Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly a year after it was announced, Apple appears ready to introduce launch partners for its "iOS in the Car" initiative, according to a report in the Financial Times. The piece claims Volvo, Mercedes-Benz and Ferrari -- where Apple Senior Vice President Eddy Cue is a board member -- will be Apple's initial partners.

Though it does not mention iOS in the Car by name, the article claims drivers will be able to use Apple Maps for navigation on the car's in-dash screen, as well as watch movies, listen to music, make calls and send text messages through the system with full Siri integration.

The FT says the announcement will be made at the Geneva Motor Show next week, one of the premier motor shows on the calendar.

iosinthecar.png
The technology group will next week launch its first in-car operating system with Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo as it attempts to take the lead in a fierce race to dominate tomorrow's smart cars.

[...]

The deal marks the first time that Apple is embedding its software in devices other than its own branded products. The choice of the Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz is seen to be in keeping with the US tech group's high-end phones.
Apple executives have said in the past that iOS in the Car is "very important" to the company and is an essential "part of the ecosystem". At it's WWDC keynote last year, Apple claimed it was working with a number of partners including Honda, Nissan, Chevrolet, Hyundai, and more, in addition to Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes. It was reported earlier this year that iOS in the Car had been plagued by organizational issues but, if the FT report is accurate, it would appear the project is quickly moving towards a public launch.

Article Link: Apple Launching 'iOS In The Car' Next Week With Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes-Benz

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
Drivers will be able to use Maps in the car. Are they sure that's a feature they want to tout? :rolleyes:

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Great. Now we won't just have Volvo drivers, we'll have Volvo drivers using Apple Maps.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Finally! I'm waiting for info on what it takes to make my speaking newsreader app NewsBrain into a top notch iOS in the Car app. Need info and the iOS in the Car simulator. Maybe Tuesday..

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Aftermarket head units are needed for this to work. Bundling it with a new Ferrari aint going to be a big earner.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Who's preordering the iOS LaFerrari?

I have the limited edition lightweight LaFerrari that strips away all the non essential electronics to save weight for the ultimate performance. By leaving my iOS devices at home, I shave .000000003 off my 0-60 MPH times :D

dustinsc

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Aftermarket head units are needed for this to work. Bundling it with a new Ferrari aint going to be a big earner.

I would consider paying quite a bit of money (well, more than the $80 I spent o my last head unit) for a head unit that actually made my phone usable in the car. My current unit plays music via bluetooth just fine, but I can't get the built-in mic to work, and so Siri is pretty much useless.

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
Every cars' software (user facing) has been terrible. From the beginning of time. Tesla finally has something half-way decent. iOS in the car is good for the industry and helps cars differentiate themselves. Great move. Hope it works super well and they start to expose things like Siri to other apps, etc.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
I would consider paying quite a bit of money (well, more than the $80 I spent o my last head unit) for a head unit that actually made my phone usable in the car. My current unit plays music via bluetooth just fine, but I can't get the built-in mic to work, and so Siri is pretty much useless.
I think an iPad Mini would make a pretty good head unit for this - with the right mounting kits.. I hope they make that possible.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
"...The deal marks the first time that Apple is embedding its software in devices other than its own branded products."

Will drivers be required to physically have their iOS device in their pocket (in the case of iPhone) or car (in the case of iPad) in order for this system to work? Or will the car's onboard computer host a version of iOS?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.