Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

appletv-e1382101627468.png
Apple's much-rumored revamped Apple TV product will be revealed "any week now" according to a new report from the Financial Times, though notable Apple journalist Jim Dalrymple poured water on a separate report, saying an Apple TV will not be launching soon.

Though a launch date is uncertain, rumors have indicated the redesigned Apple TV product will include support for games, which the Financial Times confirms. It may also include a fully-fledged App Store, bringing apps to the set-top box for the first time.
The significantly redesigned hardware will include greater support for video-games, already a popular pastime on its iPhones and iPads, as well as other new features which could include bringing its App Store to the TV set for the first time.

The release, which was delayed from the end of last year, could come "any week now", this source said. Apple has not commented on the rumours.
Rumors of a revamped set-top box first begun appearing in early 2013, with TechCrunch's MG Siegler pointing towards an Apple TV product with a focus on gaming. Later in the year, hints of a delay surfaced, and it appears that the product was indeed scheduled for a 2013 launch that was later pushed back to 2014.

A recent report from Bloomberg suggested Apple was on the verge of revealing a new set-top box, possibly at some point in April, but indicated an actual product launch might come somewhat later in the year, which could potentially account for the discrepancy between launch reports from the Financial Times and other media outlets and a "Nope" from Jim Dalrymple.

In addition to games and support for Apple's iOS 7 controllers, other Apple TV rumors have pointed to a hardware product that combines the Apple TV with the router features of the existing AirPort Express. It has also been suggested that Apple is planning to work in conjunction with cable companies to build an Apple TV interface over existing cable content, essentially replacing the cable box.

Earlier today, Tim Cook told shareholders that the Apple TV generated $1 billion during 2013, counting hardware sales and movie/TV show rentals. He also noted that it was "a little more difficult to call [the Apple TV] a hobby these days" given its ever-increasing growth.

The company has also began offering a $25 gift card with the purchase of an Apple TV, possibly in an effort to clear out existing inventory ahead of a new product launch, and the Apple TV has also gained its own product section on Apple's online storefront.

Article Link: Upcoming Apple TV Product Will Include Video Game Support, Launch Date Unclear

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
New UI, built-in time capsule, airport and a new iTunes-free file sharing would make Apple TV perfect.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Dalrymple only Nope'd the imminent release, but not the rumor of an announcement.

It's entirely possible that this new Apple TV would be revealed months in advance, just to give time for developers to make apps in time for launch.

That's what happened with the iPad for instance. They gave developers the iPad SDK (part of iPhone OS 3.2 Beta) right after the announcement.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
It'd better. There'd be no reason for an update otherwise.

Not that it wouldn't be a good idea, but I could think of many reasons that there would be for an upgrade.

Unfortunately most of them involve adding things to make it more like a computer or an iOS device, which aren't particularly interesting or innovative.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Dalrymple only Nope'd the imminent release, but not the rumor of an announcement.

It's entirely possible that this new Apple TV would be revealed months in advance, just to give time for developers to make apps in time for launch.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it at WWDC with a fall release.

"I've Cracked it!" ...yeah right, its been 3 years already

Or, he cracked it and Apple is dealing with unresponsive cable companies...

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
New UI, built-in time capsule, airport and a new iTunes-free file sharing would make Apple TV perfect.

Yeah, that would probably get me to buy one down the road. I still probably wouldn't end up using the TV part of it, though. After using my computer again for streaming 1080p (ATV2 officially only supports 720p) I'd gotten used to the stability and reliability of not trying to run it through another device.

Plus, the volume buttons actually work on that neat little metal remote now.

aaronsullivan

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2003
Rochester, NY
Game support is probably coming to the platform but I'm having a hard time envisioning it. If the Apple TV doesn't come with a controller, what's the pitch? Just an additional $80 and you can play! If it does come with one, I'm having a hard time imagining that in one package from Apple. It will look like an Ouya.

I actually would love to see Apple do this, I just feel like there is a missing piece somewhere with interactivity and the whole package. Hopefully, there is an answer that is something very new or at least I'll slap my forehead and realize what I was missing. I want to want one. :)

I'd rather have an update that let me play my free Amazon Prime videos on the Apple TV (rather than my blu-ray box) but I guess Amazon doesn't want to put their free stuff on there if they can't have the purchasable stuff and Apple won't allow a store competitor, of course.

Very interested in what Apple does now that it is getting serious about this space. It's just a shame that it doesn't look like Apple is going to be able to shake up the industry models as much as I'd like.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

And make it super expensive. I think anything much more than the current cost will make it a non-starter if they want to make sell a lot of units.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does anyone really think Apple would have a special event just for Apple TV with the product not coming out until later this year? It would kill current sales. My guess is Apple will announce it at WWDC (where you have a venue full of developers not just media types).

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
"I've Cracked it!" ...yeah right, its been 3 years already

I'm pretty sure that's from a product / design perspective, getting something very easy to use and that "Why haven't anyone done this before??" factor in play. But I'm sure Apple has trouble realizing that idea due to a stubborn industry.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Earlier today, Tim Cook told shareholders that the Apple TV generated $1 billion during 2013, counting hardware sales and movie/TV show rentals. He also noted that it was "a little more difficult to call [the Apple TV] a hobby these days" given its ever-increasing growth.
The company has also began offering a $25 gift card with the purchase of an Apple TV, possibly in an effort to clear out existing inventory ahead of a new product launch,

Clear out inventory or make sales on the 'free' advertising that the press is going to give Apple's conference calls? The news is going to be buzzing about Apple "non hobby" Apple TV. There are rumors floating about something new but for those who go to the store just to see one ...... hit them on the spot with a $25 "apple money" card (not cash). The incentive expires next Friday when the buzz about this Apple TV "non hobby" status and associated rumors should be dialing back down.

Apple generally doesn't carry huge inventories. The incentive is about as likely to be a counterweight to the rumors putting a drag on sales for a substantial amount of time till drops out of the high visibility news cycle.

Coming sometime 1H '14? Probably. Imminent so have to fire sale the current bloated inventory stock.... just isn't Apple's modus operandi.

Last edited:

spenceralger

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I know the rumors about game support on the Apple TV are fairly common, but I really think improving the iPhone and IPad's airplay so that the iPhone could run the game while AppleTV acts more as a remote display is more likely.

I could also see them shrinking down the form factor, including 802.11ac MIMO super-fast wifi, ditching the remote, dropping the price by 30-50 USD, and directly competing with the ChromeCast (which is hardly a competition)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Does anyone really think Apple would have a special event just for Apple TV with the product not coming out until later this year? It would kill current sales. My guess is Apple will announce it at WWDC (where you have a venue full of developers not just media types).

Take it with a grain of salt, but some of my sources have stated they were already contact about working on channels to submit and apps. That's all they could tell me. And they couldn't tell me any timeline other than "sometime in 2014"

calisurfboy

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I am guessing that all Apple will do is release a new Apple TV that is 39% thinner, lighter, and smaller with upgraded Wi-Fi.

What I would wish for are:

* Updated UI or finally merge iOS across the spectrum. Apple TV is like the ugly red-headed bastard child.

* Allow letter selection in playlists. Scrolling through thousands of songs is not fun.

* Open up iOS App Store with compatibility with iOS Apps (goes hand in hand with updated UI)

* Allow use of bluetooth video game controllers without need to jailbreak

For more money (better model)

* Updated Remote with more functions

* Onboard storage

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe the reason the 7.1 beta has been on beta 5 for 4 weeks now suggests the GM contains code relating to the updated Apple TV which Apple might release mid March. This could be a new Apple TV/Remote app on iOS devices.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.