Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Mr. Finch! Please direct this movie!

He is a good director but for some reason I hardly get excite about any movie about SJ.
The Ashton one was awful and for some reason I doubt this upcoming one will be that much better. I just think because most of us know so much about the subject, we all have high expectations and that will never be fulfilled on screen.

quikrick11

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
Day Lewis

I can only imagine what Daniel Day Lewis could do with this role. Not to mention his method acting. I'm sure LSD, fasting, fruit diets, and black mock necks would enter his process.

daniel_day_lewis.jpg

Renzatic

Suspended
He is a good director but for some reason I hardly get excite about any movie about SJ.
The Ashton one was awful and for some reason I doubt this upcoming one will be that much better. I just think because most of us know so much about the subject, we all have high expectations and that will never be fulfilled on screen.

I'm not all that excited about it myself, simply because it's a rare thing for me to get stoked over a biopic. But considering the raw talent working on this, you'll at least know that, if anything, it'll be a decent movie.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There will never, ever be a 'real' film or book created about anything, let alone Steve Jobs. Both are a phenomenon (perception) which are very poor attempts at representing reality.

Actually there could be. But it won't come any time soon. Because it will have to be thoroughly researched over many years. If someone is working on it they hopefully already started because any more of the major players end up dead.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The Ashton one was awful and for some reason I doubt this upcoming one will be that much better.

Keep in mind that the Ashton one was horrible cause it was a first time producer, a first time writer and a director with one really crappy work under his belt and one meh one. And the rest of the crew didn't appear to be much better (I helped a friend dissect the camera work as examples of what not to do for a class he is teaching)

They clearly weren't out to win any awards but to produce something that would get shown at least once for their resumes. Heck they can even say it showed at major festivals. It got them press. Name dropping Apple and/or Steve Jobs will do that

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I have said many times that Tom Cruise is a great choice for the role. He has similar impassioned mannerisms (the smile...) and a sharp speaking style that would fit well with Steve.

If you've seen the way that Tom looked in 'Collateral' with the scruffy beard, you can better start to envision how he'd look as Jobs:

rHMDT2cpGE1FLip.jpg

Aside from all that, it would lend the necessary star power to the film to make people flock in droves.

I'm no fan of Tom Cruise - but he would be a good fit for Jobs.

macintologist

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2004
The only way Steve Jobs will be properly represented is through an HBO series, which would allow for long conversations, character development, and not feeling rushed through things.

If Game of Thrones were forced into a 2 hour movie, it would suck.

tRYSIS3

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2011
I'm a big SJ and movie fan, yet i didn't watch the movie because it looked bad.
Now on the other hand thats a movie id be interested in watching!!

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
the last movie was a huge flop

we don't need another revisionist version where Jobs speaks Sorkinese

over some out of tune piano score

but what I know, I'm not the one wearing hockey pants

:mad:

xoneo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
I have said many times that Tom Cruise is a great choice for the role. He has similar impassioned mannerisms (the smile...) and a sharp speaking style that would fit well with Steve.

If you've seen the way that Tom looked in 'Collateral' with the scruffy beard, you can better start to envision how he'd look as Jobs:

rHMDT2cpGE1FLip.jpg

Aside from all that, it would lend the necessary star power to the film to make people flock in droves.

Disagree with respect!
And completely agree with Daniel Day-Lewis. Almost all movies he played in are great and he is very hard to accept playing roles as in Wikipedia :

"He is known as being one of the most selective actors in the film industry, having starred in only five films since 1998, with as many as five years between each role."
daniel26f-1-web.jpg

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land

But Steve Jobs was head of a strange technology cult which takes all the money of its followers.

How would Tom Cruise be able to get inside that role?

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

rHMDT2cpGE1FLip.jpg

Steve would have never allowed his dental surgeon to make such a clearly non-symmetrical smile.

Tom-Cruise-tooth_large.jpg

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I just hope he tones down the rapid-fire, Sorkin-speak. While I loved Sports Night and sometimes enjoy that pattern of speech, I hope since this is a biopic the characters are more true to the actual people.

"Is it ready?"
"What?"
"The demo."
"The demo."
"Yes, the demo."
"You're asking me if the demo's ready."
"Yes! We go live in 20 minutes!"
"You think I don't know that?"
"Of course, I know you know that! It's just --"
"Then why would you aski me if the demo's ready, if you know I know that? You don't trust me?"
"You still haven't answered my question! Is the @#%$! demo ready?!"
"No."
"No?!!!"
"There's been... a problem."

This is why I eventually became irritated by The West Wing.

As for casting, I think they should be really innovative and do it all using CGI. Give those programmers a challenge: "Everything in the movie has to look 100% realistic. If it does, you'll have jobs for life at Pixar, with stock options. If it doesn't, you'll never work in the industry again."

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Maybe I'm the only one, but while it was an interesting film, I found The Social Network to be quite irritating. The quick talking, unrelenting pace gave me a headache. I don't know if I should blame Sorkin or Fincher, or the combination.

So, with what I have already heard about Sorkin only having three scenes in the movie and imagining a similar cinematic experience to The Social Network, I am becoming less interested in this movie.

And I still vote for Noah Wyle. I know he's done it before, but I think he has the chops and the look to pull off a convincing Jobs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.