Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

imessage.jpg
During today's annual stockholders meeting, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed (via Bloomberg) that 40 billion iMessages and 15 to 20 million FaceTime calls are made daily. That number suggests iMessage has grown exponentially over the course of the last year as usage numbers were at two billion messages per day in January of 2013.

As of mid-2013, Apple had 320 million iCloud accounts with 900 billion iMessages sent, a number that would be significantly higher today, taking into account 40 billion iMessages a day.

In comparison, popular messaging service WhatsApp, which was just purchased by Facebook, processes 50 billion messages per day. BlackBerry Messenger users on Android, iPhone, and BlackBerry phones send and receive upwards of 10 billion messages per day.

iMessage and FaceTime have become increasingly important messaging services for Apple over the course of the last year, and the company recently enhanced FaceTime with FaceTime Audio for both iOS devices and Macs, putting the video service on par with other apps like Skype.

During the meeting, Cook also announced impressive Apple TV sales numbers topping $1 billion and said the company had not lost its "innovative DNA."

Update 12:46 PM PST: According to The Wall Street Journal reporter Daisuke Wakabayashi, Apple CEO Tim Cook told shareholders that the company processes "several billion" iMessages per day, with the 40 billion number referring to notifications.

Article Link: Apple Handles 'Several Billion' iMessages and 15 to 20 Million FaceTime Calls Daily [Updated]

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
If you consider each message to be 160 characters at 7 bits per character, that's 5.21 TB per day in each direction, not including any image, video, or FaceTime data. Wow. So bandwidth.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I use iMessage almost daily.
and most of the time upwards of 20-50 in a day.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
So, Whatsapp is an amazing company worth $19 billion. But Apple is toast and surely going to lose money, and a terrible stock to own... even though it sends as many messages per day as Whatsapp? See why it makes sense for Apple to buy back its own shares instead of acquiring a company like this? They can already do everything whatsapp does, and much more. If Wall St. ever pulls their heads out of their collective butts, we should see Apple trading at over $1000...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
FaceTime, working just like a phone call (video or just audio) with zero config needed, and ringing all my devices at once, is the greatest thing since sliced bread. And cheaper too!

I guess it shows just how many people live inside Apple's little walled garden!

It's weird how I can still call, text, Skype, WhatsApp, WeChat, Google Hangout, you-name-it to people outside the garden! They really have to work on those "walls"... :p

RdeCourtney

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
It's weird how I can still call, text, Skype, WhatsApp, WeChat, Google Hangout, you-name-it to people outside the garden! They really have to work on those "walls"... :p

Maybe that's what they're working on next... FaceTime > FaceTime Audio > Skype Competitor.

FaceTime Audio with Dial-out would be pretty sweet..

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
FaceMail?!?

How do we not have FaceTime FaceMail yet? (This would be video Voice Mail)

If we did, I'd stop calling (via the phone network) my FaceTime friends with the phone, I'd just use FaceTime.

Gary

Born Again

macrumors 68040
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Do u want a cookie Apple?

Please make imessage more powerful.

You log our conversations so u can at least return the favor and improve your product

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
So, Whatsapp is an amazing company worth $19 billion. But Apple is toast and surely going to lose money, and a terrible stock to own... even though it sends as many messages per day as Whatsapp?

I don't understand your logic.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Seriously? Why that attitude towards WhatsApp. Did one of the founders there hurt a family member?
People get so caught up in some sort of weird inexplicable and really irreverent hate or even love of something they don't even know it themselves...but somehow they must do everything they can to stand behind that strong feeling they have for some reason (or don't even have but think they do or should).

arkhanjel

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Do u want a cookie Apple?

Please make imessage more powerful.

You log our conversations so u can at least return the favor and improve your product

What's missing to make it more powerful?? It already does all the major things everyone uses a messaging app for and it seems to have improved from the times where it would go down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.