Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
How a corporation (like Apple) spends its money on acquisitions is one of the things that a CFO oversees. His advice and input on the matter will certainly be given a heavy consideration.

Perhaps…. the new CFO Luca Maestri will be a little different, and will be more aggressive with using Apple's cash hoard?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Good for Peter. Now he wont have to listen to all the whining ANALysts every quarter when Apple earns more year over year and the continue to whine and moan like little babies. Apple didn't get to where it is listening to whining suits.

They wanted a smart watch and samsung gave us one......and IT SUCKS. Truth is they don't know what the hell they want and should shut their mouths.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's a perspective I think I'll never have. So when he dies, maybe there will be another zero at the end of his bank account balance?

Maybe I'm just lazy, but if I ever managed to save a small fraction of what these high level execs pull in, I would retire. I mean RETIRE retire, not retire and go on to some other position elsewhere.

Think of it. All the resources you'd need to have a lovely home(s), travel wherever you wanted, and be generous to your loved ones and any charitable causes that struck your fancy.

Unless being a comptroller THRILLED me to death, I would be out and done years ago to enjoy the years I have on earth and explore every nook of the planet.

I hear this argument a lot, and for the most part I agree on a personal level. For instance, if I won the lottery (which I don't play) then I would give a sizable amount to charity and spend the rest of my life helping to raise my daughter instead of some stranger, traveling the world as a photographer and spend some time becoming a better painter. I wouldn't just stop doing everything, but focus more on my passions which only pay part of my bills as a designer.

But that's what separates most normal people from the insanely rich. Not all rich people—especially those born into riches. I'm talking about first generation rich. Lots of these people are incredibly driven to succeed, even after accomplishing many things. They just keep going because it's in their blood. This is part of why they were able to become rich in the first place, and a good part of the reason why most normal people don't become rich. We're lazier. Not lazy—just not as neurotic as these people who obsess over their work. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. Everyone has their priorities. But trying to get these people to completely retire is kind of like telling them to stop being who they are. They just can't because work isn't work to them. It's another challenge to overcome. It's another reason to keep going. It's their life and they wouldn't choose to do otherwise because it would be less fun to them.

Like most traits, it's admirable to a certain extent. Everything in moderation. If I got bored with my theoretical post-lottery life, I would open up some sort of creative studio. Either gaming, design, or art. Maybe I would make more money, but I'd be having fun. I would probably guess that most people who win the lottery get bored. Maybe because they weren't passionate about anything before they became rich? If you were bored and boring before getting money, then chances are you will be bored and boring after getting money. You'll just feel worse because you'll think "I have all this money, why do I feel this way?" and try to spend yourself into a better life.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It's a perspective I think I'll never have. So when he dies, maybe there will be another zero at the end of his bank account balance?

Maybe I'm just lazy, but if I ever managed to save a small fraction of what these high level execs pull in, I would retire. I mean RETIRE retire, not retire and go on to some other position elsewhere.

Think of it. All the resources you'd need to have a lovely home(s), travel wherever you wanted, and be generous to your loved ones and any charitable causes that struck your fancy.

Unless being a comptroller THRILLED me to death, I would be out and done years ago to enjoy the years I have on earth and explore every nook of the planet.

Some of this work is probably more fun than you realize. Also, when "just one more year" add another $3 million to your bank account, it is probably harder to walk away than you realize.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
He's on the board of directors. That is not a full time job. Even so, board of directors usually don't get paid. If he is getting paid, it won't even be close to a fraction of what he was making at Apple. Besides, as I said, being on the board of directors is not a full time job. Tim Cook is on the board of directors at Nike, yet he still finds time to run Apple :)

Board of directors. CEO pay raise? rubber stamp
Ceo pay raise? rubber stamp...etc. All across the F500...

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Can't wait for that current idiot to retire.

Speaking of idiots, a statement like that reflects far worse on you than it ever would on Cook. Anyone who knows anything about Cook knows that's the furthest thing from the truth. However, anyone who knows anything about you......

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
He's on the board of directors. That is not a full time job. Even so, board of directors usually don't get paid. If he is getting paid, it won't even be close to a fraction of what he was making at Apple. Besides, as I said, being on the board of directors is not a full time job. Tim Cook is on the board of directors at Nike, yet he still finds time to run Apple :)

and Eddie Cue is on Ferrari's board.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
He is joining goldmans board. He will be doing considerably less work. He probably just wanted to retire from working everyday in a high stress job. Good luck to him. He served Apple well.

Considerably less work but also considerable amount of power on a world wide scale. The GS board is probably briefed on all major economic issues and movements and being part of the meetings where one of the most powerful private companies contemplates its next move has got be more interesting than playing even more golf. It is not a full time job or even a part time job, but it will probably be very interesting. Seems like a great move.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Considerably less work but also considerable amount of power on a world wide scale. The GS board is probably briefed on all major economic issues and movements and being part of the meetings where one of the most powerful private companies contemplates its next move has got be more interesting than playing even more golf. It is not a full time job or even a part time job, but it will probably be very interesting. Seems like a great move.

Not exactly private.

elev8d

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008

Incorrect. Average person sitting on a Board at a fortune 500 company makes $234K/yr for about 4 hours of work a week. It's the best job you can have.

Source: http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/pay-raises-expected-for-fortune-500-board-directors.html/

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
If I was a financial officer in Apple, I'd leave as well after Cook announced he's a crazy fool that won't disclose spending to investors. There is no mistake why this man is leaving a couple days after Cook's bizarre flip out; there are no coincidences.

There must have been some events that happened in your world but not in mine. There was an event a few days ago where Tim Cook sent some ******** packing on the shareholder meeting, but that was generally applauded.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Actually, I think it's everyone's business. They are responsible for many investor's money.

And he will no longer be responsible for investors money, seeing as he just announced his retirement. Explain again how thats any of our business what he chooses to do after leaving Apple?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
now,some apple leader leave company ,

scott forstall
bob mansfield
and this guy and couple more guy

apple leader now how many left , 7 or 8

these could tell , apple going down slowly

Safari needs to add something that goes way beyond a spelling checker :D

Well, Bob Mansfield... A few Apple employees reading this are asking him right now: "Bob, I thought you left? What are you doing here? ". Then there is this new guy, Luca Maestri. Guess what: In every company, people start, people get promoted, people leave.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Let me throw another idea, maybe he wanted a new challenge? I don't always leave for a higher wage, so long as the potential is there....

Maybe it doesn't matter if you make $30 mil and take a pay cut to $25 mil but it does matter when you are making $250k and take a pay cut to $175k

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
You have to realize something.

You are a C level employee. You are used to hard work, decision making, and probably a large salary.

It's hard to just stop working and 'retire'. People need something to keep occupied - even work related still. Granted being on the BOD isn't time consuming, but at least its something.

Vacations are only vacations when you work for it. If you vacation all year long for the next 20 years, the vacations start to seem like work.

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
Not really anyone's business, is it.

He did not say he DEMANDS to know.
Although it should be peoples right to know how much the criminals at Goldman Sachs take for themselves after they stole it from the working people.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.

If you think he's not gonna be getting paid as a BOD for goldman sachs you're sadly misinformed LOL.

Technically he may not have a SALARY but....

----------

If I was a financial officer in Apple, I'd leave as well after Cook announced he's a crazy fool that won't disclose spending to investors. There is no mistake why this man is leaving a couple days after Cook's bizarre flip out; there are no coincidences.

Spot on the money ;) :D

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Not really anyone's business, is it.

Not if you live outside the U.S., but for those who see all these exorbitant payoffs to people who work at big businesses, we wonder why there are 20-25 per cent of our children who are going to bed hungry and why our veterans cannot get the treatment they need when they return from combat zones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.