Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
These guys would work around the clock and sacrifice so much family time to devote to the company. I'm happy for the guy to get out now and live a little!

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
what people generally don't seem to grasp is that people in position or seniority at this sort of level, do the job for the love of it and because they excel at it - as proven by the positions they hold on various boards etc...

normally, at the start it is for the money but as people develop and gain national/worldwide acclaim in their field it moves to a way of life

once at that point where they look at retirement, the prospect to then sit back and not have anything to occupy the mind is very unhealthy and often people degrade extremely quickly in this sort of setting (seen often across the globe and witnessed personally by me with a close family member) and taking board membership is often a way to keep a hand in, keep a mental occupancy and also maintain a wealth of connections

personally I am on the board of 2 medium health organisations in England, one unpaid, one paid ... both done for the passion and love of it, not the financial motivation

ABCDEF-Hex

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
NC
From a Forbes article:

While Oppenheimer probably doesn’t need any more Apple stock to vest his September 2010 award for 100,000 shares fully vests in September while his November 2011 award for 75,000 shares fully vests in March 2016.

Nice to help out in the transition - I'm sure this is just a coincidence.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I would love to know how much Goldman Sachs is paying him to leave.

Board members don't get paid all that much. People join mostly for the connections. The timing is a bit odd, though. He is going to be an outside director, meaning he won't be a Goldman executive. Maybe he's going to do something philanthropic or venture capital-based. In any case, he might have told Cook a year ago he wanted to leave which is why they hired the new controller who will be replacing him as CFO.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I would love to know how much Goldman Sachs is paying him to leave.

He is joining goldmans board. He will be doing considerably less work. He probably just wanted to retire from working everyday in a high stress job. Good luck to him. He served Apple well.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
What's interesting is that the new Apple CFO might have a different opinion about how to manage Apple's huge cash hoard. Maybe later this year we'll read about a larger dividend or another buyback, etc. Technically it's still Cook's call but surely the new CFO will have his ear. That's why this is news. Not the Goldman part of the story.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Contrast this to Apple's last organizational announcement when they announced Scott Forstall was leaving. He got one sentence, and it didn't even wish him well in his future endeavors. Just shows how much he must have been disliked at Apple, at least amongst the executive team.

Apple also announced that Scott Forstall will be leaving Apple next year and will serve as an advisor to CEO Tim Cook in the interim.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
He's on the board of directors. That is not a full time job. Even so, board of directors usually don't get paid. If he is getting paid, it won't even be close to a fraction of what he was making at Apple. Besides, as I said, being on the board of directors is not a full time job. Tim Cook is on the board of directors at Nike, yet he still finds time to run Apple :)

No. Directors of large, profitable, publicly held corporations generally get paid well. At GS, it's @$500K per year--paid in GS stock. Not too bad for a dozen meetings a year.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
What makes for a good company are great products and good profits. What makes for a great company is added social responsibility. I would like to think this is the way that :apple: is headed.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
If I was a financial officer in Apple, I'd leave as well after Cook announced he's a crazy fool that won't disclose spending to investors. There is no mistake why this man is leaving a couple days after Cook's bizarre flip out; there are no coincidences.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
For all of those thinking that he is leaving Apple to take another job at Goldman, that's not what's happening here.

Boards of directors are quite often made up of executives from other companies, former political figures and former high level-government leaders (Think cabinet members).

They meet several times a year to offer their views and broadly discuss general strategic policy and planning for the enterprise or non-profit on whose board they serve. People often use the compensation for serving on a board (typically $200K to $400K annually) as a sort of pension. Although in Oppenheimer's case I doubt seriously he needs it. The timing of these two announcements sort of makes sense. Peter Oppenheimer, CFO of Apple, one of the most financially successful companies on the planet dresses up the board of Goldman. A couple of days later he announces his retirement. His name had more panache before then.

Step back and think of this. As an earlier poster mentioned, a lot of people at this level do what they do for their own egos and legacy. I'm sure Oppenheimer probably looked at Goldman's issues over the years, and said to himself, "I'd bet I could make a difference if I were on their board."

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Why does this article mention 'retirement'? He's not retiring, he's leaving for Goldman Sachs, right?

Being on a board of directors is not a full-time job. In fact it's barely even a part-time job.

It means spending more time cruising around on a yacht or something.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Now if they would just show Bill Campbell the door.

I realize he was a long time Friend-of-Steve, but the Mac versions of his company's product lines are an total embarrassment, and have been for years now.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Now I'd love it if Apple would announce they're no longer providing guidance to Wall Street and no longer releasing shipment figures. Google doesn't provide guidance. Hardly any of Apple's competitors consistently provide sales figures. If the SEC doesn't require guidance, doesn't require Apple to disclose how many iPhones they shipped in a quarter then Apple should stop providing it. This is one area where I think they should follow their competitors.

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Wow. What is up with the sour comments here? I don't know a thing about the guy. Why is he being compared to a vampire squid and the like? :(

icloud87

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2014
now,some apple leader leave company ,

scott forstall
bob mansfield
and this guy and couple more guy

apple leader now how many left , 7 or 8

these could tell , apple going down slowly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.