Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I know well what OCD is thank you for your concern.

Obviously not judging by your post.

----------

I am educated about ocd, i have it myself and 50% of my songs aren't rated etc and my iTunes library is a mess but i don't bother fixing it.

lol

If you have OCD you don't shout about it on forums. Or relate it to iTunes libraries.

"lol".

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
If you have OCD you don't shout about it on forums. Or relate it to iTunes libraries.

Of course since this is the internet you're surely right. Thanks for all your concerns.

Actually it has many different iterations, but of course you know that.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Obviously not judging by your post.

----------

"lol".

But i don't shout about it on forums, there was someone that was stereotyping about ocd, i am anonymous on this forum so i can talk about whatever diagnoses i have if i want to. I wasn't the first to relate to it on iTunes libraries, i just replied to someone.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I have just over 5TB right now for iTunes. I also download both HD and SD copies of TV and Movies though.

Lately I've been adding about 15GB per month and when I get my new Mac Mini I'll be able to start ripping all my CD purchases so that alone should add a solid 50GB.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
I'm at about 55,000 songs now.

With that many songs, I assume you're not using iTunes Match. I had hit 64K songs but wanted to use Match, so I shaved the library down to about 24K. The ones that didn't make the cut are available in the original library when I want to listen to old-time radio tunes and the like.

I do like Match--Radio alone is worth the $25 per year.

Heats

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Vancouver, BC
With that many songs, I assume you're not using iTunes Match. I had hit 64K songs but wanted to use Match, so I shaved the library down to about 24K. The ones that didn't make the cut are available in the original library when I want to listen to old-time radio tunes and the like.

I do like Match--Radio alone is worth the $25 per year.

I used Match when it came out. I might go again and create a 2nd library just for it, only importing what I want synced. I would love to use Amazon as their cap is 250,000 songs but it's not yet available in Canada. :-(

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
iTunes library itself tops out at 179GB...I don't let my TC back it up, I use my R4, but that too is petty much full...hence today's purchase of a 4TB drive to get the medial library backed up.

Still need another 2TB drive for iTunes though.

shaddisi23

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2014
I'm would like to move my large (70GB) iTunes library and playlists from my Laptop (running Windows 7 64 bit) to my new desktop (also running Windows 7 64 bit).

tyler.hamel

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
Virginia
I might be a little late to this thread however my library is small compared to everyone else.
710 Songs at 6.47 GB
14 Movies at 52.45 GB
161 TV Shows (Mostly HD) at 136.73 GB
I bought all of these from iTunes....

Last edited:

BenGieCruz

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2012
Oklahoma
Music: 2488 Albums/32,592 Songs/93.2 Days/254.44 GB
Movies: 297 Movies/22.2 Days/489.07 GB

Plus another 1TB of movies in an external...

jger77

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
the Fraser Valley
Enough

I've got about 5000 songs a couple hundred movies, most of several tv series, over time I've ripped almost all the optical media that I've come across, and have a basement full of silvery polycarbonate. A respectable collection by most measures. It all lives in about 2TB on an external HD attached to my plastic intel iMac.
Most of the movies and TV shows are only in SD though.

FireWall0400

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2011
OK here goes !!! - 2.541 TB's in my iTunes Media Folder

Music - 4135 Items, 12.2 Days, 45.24 GB
Movies - 610 Items, 33.3 Days, 1,218.88 GB
TV Shows - 376 Items, 46.6 Days, 1,203.80 GB
Mobile Apps - 420 Apps, 73.62 GB (All Previous Versions of Apps have been saved)
Other folders are insignificant

Everything is running on a Synology DS1512+ NAS

ssgbryan

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Total size of iTunes Library - 3.65Tb

Movies - 1,215 movies. 91.2 days, 1,697.65Gb
TV shows - 15 TV shows, 5.6 days, 117.74Gb
Music - 48,386 songs, 3,744 albums, 169.1 days, 169.1 days 1,461.70Gb
Books - 439 items, 4.93Gb
Apps - 88 Apps, 3.25Gb

Still need to finish adding my TV series - I have quite a bit more to go, and I am running out of space on my RAID.

Last edited:

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
About 375 albums in Lossless (still Ripping)
12000 TV Shows
900 movies

TV Shows and Movies are all ripped from my personal collection

cosmos

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio
I understand the need (want) to store a library of data. But, honestly, if someone has an iTunes library of multiple terabytes of data, how useful is it to anyone other than the Library of Congress?

I have a fairly large DVD and BluRay collection that I have not added to my iTunes library. But, there is a big world out there to explore. How many hours should someone spend watching or listening to anything?

Trust me, I enjoy watching and listening to many songs and movies I own. I just think many people are too focused on their media instead of actually experiencing the real world while they are on it.

Habitus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Where ever my life takes me...
I understand the need (want) to store a library of data. But, honestly, if someone has an iTunes library of multiple terabytes of data, how useful is it to anyone other than the Library of Congress?

I have a fairly large DVD and BluRay collection that I have not added to my iTunes library. But, there is a big world out there to explore. How many hours should someone spend watching or listening to anything?

Trust me, I enjoy watching and listening to many songs and movies I own. I just think many people are too focused on their media instead of actually experiencing the real world while they are on it.

Excellent points; however, I love allllll of my music :)

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

"Useful"? It's entertainment! I have a large library on an iPod touch that lets me hear thousands of my favorite classical, country, rock, alternative and other genre tunes whenever I want to listen. It's the first time in history such a thing as a personal soundtrack has been possible, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

Are you criticizing people with large libraries for spending too much time managing the media or experiencing it? It doesn't take much time to manage my library (maybe 10 minutes a day while the iPod syncs with my Mac Pro). Hardly excessive.

As for listening/viewing, I spend hours every day listening to music and audiobooks but I do that while driving, walking, taking photos, etc.

Still not sure what you think I'm missing.

So you have a large library that you enjoy yet you're just CERTAIN that others aren't as smart/mature as you. Interesting take on things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.