Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Campus 2 project, which includes the giant "spaceship"-esque building envisioned by Steve Jobs, has been thoroughly outlined in city plans and models that depict the company's vision for the space, but in an interview with Architectural Record, Norman Foster, who designed the campus, gives some additional insight and context on the planning process behind the project.

Foster, who is the chairman of Foster + Partners, has led the construction of multiple high-profile buildings, including the massive Hearst Tower in New York and the bean-shaped McLaren Technology Centre that rests on an artificial lake. He helped Jobs design the campus based on Jobs' love of the Main Quad on the Stanford campus, and his desire to reintroduce native flora to the area.

apple_campus_2_sept_13.jpg
Foster did a series of case studies, inspired by a London square with a park in the center, which eventually evolved into a perimeter area surrounding a larger outdoor park.
So a series of organic segments in the early studies started to form enclosures, all of which were in turn related to the scale of the Stanford campus. These studies finally morphed into a circular building that would enclose the private space in the middle--essentially a park that would replicate the original California landscape, and parts of it would also recapture the orchards of the past. The car would visually be banished, and tarmac would be replaced by greenery, and car parks by jogging and bicycle trails.
According to Foster, though the building is large, spanning more than a mile around, it's also compact, much like an airport. To combat the sheer size of the building, its sections have been broken up with cafes, lobbies, and entrances, with each section of the building carefully constructed with social interactions in mind.
Of course, you have got an enormous range of skills in this building--from software programmers, from designers, marketing, retail--but you can move vertically in the building as well as horizontally. The proximity, the adjacencies are very, very carefully considered.
The campus also houses miles of jogging and cycling trails, and Foster says that more than 1,000 bikes will be kept on the site for employees to travel around the campus. Landscaping connections and pathways will also help it to be more easily traversable, and parking will be underground to avoid marring the scenery.

Currently, construction on Apple's Campus 2 project is well under way, and just a few months after receiving final approval for the campus, Apple has demolished all of the existing buildings on the site, allowing the building portion of the project to begin.

When finished, the campus will house 12,000 Apple employees and will also include a fitness center, a presentation center, and more. Apple hopes to complete the project by 2016.

Article Link: Apple Campus 2 Designer Gives Insight Into Planning Process, Talks Scale

Bistroengine

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Absolutely love the design of this building. Wonder if they will ever give tours of the facility.

Calexander3103

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
Underground parking to save the scenery seems like a fantastic idea, but room for 12,000 employees??? I doubt very many will be carpooling, and from the size of the park outside of the building, public transportation will only be able to get you so close. You've set yourself up for a truly MASSIVE project Apple...

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Underground parking to save the scenery seems like a fantastic idea, but room for 12,000 employees??? I doubt very many will be carpooling, and from the size of the park outside of the building, public transportation will only be able to get you so close. You've set yourself up for a truly MASSIVE project Apple...

The idea is that the building will be so magnificent that no one will want to go home... ever.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
Sounds absolutely stunning. Jobs had a great and grand vision for this, I'm so glad it's going to be realised. I can't wait to come visit it! :apple:

Mark1981

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
Fix the Mail App

Hopefully someone in this new building will be tasked by Tim Cook to fix the broken email application.

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Besides the grandiose gesture it certainly is an interesting concept, but I wonder how people will feel working in the building… it might be a bit disorienting (shape) and dehumanizing (scale)?

I guess we'll find out, assuming somebody manages to escape :p

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
What if you have a meeting at the other side of the building??? no elevators, time to walk... and a lot!

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
They forgot to mention the part about it being able to transform into a giant air ship and fly.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Looks as if there's not much of a chance that Tim will get a corner office.

I can't believe that they're initially planning less than a thousand car recharging stations. They'll likely need an iCloud-based reservation system to manage parking.

I will be interesting to see what architectural cues will be used to let employees know where they are in the building.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This will dance circles around the pentagon! :cool:

Th Pentagon is extremely difficult to get around in the simple doors, even finding a bathroom. The building is so old there are so many cables above the drop ceilings it not even funny.

In some sections maintenance crew are constantly fixing broken water pipes.

ksnell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
What if you have a meeting at the other side of the building??? no elevators, time to walk... and a lot!

That's what the bicycles are for. Besides, biography on Steve spoke of his love for taking walks when thinking or conversing about something important.

bovis

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2014
...here at Globex, we don't believe in walls!

As a matter of fact, I didn't even give you my coat!

inevergaveyoumyjacket.png

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
bikes

With a building this big, bikes are a good way to get around. But is that just in the ring-park or do they have bikes lanes in the building? It's California but it does rain there sometimes !

----------

I will be interesting to see what architectural cues will be used to let employees know where they are in the building.

That's what your iPhone is for.

I bet there won't be a version for Android :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.