Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Says in the article "The Iphone will take over the In-car Display on the Dash" Surely they mean't exactly the opposite. The "In-Car display will take over and control the Iphone".

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Just announced straight from our friends in Seoul

The new Samsung Carply!

Available on all Kia, Hyundai and Yugo cars

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina

I don't think Apple or Google is intentionally copying each other at this point in regards to cars. In the past year, both Apple and Google have stated big ambitions to push into the auto industry.

It's not a me too kind of thing. It's more like a "Of course we are working to integrate our future technology into autos. We would be stupid not to!"

----------

The new Samsung Carply!

Are you sure it's not the Samsung CarAmba?

And to mimic Apple, it will be called the Samsung iCarAmba! :D

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Well, I guess I'm going to have to get a second phone. That way, I'll have one for my Ferrari and the other for my Jag. Maybe even a third phone, for my Benz. :D

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This looks like a par on with Ford Sync... only on more "mobile" level. By the sounds of it, this "iOS in the Car" thing, once Apples one it, they go nuts so everything including the kitchen sink will be controlled "probably" as well.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

The new Samsung Carply!

Google has been working with a bunch of Car manufacturers on interconnect for a while now. It is hardly copying to want to integrate your phone into a car. After all BMW and Mini for example have been making a series of incar adapters for Iphones. Blackberrys, and a bunch of Android phones for a number of years now. They integrate Music and phone functions, but not maps.

jvlog

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Who would use this driving their brand new Ferrari. Apple maps is still a mess for me in the UK with missing streets and missing bends in the road.

If you're using the radio in a Ferrari your doing it wrong. Putting a entertainment/navigation system on there is like putting pacman in a titty bar, it's going to be used.

Now that said it looks like I might have to replace my radio for the 2nd time in 3 years now.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Seems weird that apple is willing to give up control over hardware and collaborate with the auto manufacturers. I'm sure the initial implementation of ios in the car will be awkward and hideous, very un-Apple. I'm guessing they see the potential of the "connected car" and are making sacrifices to make sure iOS is a part of it.

But what happened to all those patents about on-screen tactile feedback? And wasn't there a small company they bought that had imbedded physical knobs on a display screen?

pscl

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2013
Wait... Do i have to buy a New Car to use this or are there any Software or maybe Hardware updates for existing Systems?

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
How can Apple feed video data to the car through Bluetooth?

Or Possibly Wi-Fi or another wireless technology. It would be great if drivers could keep their iPhones in their pockets or elsewhere in the car without having the phone physically connected to anything. Only one phone could be connected at a time, but even passengers could connect a phone without taking it out of a pocket.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
too bad.. was hoping for it to connect over WIFI too..
taking out the phone and plugging it in several times a day will/would be annoying..

but as long as it only supports apple maps its not really useful anyway.

SierraRomeo7

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
Anyone to create a protest Website to put pressure on VAG for integration in Audi and Porsche ?

I'm part of the crowd that says my next car purchase will depend on the availability of CarPlay.

And I guess I'm not the only one !
Get in touch.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
I'm hoping this will filter down to third-party head unit manufacturers for the few (!) of us not planning on buying a brand new Merc or Ferrari in the near future!

Although this may depend on how closely the whole thing integrates with the car. I can see some cool apps being created if the phone can start collecting info such as fuel economy or accelerator/brake pedal usage.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Start countdown to article about how the NSA is working with the car manufacturers to hijack this connection.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Anyone to create a protest Website to put pressure on VAG for integration in Audi and Porsche ?

I'm part of the crowd that says my next car purchase will depend on the availability of CarPlay.

And I guess I'm not the only one !
Get in touch.

don't worry, they will have to cave in eventually.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Will after market head units be able to take advantage of this? Ie, the appradio unit

amnichols10

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Wonder if Toyota will bring that same update to Lexus. Will it replace the current UI's that are their?

SierraRomeo7

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
I hear you, the sooner the better.
But I want them to feel their mistake if you see what I mean.

I truly don't get it. iOS users are far more valuable to luxury car makers are they not ?

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Weirdly (sadly?) my next car choice will probably heavily revolve around this type of integration.

I don't think it's weird, I think it's pretty important. I can't say I would would buy a random car just because it has this feature, but I could definitely see it being the tiebreaker between two cars I like, if one supports it (or supports it better) and the other does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.