Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just hours after Apple began taking orders for the new Mac Pro back in December, shipping estimates slipped to "February". However, Apple will not meet that deadline for a number of customers.

One customer told MacRumors that an Apple representative told him earlier today that his 6-core unit, originally ordered on January 7, "will not ship in February as originally stated" and instead "will be shipping in 5-7 business days and will be reflected in the on-line shipping status early next week." Some Mac Pro buyers on the MacRumors forums have been notified of similar delays. The delay puts deliveries in the first or second week of March.

mac_pro_feb14_ship.jpg
The reader told us that he received two emails at the beginning and middle of the month promising delivery by the end of February, however, both those emails turned out to be incorrect. Here's the text of one from February 17:
We'd like to give you another update on the status of your Mac Pro order.

Your Mac Pro is still scheduled to ship in February. We'll send you an email notification with the delivery date and tracking information once its on its way.

For the most up-to-date delivery information, visit Order Status on the Apple Online store. If you have an iOS device, you can check your order status using the Apple Store app for iPad or iPhone.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting the new Mac Pro to you as soon as possible.
Current U.S. Apple Online Store orders for the Mac Pro have an expected ship date of April.

Article Link: Some Early Mac Pro Orders Won't See Promised February Delivery

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I wonder when my new thunderbolt display with UBS3 will finally ship..

xnu

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2004
Got three, love them, worth the wait! Hang in there.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Ordered 10am (GMT -0500) December 20th

8 core / 32GB / 1TB / D500

Out for delivery by end of day today :D

I could hardly sleep last night and I'm so insanely excited, I might be playing with the new Pro all night tonight.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I ordered a MP (6 core , 1 TB) in the second week of January through the university bookstore so that it could be billed directly my department. I don't have direct access to the order myself but I've been checking with the bookstore and the shipping date keeps slipping. It was February for a while, then end of February or early March and today I was told end of April! This is a complete horse crap. I wonder if they are BSing me at the bookstore or if this is really happening to others too. 4 months to ship a computer is completely ridiculous.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would love to have 1, but as a student my budget just simply are not up for it.
But really hope for the people who's have not ship yet that they will be on their way fast.
In the mean time i will en joy my rMBP, iPhone 5s and iPad air confident that i some day will get a mac pro :D

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Unfortunate. All good things take time, Apple used have operations mastered. Happy I opted for a top-of-the-line iMac for the interim.

I have been watching these threads to see if people complain about the new mac pros.

A huge number of people have said that they would pay more for American made products. Apparently, while they may not cost that much more, they take a lot longer to make. Or at least to ramp up production.

Just goes to show you that maybe there is more to building things in China than access to cheap workers.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Just hours after Apple began taking orders for the new Mac Pro back in December, shipping estimates slipped to "February". However, Apple will not meet that deadline for a number of customers.

Cranking out Mac Pros at maximum overdrive speed when fully know have a firmware problem and a fix ?

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/26/mac-pro-smc/

Or sliding to ship some Mac Pros so don't need to patch before usage?

It is a little coincidental that Apple makes phone calls about slides around the day after rolls out low level fixes.

Couple that with Feburary being a short month and any minor hiccups in order/supply queue and 1-1.5 week slide wouldn't be all that surprising.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
Ordered 10am (GMT -0500) December 20th

8 core / 32GB / 1TB / D500

Out for delivery by end of day today :D

I could hardly sleep last night and I'm so insanely excited, I might be playing with the new Pro all night tonight.

December 20th... gosh. I'd wonder if it got lost in the mail... :/

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
A huge number of people have said that they would pay more for American made products. Apparently, while they may not cost that much more, they take a lot longer to make. Or at least to ramp up production.

Right ...... .because the iMac 2012 SNAFU launch was all American workers behind that too.

The iPhone 5 / iPhone 5S shortages.... pesky American low level factory workers.

It is not unusual for "absolute minimal inventories, and maximum just-in-time" Apple product roll outs to have shortages. Major assembly in the USA doesn't really significantly change Apple stance on those two fundamental premises they bring to their rollouts.

Just goes to show you that maybe there is more to building things in China than access to cheap workers.

Keep on deluding yourself on that. No it is about paying folks less, circumventing local labor laws (even Chinese ones) and getting bigger, fatter, middle-upper management bonus checks.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have been patiently waiting to order until Apple can meet the demand in a reasonable time fashion...

...also waiting until I can save the money for one!!!

LOL....but I figured by the time I have enough money saved up to buy one, Apple will have the whole thing sorted out, and overnight shipping will be a breeze....

Only I wish!!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Didn't we already know this ?

nah, try the "The Early 2015 Mac Pro".

They've already extended it already to April, that alone says some hold up issues happening.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Until your Mac Pros arrive, you can rewatch this trailer nonstop… it's as close as some of us will get to ever owning one. :(

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I would love to have 1, but as a student my budget just simply are not up for it.
But really hope for the people who's have not ship yet that they will be on their way fast.
In the mean time i will en joy my rMBP, iPhone 5s and iPad air confident that i some day will get a mac pro :D

Great photography site in your signature! You do good work! Keep at it and you'll have the money for that Mac Pro!

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
At this rate, it really should be renamed "The LATE 2014 Mac Pro".

It would be funny if it didn't look like this might actually happen. As I said above, my shipping estimate changed from February to late April (ordered Jan 8). The way things are going I don't have much faith in that estimate either.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
February Delivery

I sold my old Mac Pro in December and have been waiting to receive my new one. Bought it February shipping and I just got it two days ago.

I guess I got lucky not having to wait another month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.