Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_buy_99-250x217.jpg
With rumors of a new Apple TV set-top box swirling, Apple's brick and mortar stores have launched a one-week promotion offering customers who purchase the current model a $25 iTunes Store gift card, reports 9to5Mac.

The promotion naturally sparks speculation that Apple is trying to clear stock of the current model ahead of new hardware. A recent report from Bloomberg claimed, however, that while Apple was aiming for an April introduction of the new Apple TV, a launch would not come until much later in the year around the holiday shopping season.

The Apple TV recently received added prominence in the Apple online store with its own major heading as opposed to its previous placement as an accessory, suggesting that Apple may be laying the groundwork to move the Apple TV from its longtime "hobby" status to a full-fledged product on par with its other lines.

Apple has reportedly considered a new set-top box that would combine the features of the current Apple TV with the Wi-Fi router features of the existing AirPort Express. The new Apple TV could also leverage iOS devices and Bluetooth accessories as game controllers for a potential Apple TV App Store, while also adding an Apple software layer on top of users' existing cable television services. Apple has also reportedly been in talks with Time Warner Cable about a potential content deal.

The new gift card offer on the existing Apple TV runs through March 5 and is currently not offered on the Apple online store. As with all iTunes gift cards, the credit can be used in any of Apple's digital content stores, including the iTunes Store, App Store, Mac App Store, and iBooks Store.

Update 8:20 AM: Apple has now posted the Terms and Conditions [PDF] for the offer, indicating that it is valid both in-store and online, but only in the United States.

Update 3:07 PM: Notable Apple journalist Jim Dalrymple has said that a new Apple TV release is not imminent despite the gift card promotion.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores Pushing Sales of Current Apple TV with $25 iTunes Gift Card Offer

Last edited:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Any moment now... It's a-comin.

Will it beat Amazon's box to market?

Last edited:

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Dear Apple,

Please get rid of my crummy expensive cable TV already, and give me a better UI than Youtube to watch things I'm actually interested in in its place.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Perhaps they are giving the $25 itunes gift card so people can use it in the App store that will be announced for Apple TV. I highly doubt Apple will announce a product in April and not release until the Holidays, unless the holiday is easter. That is not an Apple thing to do as interest fizzles with time, competitors launch clones, and sales of existing models plummet. Even if it is a hobby Apple would rather sell their existing model as long as they can if they aren't releasing hardware until Christmas 2014

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Apple Retail Stores Pushing Sales of Current Apple TV with $25 iTunes Gift Ca...

Very interesting. My only concern with a new revamped Apple TV is a price hike. If it adds an App Store and some other features I can see Apple jacking up the price. Right now the ATV is great because it's only $99.

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I am finally guying to buy an Apple TV as soon as they add this feature, which I want more than anything else:
I push AirPlay on my iOS device, and in <1 second, I see that content on the tv.

I don't care if it's mirroring an app or streaming a 2GB video, it needs to be instant. Waiting 2+ minutes to so that it can buffer a 3 minute long home video from my photos app is just useless, and the primary reason I don't yet have an Apple TV.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Dear Apple,

Please get rid of my crummy expensive cable TV already, and give me a better UI than Youtube to watch things I'm actually interested in in its place.

Not going to happen. The TV apps want you to verify your cable provider before giving you access. The TV industry saw the cable cutters coming so they made it you had to log in to your cable company to use these apps. :mad:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Yeah apple really knows how to make a bargain when they want to get rid of a product.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I am finally guying to buy an Apple TV as soon as they add this feature, which I want more than anything else:
I push AirPlay on my iOS device, and in <1 second, I see that content on the tv.

I don't care if it's mirroring an app or streaming a 2GB video, it needs to be instant. Waiting 2+ minutes to so that it can buffer a 3 minute long home video from my photos app is just useless, and the primary reason I don't yet have an Apple TV.

Umm, mine is already instant? Even with the Apple TV already off, it takes five seconds tops.

Maybe your network is the problem?

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
over the air?

Not going to happen. The TV apps want you to verify your cable provider before giving you access. The TV industry saw the cable cutters coming so they made it you had to log in to your cable company to use these apps. :mad:

Which is just weird. If you live somewhere and have an antenna hooked up to your TV and get these stations, it's not possible for you to verify.

This will have to change eventually. But probably not soon enough...

Gary

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think it would be neat if Apple offered two versions of the Apple TV: one that handles streaming channels similar to the current model, and one with beefier specs (that costs more) that can run games using iPhone and Bluetooth controllers, along with the same streaming TV channel functionality. It would be cool if you could quickly switch between gaming and TV like Xbox One. It would be doubly cool if it had Siri capability—as I find the voice commands on Xbox One to be pretty awful.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Umm, mine is already instant? Even with the Apple TV already off, it takes five seconds tops.

Maybe your network is the problem?

Agreed. That sounds like 'his' network. If the ATV is on it is instant, and even from an off state it is ~5 seconds.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
An Airport base station combined with Apple TV in the same hardware could end up being a security nightmare, especially if such a device allowed apps!

Alumeenium

macrumors regular
May 15, 2013
broken UI, too many pointless channels
no way to store content, (like the old model)
no thanks it's a useless as a watch, when we all have smart phones

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
broken UI, too many pointless channels

Agree with you on these two points.

It's weird, the Apple TV has been through several UI iterations over the years, but I still think the original UI was the best in many ways.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Perhaps they are giving the $25 itunes gift card so people can use it in the App store that will be announced for Apple TV. I highly doubt Apple will announce a product in April and not release until the Holidays, unless the holiday is easter. That is not an Apple thing to do as interest fizzles with time, competitors launch clones, and sales of existing models plummet. Even if it is a hobby Apple would rather sell their existing model as long as they can if they aren't releasing hardware until Christmas 2014

Sounds like an app-store model will finally arrive to the Apple TV. They will probably launch a new hardware which includes more storage. I'm thinking 16GB and 32GB versions to store games and apps - content will still be streamed. No app store will be given to existing ATV owners.

Very interesting. My only concern with a new revamped Apple TV is a price hike. If it adds an App Store and some other features I can see Apple jacking up the price. Right now the ATV is great because it's only $99.

There will most likely be a $99 ATV w/ no app store, a $149 ATV with 16GB and a $199 ATV w/ 32GB.

----------

Agree with you on these two points.

It's weird, the Apple TV has been through several UI iterations over the years, but I still think the original UI was the best in many ways.

Nonsense - the new UI is extremely better. However, with the additional stations added it has become cluttered. I'm sure Apple has figured out this mess with the next major ATV software release.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico

That's more likely a problem with your internet connection or your router.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
To me this sounds like a push to get a larger number of people using AppleTV so they can justify the AppleTV Store on it. Think, if they currently have 30 million AppleTVs being used but can increase that number to 50 million in the next few months - they can use that as leverage to persuade developers to create apps for it. ;-)

davidbrummy

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
Need to fix multiple Airplay issue

I got given a new AppleTv for Christmas. I had the original one and loved it. Put multiple Speakers throughout the house connected via Airport Expresses. Like a lot of people I was really disappointed when I tried the new one and it only allowed music to be streamed to one speaker.

Also if I connected it to my iTunes account there was no way of making it ask for my password before purchases. A big issue with kids in the house.

Now it sits on top of my first gen Apple TV unplugged.

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.