Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Ive been using 7.1 betas since the beginning. I still can't get used to having my contact pic in a small circle at the right side of my name. I loved iOS 7 but 7.1 kinda of ruined it. I don't get why Apple would not continue using the contacts pics even they advertise it so beautifully on their website. Don't u think a full screen contact pic looks a LOT better than the empty screen??? Look at the pics: Small contact pic, TINY "Remind me" and "Message" (IT LOOKS SO UGLY), empty screen in the middle, the unlock slider cannot be uglier!
I don't think somebody can post an incoming call screen that looks pretty under the new design.

Please Apple, bring the old iOS 7 design back!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 10.11.40 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-25 at 10.11.40 AM.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 1,639
  • IMG_0794.PNG
    IMG_0794.PNG
    185.2 KB · Views: 2,684

iphnhelp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
You know, I was playing with contact pics on my iPhone yesterday. (I have 7.0.6, not 7.1) And I was thinking the way it shows full screen photos for a call is a little ugly. I think the reason is, if you have a "real" photo that doesn't have the color, framing, or composition that one of the Apple promo image photos has then you end up with a very ugly calling screen. Not to mention if your contact photo wasn't taken with an iPhone and isn't standard screen size, you get weird cropping and framing.

I think apple realized there could be a more consistently nice looking ui experience for real-world contact photos using just the circle. When I was playing with contact photos yesterday I understood why they made this change.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
I disagree. I like the smaller circles. I have to look at my wife enough when I am at home.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I don't use pictures for contacts, but I agree it looks better when the entire screen is taken up. The old buttons and slider looked far more elegant too.

The new design does not seem to be ordered or symmetrical. It just looks like a bunch of different objects dotted about the screen. In the first image, everything is centred beautifully, now it just looks odd. It seems that iOS 7 is getting worse with every iteration, shame.

Oz.

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMN!!! the new slide to answer is ********** ugly!!!

iphnhelp

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
As I look at the 2 side by side I agree that the 7.1 screen isn't as nice. But I bet it would be nicer than an ugly (typical) contact photo from real world use in the 7.0 ver.

Not sure about the slider though... wonder what they're thinking.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
It's the ugliest thing Apple has done. Even with pics taken with camera if u center the face u still get a nice looking pic for ur contact. And it's not only the the small circles. Now ALL things are circle. It looks heavy the other way a much better looking OS. the slider is incredibly awesomely AWFUL. it does not look from apple :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Full screen contact pictures on incoming calls has been one of the features that gets often featured in various ads/promo materials and is something that's been present on phones for a long time...it'd be sad to see that suddenly go for good.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
New?

This?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Or this?

And this background is a normal pic taken with my camera. Same as above but with iOS 7 instead of 7.1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 931
Last edited:

Slayter101

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2014
Prague
The 7.1 version of a call screen is fugly as hell. Why they fix one of a few things in iOS7 which are not broken?!?

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Guess Craig Federighi won't brag about my friends "never looking more attractive" anymore.

That looks horrible :(

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Yep, count me in.

I don't see why Apple have changed this.

Hopefully... it will go back to how it was when iOS 7.1 GM is released next week?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
The changes to the call screen and the dialling screen in iOS 7.1 are absolutely terrible. I honestly have no idea what Apple was thinking with them.

They're so, so ugly, and significantly less usable as they have much smaller touch areas too.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
My guess here is that the decision was made due to the way that it looks when the contact is not using a perfectly 16:9 portrait photo. Since the contact photos are mostly pulled in via social network, there is a large degree of variability in the ratios of images and what the display would look like on the screen. Sure, you can overwrite it, but I think this is a case where Apple has simply said, "we can't control the experience, so we'll change it to something that we can control for the sake of uniformity and experience."

Just my 2 cents.

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Look at this!

Even is the pic is not resize accordantly, you can still pinch and make it perfect... Tell me the new way is better than my old way? And this is a pic i took online since i didn't have a pic of my physician, (neither i want it!) lol

They just have to do something here, the new way is disgusting :(...

Cmon, Apple, you are not like this!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0802.PNG
    IMG_0802.PNG
    122.7 KB · Views: 798
  • IMG_0803.PNG
    IMG_0803.PNG
    885.1 KB · Views: 917

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Yeah they need to change it back. I don't know why they would do this they made such a big deal about it a WWDC. It's ugly apple please put it back.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Apple releases iOS 7, people complain. Apple changes iOS 7, people still complain. I'm guessing they'll change it back eventually. Just like they brought back list and split view in calendar.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple releases iOS 7, people complain. Apple changes iOS 7, people still complain. I'm guessing they'll change it back eventually. Just like they brought back list and split view in calendar.
This didn't change in iOS 7, and has been the same (as designed and as desired by users) for years. Let's hope they will change it back, and hopefully before iOS 7.1 gets officially released.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I absolutely agree with OP.

I love iOS 7 but I hate this silly implementation of callers photo!
And the fact that contacts on the phone book don't have pics associated with names (except favorite contacts)

secDJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2013
Yeah

I absolutely agree with OP.

I love iOS 7 but I hate this silly implementation of callers photo!
And the fact that contacts on the phone book don't have pics associated with names (except favorite contacts)

And in messages! They want to put circles everywhere? What about in Texts, in front of the name... as it is in Favorites!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And in messages! They want to put circles everywhere? What about in Texts, in front of the name... as it is in Favorites!!!
They have that for group messages, just not one to one ones since it's a single person that you are talking to and it would just take up extra space without being of much use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.