

I actually rather agree with you. I don't feel like Steve is a movie worthy subject. Jobs actually proved that to me in many ways.

The man's life is so complex, the company is so complex, that no 3 hour movie is going to hit all the notes. Things will be cut, tweaked etc.

If someone really wants to do something how about a docu mini series. Or even two of them. One about Steve up to the great return, one about Apple after it. They could do it in two 12 part limited series on say the Biography Channel.

I would much rather see that and see Fincher actually make good on his talk to do the whole Girl trilogy and not just the first movie.

----------

I just hope he tones down the rapid-fire, Sorkin-speak. While I loved Sports Night and sometimes enjoy that pattern of speech, I hope since this is a biopic the characters are more true to the actual people.

He likely won't. That tone is possibly why they are telling the story the way they are. Avoid any situations where such rapid fire talk would seem odd. Board rooms, brainstorming conferences etc all fit with that sort of tone.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Oh . my . god. Another SJ movie that will garner a hundred front page posts... and likely turn out to be another flop.

A film about Steve Jobs being written by Aaron Sorkin and directed by David Fincher deserves front page posts. I seriously doubt it will flop and should not be put in the same category as Ashton Kutcher.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I have said many times that Tom Cruise is a great choice for the role. He has similar impassioned mannerisms (the smile...) and a sharp speaking style that would fit well with Steve.

If you've seen the way that Tom looked in 'Collateral' with the scruffy beard, you can better start to envision how he'd look as Jobs:

rHMDT2cpGE1FLip.jpg

Aside from all that, it would lend the necessary star power to the film to make people flock in droves.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
The Social Network was a masterpiece. I could NOT be more excited for this film if Fincher is directing.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
True, if they turn a script with three 30 minute scenes into a 3 hour movie I don't want to see it either. 90 minutes of nothing it's like watching the Robocop reboot allover again!!!!

I actually rather agree with you. I don't feel like Steve is a movie worthy subject. Jobs actually proved that to me in many ways.

The man's life is so complex, the company is so complex, that no 3 hour movie is going to hit all the notes. Things will be cut, tweaked etc.

If someone really wants to do something how about a docu mini series. Or even two of them. One about Steve up to the great return, one about Apple after it. They could do it in two 12 part limited series on say the Biography Channel.

I would much rather see that and see Fincher actually make good on his talk to do the whole Girl trilogy and not just the first movie.

----------

He likely won't. That tone is possibly why they are telling the story the way they are. Avoid any situations where such rapid fire talk would seem odd. Board rooms, brainstorming conferences etc all fit with that sort of tone.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If Fincher is behind the wheel then this could be a great movie. I realize there is a lot of supposed BS behind the story of the Facebook, but as a movie, it was very good.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
They can even keep the title "Collateral" just photoshop Tom in front of a mountain of Windows vista computers, employees and Android gear!

I have said many times that Tom Cruise is a great choice for the role. He has similar impassioned mannerisms (the smile...) and a sharp speaking style that would fit well with Steve.

If you've seen the way that Tom looked in 'Collateral' with the scruffy beard, you can better start to envision how he'd look as Jobs:

rHMDT2cpGE1FLip.jpg

Aside from all that, it would lend the necessary star power to the film to make people flock in droves.

----------

Mark Strong off course!
MarkStrong03.jpg

Christian Bale.

Maybe he is going to call it "the social macwork" No? too early in the day?? I'll come back when everybody is drunk again....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.