Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astrophysicist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2014
Hello. I've recently recorded a movie using my Nikon of a storm that just passed through. During the storm, I stopped recording the video, changed SD cards, and began recording again, as the card was nearly filled up. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I guess in the heat of the moment, I may have ejected the SD card before the camera officially stopped recording. When I popped the SD card in my computer, the video wouldn't play, not in Quicktime or VLC. The computer does however show an accurate file size, 4gb. (20 minutes long in 1080p). I am no photographer, and I've never encountered this problem before. Does anyone know what I should do? I opened the file in a hex editor and there's a lot of data, and I'm no expert, but I guess that means there's something there. Are there any programs you could suggest to repair the video?. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you very much.

Lsinger

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2014
Corrupted .mov file

Hey Guys.
I have a corrupted MOV file that is 521mb. I know something is there but I cannot get any type of program to open it. Tried Quicktime, tried converting it and having VLC or WMV open it. No luck with anything. Anyone have any recommendation. When I open it in VLC it doesn't even show anything on like the time or length of the video.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I assume the file lost the header or some sort of data that tells is a movie file with the rest of the aspects. Without that regular software have no clue "what you are talking about", no info about the file.

OneAnswer

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Hey Guys.
I have a corrupted MOV file that is 521mb. I know something is there but I cannot get any type of program to open it. Tried Quicktime, tried converting it and having VLC or WMV open it. No luck with anything. Anyone have any recommendation. When I open it in VLC it doesn't even show anything on like the time or length of the video.

Maybe this can help?
http://grauonline.de/cms2/?page_id=5

It did repair me a 150 GB video file once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.