Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
The only time I've hated driving my manual transmission cars is after leg day at the gym. :D

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
I don't have driving experience with the double clutch systems, but as far as I know, they are essentially sequential gear boxes, like in motorcycles. So when you change gears, you can only switch to the next higher/lower gear. On the other hand, in a classic manual car gear box, once you have disengaged one gear, you can choose any of the other gears. In principle, you could go directly from 1st to 6th in a manual car, completely bypassing the 4 stages between.

This is not possible with a sequential gear box, so having a up/down paddle system is natural choice in this case. If you were installing a H-scheme stick, your gearbox still would need to cycle through all the gears between.

I guess what I'm saying is that the computer would do that for you when you select a certain gear. The computer knows you are requesting gear 2 from gear 5 so it shifts down from 5 to 2 on its own matching your request which would be input using a standard H-pattern (like a joystick selector). Certainly, with a CVT transmission with paddle shifters, there are no sequential gears. They are artificial points along the belt to move to. Paddle shifters are not physically moving any gears sequentially, after all. They're just electronic inputs to the computer.

The only time I've driven autos is holiday rentals when a manual wasn't available. So much more engaging driving a manual, although cruise control is nice when on a long motorway journey.

What makes you think manuals don't have cruise control? All my cars have been manuals and all of them have had cruise control. The car's gear needs to be within range of what you're asking it to do. I mostly use it on the freeway, but then my car's 2nd gear can go to almost 65mph all by itself. The clutch being pressed in will disengage cruise, but if have/want to shift for some reason, I can just click resume after shifting....

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Fail to see the attraction of automatic.

I sure can. Learnt on a Massey 35 before I was 10!!

Similar…. first drove a TE 20 Ferguson tractor on the family farm as a 10 year old kid. That was just a four speed, but have used multi range, multi power and power shift over the years.

First drove a car a couple of years later…. a column change Ford Cortina. At 15 I got my car driving licence in a floor change Austin Mini (about six months after I got my motorcycle licence). Have driven all sorts since then….. three, four, five, six speed, column change and floor change, right and left hand drive, on both sides of the road. Plus right and left foot change motorcycles, with various shift patterns, auto and manual clutch.

It was many years before I first drove an automatic car, and have only occasionally driven one since. I have ridden an automatic motorcycle only once.

I fail to see the attraction of automatic transmission. Bloated with blunted performance. Having to hit the brakes with an automatic, whereas just backing off the gas often provides sufficient deceleration in a manual. Less efficient power transmission, so higher fuel consumption. Auto has little going for it from my point of view.

It is not difficult to learn to use a manual transmission, or adapt to the variations. My ex-girlfriend loved me when I payed for her driving lessons, hated me for insisting that she learn to drive in a pick-up with manual transmission, and loved me when she realised that if she could drive that she could drive anything. She loved me for buying her a motorcycle but moved on when I would not buy her a car that we didn't need…… always a small motorcycle rider and cyclist, I have seldom owned a car; just rent on the odd occasion I need one.

I'll stick with manual…. thankfully in the places where I have lived it is still commonplace.

Last edited:

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Have you ever heard of an Farmall H?

Is that the one with the front wheels close together? If so, my late uncle used to have one.

Having gown up on a farm and worked on farms for more than 25 years (before becoming a quasi-academic 15 years ago) I am aware of many tractors, but can't put a name to them all. My nephew is the boy for that…. He's a fanatic; has been since he was just a couple of years old, and is now an apprentice diesel mechanic.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Micky Do,

I've driven manual cars, and here's the problem: in recent years shifting mechanisms on many cars have gotten gawd-awful bad. Trying to find the right gear is turning into an adventure with many shifters suffering from a "rubbery" feel. :rolleyes:

Also, today's six- to eight-gear automatics have gotten WAY better, thanks to electronics replacing the complex, heavy and trouble-prone hydraulics of past automatic transmissions. I've test-driven a 2014 Hyundai Accent with the six-speed automatic and it shifts gears very efficiently and quickly without the "hunting" between gears that plagued past automatics.

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
I'm a little late to the game here, but yes I can. My Father would consider himself a failure if I weren't able to drive a stick.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Is that the one with the front wheels close together? If so, my late uncle used to have one.

Having gown up on a farm and worked on farms for more than 25 years (before becoming a quasi-academic 15 years ago) I am aware of many tractors, but can't put a name to them all. My nephew is the boy for that…. He's a fanatic; has been since he was just a couple of years old, and is now an apprentice diesel mechanic.

As far as I know the H came in both narrow and wide front ends. It's the first tractor I drove. It was a utility tractor for us. I was too small to drive the bigger 560 ha ha. By the time I left the farm for the service mom and dad worked their way up to about 1000 acres tillable and some monster John Deere tractors, implements and combine. In retirement my father did contract work with GPS guidance tractors and a combine. The tech jump in farming is amazing.

Anyway, back on topic farm equipment aside from trucks and such aren't really manually geared in the same sense I assume the op intended. But like you and the other member posted, the field is where I learned to drive at a very young age.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Micky Do,

I've driven manual cars, and here's the problem: in recent years shifting mechanisms on many cars have gotten gawd-awful bad. Trying to find the right gear is turning into an adventure with many shifters suffering from a "rubbery" feel. :rolleyes:

That's a simple fix. The WRX has been known for a sloppy rubbery shifter in recent years. All you have to do is replace the bushings with after-market (or in the WRX's case, STi) bushings. No more sloppy shifter. I put Kart-Boy bushings in mine. It shifts great now (also went to a short-throw shift linkage while I was at it). I didn't actually have trouble finding gears even when it was sloppy, though. I always shift up to neutral and then straight up to 3rd (i.e. forcing it could land you in 5th). It's kind of hard to miss the gate doing it that way and doesn't actually take any longer (frankly, I have to wait longer for the revs to match).

Also, today's six- to eight-gear automatics have gotten WAY better, thanks to electronics replacing the complex, heavy and trouble-prone hydraulics of past automatic transmissions. I've test-driven a 2014 Hyundai Accent with the six-speed automatic and it shifts gears very efficiently and quickly without the "hunting" between gears that plagued past automatics.

Automated manuals (computer controlled like in the Mitsubishi Evo) shift faster than manuals now, but I still despise paddle shifter sequential shifting.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
That's a simple fix. The WRX has been known for a sloppy rubbery shifter in recent years. All you have to do is replace the bushings with after-market (or in the WRX's case, STi) bushings. No more sloppy shifter. I put Kart-Boy bushings in mine. It shifts great now (also went to a short-throw shift linkage while I was at it). I didn't actually have trouble finding gears even when it was sloppy, though. I always shift up to neutral and then straight up to 3rd (i.e. forcing it could land you in 5th). It's kind of hard to miss the gate doing it that way and doesn't actually take any longer (frankly, I have to wait longer for the revs to match).

Some manuals are excellent "out of the box" from the factory: I especially like BMW, Honda and Porsche manuals because it's almost like operating a toggle switch with smooth, precise actions that allow me to find each gear easily. Some older manuals from Toyota are that way, too--I really like the manual from the first-generation Toyota MR2. :)

What's interesting is I've read in some cases shortening the height of the shifter mechanism really helps in improving the action of the shifter. I've read that on the old Nissan Silvia (200SX) sports hatchback from the 1980's, this trick actually worked quite well.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
You bet I can.

I've had several, but one I remember fondly was a '53 flat-head Ford. I paid $100 for it, drove the **** out of it for 2 years, then sold it back to the guy I bought it from for $75.

Oh to be 20 again. :(

NukeIT

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
The only time I've hated driving my manual transmission cars is after leg day at the gym. :D

Have had a similar issue after flying home after a triple marathon (3 marathons in 3 days). Feathering the clutch was out of the question.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
In Malaysia (RHD country), everyone has to pass the driving test with a stick-shifter.

After passing my driving test, I went to automatics immediately (I currently drive a Volvo S60 T6 and a Mercedes E400 hybrid).

That said, I still push the gearstick sideways into manual mode and shift it + or - sometimes.

It's more like the best of both worlds. I suck at balancing the clutch, especially on slopes. Having an automatic lets me do self-shifting whenever I want it, and not having to worry about balancing the clutch as in a traditional self-shifter.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
I can barely drive a manual. The first time was in my uncle's 2004 Porsche Boxter. I just wish one of my trucks was a manual so I could have something to daily drive and learn with. Last time I moved a manual at work was a 1976 F150 and damn near launched it into the wall of the building :cool:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I've driven a manual tractor, but I have never driven a manual car. I am on my Learners license and while I have driven a range of cars, none of them are manual. Having said that I do use the automatic with the - + shifters (Sports Automatic) to give me some extra control when I want it, which to me seems like a good compromise.

I honestly don't think your choice in transmission is a huge deal. Its very based on circumstance and opinion. For me I've been learning to drive an automatic as that is what my family have. The only real advantages I see to knowing how to drive a manual for the average person is being able to drive every car, slightly better fuel consumption (though don't CVT transmissions also have great transmission) and manuals are cheaper to buy.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Micky Do,

That would fairly well describe the Austin Mini gear change.

Yes, I know today automatics have improved, with electronics and many more gears. I remember the Powershift automatic transmission in days of yore, with just 2 speeds. We though it was quite flash when they went up to three speeds. I don't know how today's automatics will stand the test of time and milage, but the vehicles they are installed in are way beyond my means…… and I guess would cost a pretty penny to repair when they do get old.

In 43 years of vehicle ownership (3 cars, 6 motorcycles) I have yet to pay more than $1,000 for one. My current ride, a small 1997 motorcycle, set me back about $500, twelve years ago. Scooters with CVT auto transmissions are getting more popular where I am; have become so over the past 8 or 9 years. Now they account for about 50% of the motorcycle market (and m/c's outsell cars by 2 to 1). However, those scooters do seem to be trashed earlier than the cheaper, more rugged manual change machines that soldier on for years.

Last edited:

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
The thread that will not die; lol. A few years later and it's even harder to find a manual transmission in 2016 US models. Acura just dropped them. Manuals may become extinct as government regulations take more control from the driver.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The thread that will not die; lol. A few years later and it's even harder to find a manual transmission in 2016 US models. Acura just dropped them. Manuals may become extinct as government regulations take more control from the driver.

Well, in Europe, manual gear shift cars are still the norm, although, I, personally, prefer automatics.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I think certain cars will always have them - WRX, Civic Si, GTI, Focus ST. Cars like that. I don't think they'll be extinct, they'll just be available on a small subset of cars sold. At least I hope so. I love my 6 speed WRX and don't want it to be the last manual car I ever own.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
Yes, and with both hands :D

I've never owned an automatic, although have driven numerous automatic hire vehicles.

I've also owned both RHD and LHD manuals (a 1988 Lancia Delta Integrale), so consider myself stick-shift-ambidextrous.

Much prefer driving a manual and feel far more engaged in the driving process.

Reactions: mojolicious

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Ive driven an automatic once in my life...... It was horribly slow to accelerate, and guzzle petrol like it was going out of fashion.

I think driving automatics should be discouraged, it encourages the drivers to not pay any attention to what they're doing...... I was astounded to see how little care and attention drivers in the US give when driving last time I went, they all seemed to be cruising around paying more attention to their phones than the road..... that was about 6-7 years ago.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Yes, I can.

Not very good. I'm planning on renting a manual car for the weekend and getting better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.