Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boatboy24

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
This is really cool.

But what if your spouse is an Android or Windows phone user? If you put carplay in the car, are there no infotainment options? Or (hopefully) there's a factory setting that could be used if an iPhone isn't plugged in?

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Damn it, now that they are talking about the Wireless Option, i actually want it..

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Noticeably absent is Pandora. They're feelings are going to be hurt when they find out they weren't invited to the party. Well, they probably know by now. Sucks for them.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
You can use that too.

Screen%20Shot%202014-03-03%20at%2010.59.11.png

And of course you can just tell Siri what you want without taking eyes off the road at all. Three ways to control, that's pretty versatile.

OK great, problem solved!

I don't give much on Siri in the car though. When I was commuting for 6 month every time I needed it my reception was so bad it didn't work. That was on the Autobahn though so thats another story.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
As long as I can adjust it while driving, I may have a reason to upgrade. Until then, I see no reason to have this feature when I will undoubtedly just be doing it on my phone if controls are locked out while the car is in operation.

dannytip

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
I wonder how long it will be before we see aftermarket headunits supporting this.

In theory they should be cheap as it seems like the screen is 'dumb' and everything is powered by the phone itself meaning the headunit is only really a screen and an amplifier.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
This is really cool.

But what if your spouse is an Android or Windows phone user? If you put carplay in the car, are there no infotainment options? Or (hopefully) there's a factory setting that could be used if an iPhone isn't plugged in?

This is a convenience feature for those in the ecosystem and will help leverage households into all using iOS. "I was going to get an xyz phone, but my wife/husbands car has CarPlay, so I got an iPhone."

Last edited:

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Looks nice enough. Not really staggeringly brilliant, but I suppose the main thing is how well it's executed.

An SDK for third-party Apps would be nice, although I understand there are probably a huge number of regulatory and safety issues with that. That said, Apple do approve all Apps by hand, so theoretically it could be possible to screen CarPlay-compatible Apps to see if they're too distracting.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
CarPlay still won't be the success they want without a proper aftermarket installationfor currer cars.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Who else thinks this is a bad idea?

While driving you need to watch the road, not try to hit the right part of a touchscreen which is in a place where your arm doesn't usually go.
In my experience it is much much safer and easier to control the infotainment system with a couple of buttons and a scroll wheel (like Audi).

I don't think it's a bad idea in general but it certainly should be very carefully thought out in terms of what apps are allowed and when. while a car is in motion they should strongly restrict what can be used and how. I expect that car manufacturers will consider this. They are used to such considerations. Apple is not but they should definitely think about it too. Otherwise it can be really unsafe as you say.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Who else thinks this is a bad idea?

While driving you need to watch the road, not try to hit the right part of a touchscreen which is in a place where your arm doesn't usually go.
In my experience it is much much safer and easier to control the infotainment system with a couple of buttons and a scroll wheel (like Audi).

Use Siri?

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I'm really happy that this type of integration is finally taking place. After market HU's have done such a poor job of phone integration. cough<pioneer appradio> cough

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
I wonder how long it will be before we see aftermarket headunits supporting this.

In theory they should be cheap as it seems like the screen is 'dumb' and everything is powered by the phone itself meaning the headunit is only really a screen and an amplifier.

I have though recently about buying an iPad mini to use with my amp as my car stereo...

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
CarPlay still won't be the success they want without a proper aftermarket installationfor currer cars.

actually it would still serve its job. you just want it for aftermarket, as do i. and I'm sure there will be licensing so I'm not sweating it.

----------

But that's the problem , if people can install whatever, it becomes more of a distraction

that isn't what he's saying. aftermarket head units are just that -- car stereos installed in any car. has nothing to do w/ other apps.

----------

I don't think it's a bad idea in general but it certainly should be very carefully thought out in terms of what apps are allowed and when. while a car is in motion they should strongly restrict what can be used and how. I expect that car manufacturers will consider this. They are used to such considerations. Apple is not but they should definitely think about it too. Otherwise it can be really unsafe as you say.

do you people *really* believe apple hasn't thought about this? REALLY?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.