Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon.jpg
Apple's much-anticipated iOS 7.1 update could come any day now, according to new information from John Gruber of Daring Fireball. Gruber has heard that Apple has plans to release an iOS 7.1-reliant app that will stream the iTunes Festival performances at SXSW, and as SXSW will begin on March 11, iOS 7.1 will need to be released to the public ahead of that date.
Apple's first iTunes Festival in the U.S. starts a week from today at SXSW in Austin. Apple is going to stream the performances to iOS devices using an app, but I've heard from a little birdie that the app requires iOS 7.1 (which explains why the app isn't out yet). That means iOS 7.1 should ship any day now.
iOS 7.1 has been in testing since mid-November, and has seen five different developer betas thus far with the last beta coming on February 4. The operating system update includes a number of visual tweaks, including revamped shift and caps locks keys on the keyboard, refined icons for the Phone, FaceTime, and Messages apps, and a new look for several aspects of the Phone dialer.

Details on features in past beta releases can be found in our previous beta posts: Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 3, Beta 4 and Beta 5.

A mid-March release date for iOS 7.1 is in line with several previous reports that have pointed to a March launch for the operating system. Apple has yet to seed a Golden Master build to developers, however.

Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, and London Grammar kick off the SXSW iTunes Festival with a performance on March 11 that begins at 7:30 PM CST.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Update Due 'Any Day Now' With Support for SXSW App

syndalis

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
It's seriously about time.

we have been on the 7.0.x chain for too long, and there are lots of minor issues in 7 that need to be resolved, almost half a year after it came out.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
wednesday of this week! i think if they released on monday the day before the app comes out that might be pushing it. we will see though!

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
So no GM? :confused::eek:

Obviously not.
It's only a point release.

'Gold Master' is the name given to the disc sent to the presses for duplication... or to the factory for flashing to millions of new iPhone's to be shipped. We aren't necessarily expecting a new hardware release in that vein.

Scyanide

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Hasn't even come out yet but Safari seems snappier already!

...sorry had to.

I'm excited for this update. A lot of changes I've been waiting for. I would have gotten the betas already but I didn't want to deal with the Xcode betas this time around. Kind of waiting for the release to update my projects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.