Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NimbleBit, the developer behind freemium hits like Pocket Trains, Tiny Tower, and Pocket Planes, has teamed up with Milkbag Games' Matt Rix, creator of Trainyard and Owen Goss, who did Landformer and Finger Tied, for an all new animal-based game called Disco Zoo, which is now available for download from the App Store.

In Disco Zoo, players will take on the management of a zoo filled with creatures from the mundane to the fanciful, collecting animals ranging from pigs and sheep to unicorns and gryphons.

discozoo1.jpg
Animals are collected via simple matching puzzles, where tiles on a board are flipped to reveal coins, Discobux, or animals. Earning an animal requires matching up between two and five animal tiles and each animal has a different tile configuration on the board that players must discern.

When an animal is successfully uncovered on the board, it can then be added to the zoo, where it earns coins for the player for a set number of minutes before it falls asleep and must be woken up with a tap. The mechanic is similar to the restocking of shops within NimbleBit's Tiny Tower, and each additional animal of the same type added to the zoo will increase earning potential by lengthening the amount of time an animal type is awake.

discozoo2.jpg
Coins are then used on expeditions to obtain more animals, and the goal of the game is to continue earning ever more exotic and difficult-to-catch creatures while maintaining the zoo's coin income. Every expedition gives players 10 attempts to recover one or more animals, but players can earn more attempts using Discobux (the premium currency).

Discobux are also used to initiate the disco parties that give the game its name, and during this period, animals generate twice as many coins and stay awake. Discobux can be purchased with real money, but are also earned through gameplay and are not essential to complete the game, making in-app purchases entirely optional.

As with other NimbleBit games, Disco Zoo has a simple pixelated art style and offers other in-game quirks like funny animal phrases, quips from zoo guests, collectible statues, awards to earn, and more.

Disco Zoo can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: NimbleBit and Milkbag Games' Collaboration 'Disco Zoo' Now Available for Download

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I can't recall, but from when people started to love to play 8-bit games on retina display? :confused:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've heard about a lot of uninteresting games before, but I think this takes the cake as the most boring one I've ever heard of through MacRumors.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I've heard about a lot of uninteresting games before, but I think this takes the cake as the most boring one I've ever heard of through MacRumors.

And this isn't even the first article on MacRumors about this game, it's the second. Slow news days...

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I get so annoyed with articles that don't interest me personally! After paying no dollars per month, I expect specifically tailored, top notch content, especially in the iOS blog! I've tried to find ways to avoid clicking on them—hell, I've gone so far as to read the bloody titles to preemptively avoid things that don't interest me. But even with that sneaky trick, Arn still comes to my house and forces me to click, read, and comment on every story I don't care about! :mad:

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I get so annoyed with articles that don't interest me personally! After paying no dollars per month, I expect specifically tailored, top notch content, especially in the iOS blog! I've tried to find ways to avoid clicking on them—hell, I've gone so far as to read the bloody titles to preemptively avoid things that don't interest me. But even with that sneaky trick, Arn still comes to my house and forces me to click, read, and comment on every story I don't care about! :mad:

And of course you know that it's those comments declaring one's disinterest in a topic that the rest of us find most enjoyable to read, especially on those topics we find to be of interest. We just love people telling us how stupid and idiotic we are, and of course it's the best way to locate our own opinions, thanks to all the authorities on everything that is acceptable running around these forums announcing their superiority with every one of their negative comments. ;)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This game will tank big time.

There's nothing fun about it. You rescue animals with currency (which will start trying to get you to buy more attempts after already buying rescues), you click a button to wake them up every once in awhile, and you pay every time you want to hold a disco.

It's a money grabber, and the worst ever. With every habitat you open, it costs more and more coins to even get the animals for it.

It's cute, but there's no lasting gameplay. Even people who like leveling up based games won't like it after a few minutes.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I've never been a fan of the Tiny / Pocket series of games. They aren't much fun to play, and whats up with the stupid faux-retro style?

The "80s pixellated" look is cool when it's genuine, but in these games it's just dumb. Can they really not afford decent artwork and smooth fonts?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

I can't tell if this is meant to be directed at my comment or the other disparaging comments, but I'm fairly certain, just based on the other comments in this thread, that I'm in the majority of MacRumors readers (not by a little, but by a lot) when I say this is a boring "article" (as others have pointed out, it feels more like a straight up advertisement) describing quite possibly the most boring game MacRumors has ever covered in their iOS blog.

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
I can't tell if this is meant to be directed at my comment or the other disparaging comments, but I'm fairly certain, just based on the other comments in this thread, that I'm in the majority of MacRumors readers (not by a little, but by a lot) when I say this is a boring "article" (as others have pointed out, it feels more like a straight up advertisement) describing quite possibly the most boring game MacRumors has ever covered in their iOS blog.

Firstly, Boring is an opinion. Second, if only non-boring news was reported, then nothing would be reported - most news is "Boring". Lastly, using the other posts to prove your point that most people agree with you (there are only like 4 people you are talking about) is invalid as most people who enjoyed the article may not have even looked at the comments or bothered to post (especially after seeing the useless comments by you and others) - or may not even be forum members.

Additionally, its your opinion that it "feels" like an advertisement. The iOS blog is used for iOS news and information - game and app releases are in fact iOS news and information. Yes, they cant report on all and someone has to choose which games are notable enough to report on (just like any news channel).

Frankly I enjoy hearing about these games i otherwise would not have, and many of them are of less than zero interest to me, but occasionally i find one i cant stop playing (Tiny Death Star - which i could see non-star wars fans as saying is very boring). And i am sure my wife will be checking this one out - sounds much better than Zoo Story 2.

One last FYI - this game is probable deemed "notable" due to the fact that NimbleBit becoming popular the last year or so, the fact that this game is a team up of 2 cult iOS game companies, and this game is being hyped up the yin yang all over the internet (google nimblebit or milkbags and get hundreds of recent posts on this game [and not their other games] - even searching for "new iOS game" returned several results for this game)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Firstly, Boring is an opinion.

Additionally, its your opinion

No duh? There's an implicit "IMO" before every unsubstantiated claim ever made in every medium, be it when having a casual conversation in person or by in posts in a forum. If every opinion was marked as such, you'd probably waste 30% of your reading time reading "In my opinion", in my opinion. Everyone expressing their opinions would also have to waste a lot of time making sure they've conveyed that its just their opinion, too.

Second, if only non-boring news was reported, then nothing would be reported - most news is "Boring".

That's your opinion. I read the news that I do because I find it interesting. If an article is boring, I usually stop reading it. If the article is really exceptionally boring (as this one was) and there is an easy way to express it to the author (from what I've seen, the editors at MacRumors tend to read the first 20 or so comments) then I do. Whether the author actually responds to me directly or not, they're now aware that some of the people that wanted to read about interesting games read about this and found it was a very dull read.

Lastly, using the other posts to prove your point that most people agree with you (there are only like 4 people you are talking about) is invalid as most people who enjoyed the article may not have even looked at the comments or bothered to post (especially after seeing the useless comments by you and others) - or may not even be forum members.

I am aware of the fact that not all who read comment. Those that do read and comment though, have supported my claim that this is a boring article for a boring game.

If you'd like an entertaining article on a boring game, Macenstein does that kind of thing from time to time. (I only bring that up to mention that it's possible to write entertaining articles on boring subjects - just because Disco Zoo is boring doesn't mean the article on it has to also be boring. Conversely, boring articles could be written on entertaining things.)

(google nimblebit or milkbags and get hundreds of recent posts on this game [and not their other games] - even searching for "new iOS game" returned several results for this game)

I would like to point out that if you're talking about Google results, you're talking about the results within the bubble Google has placed you in.

Swytch

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2006
No duh? There's an implicit "IMO" before every unsubstantiated claim ever made in every medium, be it when having a casual conversation in person or by in posts in a forum. If every opinion was marked as such, you'd probably waste 30% of your reading time reading "In my opinion", in my opinion. Everyone expressing their opinions would also have to waste a lot of time making sure they've conveyed that its just their opinion, too.

That's your opinion. I read the news that I do because I find it interesting. If an article is boring, I usually stop reading it. If the article is really exceptionally boring (as this one was) and there is an easy way to express it to the author (from what I've seen, the editors at MacRumors tend to read the first 20 or so comments) then I do. Whether the author actually responds to me directly or not, they're now aware that some of the people that wanted to read about interesting games read about this and found it was a very dull read.

I am aware of the fact that not all who read comment. Those that do read and comment though, have supported my claim that this is a boring article for a boring game.

If you'd like an entertaining article on a boring game, Macenstein does that kind of thing from time to time. (I only bring that up to mention that it's possible to write entertaining articles on boring subjects - just because Disco Zoo is boring doesn't mean the article on it has to also be boring. Conversely, boring articles could be written on entertaining things.)

I would like to point out that if you're talking about Google results, you're talking about the results within the bubble Google has placed you in.

wow everything you said further proved my point, good job. You obviously just think this site should somehow be catered to you and the few other people willing to voice that they agree with you.

And yes im aware of the "bubble" google tries to place you in, doesnt work when your smart enough to have your computer set up correctly.. no need for some third-party service for the computer illiterate that is likely doing the same thing as google...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.