Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
As I posted in another thread - My original iPhone 5s worked 90-95% of the time. I dropped it a couple of weeks ago and got a replacement. I can't remember my new one ever failing except when I deliberately tried to get it to fail (using a different finger). I am running 7.1beta, but was on the previous phone as well.

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I've had to redo my prints a couple times since September, quickly learned to do 2 for each thumb. Once in a while it doesn't let me in, but it's rare. Yesterday, however, it kep saying Try Again over and over (it didn't change to Slide to Unlock). I tried both thumbs multiple times. I know I could've just entered my passcode but I wanted to know if I would have to reset my prints. I ended up pressing the Home button and it let me in! I said to myself 'wow, great security Apple!' In retrospect I don't think just anyone could've got in- what I think happened was that it did read and accept my print, but there was a bug/glitch where it wouldn't take me to the Home screen. At least I hope!

To the poster who mentioned Siri in the car/voice metrics- I'd like to add that I wish they would implement a voice activation for Siri (apparently you can only do it with a jailbreak). My hands free experience while driving isn't currently 100% hands free. I know what people are thinking- 'well then your battery life would drain because Siri would always be listening, which is also creepy' but if there was a toggle in Control Center for voice activated Siri for when you get in your car, that would be awesome and give me a truly hands free, non-distracted driving experience.

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
I have this issue, and it frustrated me so much that I eventually turned TouchID off. I always assumed it was something weird about my fingers.

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.

Haha Such hyperbole!
Not a mistake at all and not even close to the worst mistake they've made. Letting Bill Gates see Macintosh code comes to mind (if I'm right on how that went down), and of far less impact- MobileMe. Not to mention all the mistakes during the non-Jobs years.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I fixed this issue myself. Register same finger twice in Touch ID. So far it works for weeks, normally, after a week it will fail but still working.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Every month I have to redo my scans. It's like my fingerprints change, lol. Glad there will be a fix.
I think fingerprints do change, not literally change into different fingerprints, more in a way that AuthenTec hadn't anticipated—old skin making way for new layers of skin, resulting in different readings by the Touch ID sensor and increased failure rate.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Now if only Touch ID would work for my iTunes purchases. I've tried disabling and then re-enabling. It still asks for a password. Quite annoying.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I've rescanned once with my 5s, and that was only to add a lower-right thumb scan. The only times I have an issue are if my fingertips are wet from washing my hands.

I'll be more excited when they fix my daily random soft-reboots and safari crashing every other use on the iPad Air.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Interesting - I wonder how widespread the problem is. If its software related, would seem more people would have problems. Or perhaps I'm one of the few who has a launch day 5S and hasn't experienced "fade".

Glad we've done away with the "----gate" naming though! ;):p:D

guess you haven't heard of touch-gate? ;)

Its amazing how many things can be fixed with a software update these days.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Interesting - I wonder how widespread the problem is. If its software related, would seem more people would have problems. Or perhaps I'm one of the few who has a launch day 5S and hasn't experienced "fade".

Glad we've done away with the "----gate" naming though! ;):p:D

I've never had a problem with it either.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Now if only Touch ID would work for my iTunes purchases. I've tried disabling and then re-enabling. It still asks for a password. Quite annoying.

It works but Apple put a stupid requirement that if you haven't used TouchID purchase something within 2 days (or something), it will ask you for your password.

Which is asinine because, who buys something every other day from iTunes/App store? Also, if you have TouchID setup, you already have to unlock your iPhone (either with TouchID or passcode), so why wouldn't using your fingerprint work to purchase after you already unlocked your iPhone??

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
One problem I am having is Touch ID not activating at all.

I have to use my passcode probably 2/10 times due to Touch ID not activating.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Touch ID is by far the worst mistake apple has made. It has caused more issue than it has solved.

:rolleyes:

Awesome - you might have the early lead for the 2014 Most Hyperbole in a Post (less than 25 words division).

Though with the group on these forums, that lead will likely be shortlived.

I use both a 5C and 5S side by side, daily. I can tell you right now - TouchID is awesome. It works 99% of the time for me, and the fact I can have a more secure complex password helps keep my work phone secure.

Also MUCH quicker and easier to simply press the home button to unlock versus type in a 4-digit code. Can't wait until they implement TouchID across their entire product line.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I'm very glad to hear that this might be fixed. I have to reregister my fingerprints every few weeks. registering the same finger multiple times helps somewhat but it still happens eventually. I thought the problem was software related all along. I still like touch id and use it all the time. way better than a pin.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't even use this 'feature' anymore its so useless. Its just like Siri.

We're all quite happy for you. Continue not using both of those features.

I, on the other hand, will continue to use both as they make for a more enjoyable smartphone experience.

Seriously? Your posts are what's useless.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.