Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Oscar, a new Kickstarter project currently seeking funding, is an Arduino-compatible adapter that's able to connect a high-resolution screen to a computer. The adapter comes attached to the same 9.7-inch display used in Apple's Retina iPads, and uses DisplayPort or Thunderbolt to connect to a computer.

When connected to a Mac, the Oscar adapter allows the high-resolution 2048 x 1536 panel to be used as a second screen.

OSCAR is an adapter that allows you to connect a super high resolution 9.7" screen, often found in tablets, to your computer. It comes pre-connected to the LCD panel ready to be attached and is compatible will all operating systems using a Thunderbolt or DisplayPort connection. The board is Arduino compatible which makes modifying the behaviour easy and all the software and hardware is open source.
The complete Oscar kit includes an LCD screen that comes with an acrylic case and a stand, allowing it to be used for a range of second-screen purposes. The adapter included with the display powers the LED backlight and controls the power supply. Because it's Arduino compatible, the adapter can be used to control variables like backlight brightness through USB.

oscarkit.jpg
The full Oscar kit, with display, laser cut acrylic case, power supply, stand, and DisplayPort/USB cables can be obtained through a £150 pledge, equivalent to approximately $250. The screen alone can be purchased for £110, or $183, and the panels are expected to begin shipping in July of 2014.

Update 1:09 PM PST: As MacRumors forum user rootyb has pointed out, a similar product from Adafruit is already available for purchase for $250.

Article Link: 'Oscar' Adapter Connects Retina iPad Display Panel to Macs via Thunderbolt

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
The only way I can see this being utilised well is hooked on to the side of an iMac/Cinema display somehow. It just seems entirely pointless hooking a 10" display up to a 13/15/17" laptop.

PBUser167

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2006
Only way I see this as remotely interesting or worth while is if you can capture touch back to the computer. But, it looks like display only without a digitizer. Maybe they think people want to run an iPad display off of an Arduino? If you want a second screen on your computer, just buy one.

macaddict06

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
about 3 meters from here. *points*
Neat, I guess, but am I missing something here? Seems like this would only be important if:
1. You could plug in an iPad and use it as an external monitor or
2. There is some additional benefit of using an Arduino for some expanded purpose.

Doesn't seem like this is the case, so I guess good for them that they figured out how to make an external monitor that plugs into Thunderbolt...:confused:

GBrooks

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
London, UK
I read this post a few times - I'm still not too sure I understand.
Does this differ to an additional external screen whatsoever?
Looks interesting, but is there any additional benefit to using this?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I read this post a few times - I'm still not too sure I understand.
Does this differ to an additional external screen whatsoever?
Looks interesting, but is there any additional benefit to using this?

It's 264DPI.

arn

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
There are apps for that. What advantage does a hard-wired solution offer?

Probably no lag? Not that I'm going to buy this, just saying..

----------

True, but couldn't I hook up my iPad wirelessly with Air Display and use that?
Maybe this can extend your screen, whereas Air Display only mirrors?

There are iOS apps that can do both - mirror and extend. I'm assuming this will eliminate any lag, and the need of a wireless network.

----------

Or you could just buy the same thing now.

https://www.adafruit.com/qualia

LOL. Same price too. ~$250.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
For that price I'd rather have a 24" monitor and money to spare. I love high resolution - nothing but diminishing returns here IMO.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
This is cool, but why isn't there a way to simply use an iPad as a second monitor? Also where do these guys get the iPad display from?

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Love the idea. It's a special solution for special situations, definitely. One possible usage could be as on-stage display for musicians. The iPad is not yet running all the software I need on stage, and using this together with a Mac Mini might be a nice alternative.

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Love the idea. It's a special solution for special situations, definitely. One possible usage could be as on-stage display for musicians. The iPad is not yet running all the software I need on stage, and using this together with a Mac Mini might be a nice alternative.

No way a musician in general will use it. This is a result looking for a solution.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
External LCD Display

I've been looking for something similar to this for a while.

I want an LCD display so I can use my MacBook easier in the sunlight.
I don't need color but it'd be nice to have shades of grey/gray.

I don't care if it's actually LCD, just so that I can read it in the sunlight. My old XO OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) looked excellent and was VERY legible in the sunshine.

It can plug into the USB or VGA (or lightning) or some combo of them all. I'd just like to be able to get some work done while outside and be able to see my display.

Thank you for ANY suggestions.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
whats this good for? did we just re-invent the wheel here

solutions looking for problems.
I've been looking to do exactly this. I've seen how-tos online, but haven't had the time to bust out the soldering iron.

For me, it would be a display I can move among headless Mac Minis. Not what I would call a huge market, but it's important to me. I'm tired of having to carry the dang things over to where I have a display so I can see what made them crash or because I misconfigured something remotely.
Or you could just buy the same thing now.

https://www.adafruit.com/qualia
Excellent!

ogilloire

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2014
True, but couldn't I hook up my iPad wirelessly with Air Display and use that?
Maybe this can extend your screen, whereas Air Display only mirrors?

I use AirDisplay and you can create another screen, not just a mirror. I think it a more flexible solution than dedicated (non-touch?) display proposed here. But perhaps thunderbolt connection is more reliable and can show less lag.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I use AirDisplay and you can create another screen, not just a mirror. I think it a more flexible solution than dedicated (non-touch?) display proposed here. But perhaps thunderbolt connection is more reliable and can show less lag.

Other iPad/Mac screen extenders are available. I use the excellent DisplayPad myself.

The only difference between it and Air Display (apart from being dramatically cheaper) is that it only supports Mac, not Windoze.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
The iPad is not yet running all the software I need on stage, and using this together with a Mac Mini might be a nice alternative.
For me, it would be a display I can move among headless Mac Minis.
There has been displays of this size for ages. Do you both have any use of 264dpi?

I want an LCD display so I can use my MacBook easier in the sunlight.
Are you looking for macbook with matte screen (I am...) or do you need e-reader-like screen (available natural backlight)?

I'd just like to have hdmi-in dongle to my iPad (which screen should also be matte). If it also had video encoder chip inside the dongle, it would be perfect viewfinder & recorder for video camera...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.