Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Wow. I never thought I'd see Apple stoop so low, as to start making money off support. We pay a HUGE Apple Tax when we buy products, and for the longest time, I've told people yeah, but you're buying great support, great service. Now I can't say that any longer. Did support really hurt their bottom line? Is charging the most feeble users amongst us going to help the bottom line? Just dumb.

I'm paying $2k+ for my MacBook Pros. I'd hope that if I need some chat support +1 days out of the *additional* $349.00 I paid for two additional years of warranty, that they could see to not charging me yet again.

Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Eff you Apple!

It's bad enough you offer a laughable 1-year warranty on products you charge twice the market value for. But now you want to charge us even more for out of warranty calls too??

Last edited:

tshrimp

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2012
I am kind of glad Apple is doing this. I have gotten tired of overpaying for my laptops, and I have always justified it. Now I no longer have to as this gives me reason to move back over to Windows on my next upgrade if this continues.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Come on Apple...

you-were-the-chosen-one.jpg

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
This is a huge mistake in my opinion. I like Apple and pay 'the premium' to not get nickel and dimed. The support of the products is the reason the premium is worth it.

A paywall feels like trying to get Windows support or something for $35 per incident.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Through the anonymity of the internet, entitlement has risen dramatically. Thus, this is a crime against humanity.

Service was always Apple's point of difference. It's not like Apple is on skid row here. If anything, they should be expanding their offers of free support in other ways.

Seriously, from their billion dollars made each quarter can they not find a what would amount to a tiny tiny percentage to keep this going?

This new system will only buy them bad PR and come back to bite them in the a**.

Someone at Apple needs to challenge Tim Cook's bean-counting way of thining on this one.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Wow. I never thought I'd see Apple stoop so low, as to start making money off support. We pay a HUGE Apple Tax when we buy products, and for the longest time, I've told people yeah, but you're buying great support, great service. Now I can't say that any longer. Did support really hurt their bottom line? Is charging the most feeble users amongst us going to help the bottom line? Just dumb.

I'm paying $2k+ for my MacBook Pros. I'd hope that if I need some chat support +1 days out of the *additional* $349.00 I paid for two additional years of warranty, that they could see to not charging me yet again.

Steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They aren't doing it to be a money grab, they are doing it to reduce the amount of time they waste on out-of-warranty customers. Furthermore, I'd imagine that a big portion of the out-of-warranty customers are there because the Apple Store declined them service.

I'd hope that if I need some chat support +1 days out of the

They never promised you lifetime chat support in the old system either, they just never actively verified warranty until now.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Eff you Apple!

It's bad enough you offer a laughable 1-year warranty on products you charge twice the market value for. But now you want to charge us even more for warranty calls too??

I have some great news! The charges are only for out-of-warranty products! So with the money you just saved, you could invest in a reading tutor!

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
My CC just got hit for $6000 on a new Mac Pro, that I was told would be delivered by February numerous times. Yesterday, Apple phoned and said it would be 7-14 days. Maybe I should phone Chase and tell them to hold that charge "7-14" days, or until my order is shipped.

Perhaps I should cancel my order altogether if Apple continues the trend in charging more for services we, as 10+ years of Apple users - with AppleCare, currently receive.

Tim, those billions in cash reserve and annual bonuses, how about reinvesting back into your company? Oh, I forgot, "Trickle Down Economics" was a lie.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I have some great news! The charges are only for out-of-warranty products! So with the money you just saved, you could invest in a reading tutor!

ah you got me - I mean to type 'out of warranty...' hence my point about the warranty being short.

But appreciate your sense of humor.....or being a total dick. Not sure which it was....:p

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Good move. It will help make Apple more profitable which is all that matters. :D

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be sarcastic and humorous.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
need metrics

I agree that this does seem to have a bit of the misplaced Brewer-economics about it.

Apple service has long been a differentiator and it's not as though Apple needs the additional revenue. But is this for that reason [I think not] or to discourage abuse [maybe].

Another thought is that Apple products tend to be long-lived but it's only possible to get Applecare for three years. I provide family-service for about two dozen Macs and iOS devices and can field most "how does this work" and "can you help upgrade" issues. But there are some that require Applecare or a Genius appointment - and not everyone lives close to a GB/Apple Store. It would be good to have an option for extended-Applecare.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Because it's related to online chat support, which has been free until this change?

I'm just saying it seems a little ridiculous to be outraged about it when they have used a similar model for other types of support for some time. You pay your chat support employees the same as your phone support in most contact centers.

Being in the customer service industry (over the phone and chat), it is surprising to me that Apple charges for either type of support out of warranty. I have called and chatted with many, many companies over the years and have never once been asked to pay for support, warranty or no. THAT was surprising to me. That they're making their chat policies as asinine as their over the phone ones? Not so much.

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
So they're charging $20 for online chat AFTER the warranty has expired?

I don't see the problem. Normally they'd charge you $50 to speak with a person over the phone, and at least you can request an exception with this chat thing...

mytdave

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2002
Bad Idea

Charging a fee for an ultra-low-cost support function like chat is a bad, bad idea. Just today I informed Cisco that I'll be buying competitor's products now because they refused to answer a simple email.

Some levels of support (i.e. on-site, phone, etc.) obviously can't be provided for free, but some support avenues like email and chat need to remain free or customers will become extremely unhappy.

Tech companies need to consider whether they want to have their "paid support policy" or have customers who buy products. Would I actually drop Apple for such behavior? Well, I'm dropping Cisco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.