Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I read that this show could have anti-Islamic leanings? Am I reading too much into this considering the producers did 24 (which could be seen as right wing agitprop)?

Still intrigued to download this series soon and watch it for myself.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i can't believe we have to wait until october!

Yeah...

I read that this show could have anti-Islamic leanings? Am I reading too much into this considering the producers did 24 (which could be seen as right wing agitprop)?

Still intrigued to download this series soon and watch it for myself.

Well, it is U.S. intelligence countering Middle East terrorists, so it could seem that way.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Started to watch Season 1 and just finished the pilot episode. And wow, I really love all that jazz music used in the show.

Carrie is going to be one character I identify with since I have ADHD. She reminds me a lot of myself.

Nicolas Brody looks scary. Kind of reminds me of my Marine buddy a lot.

----------

Why isn't Season 3 available on the US iTunes but already on Australian iTunes?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Started to watch Season 1 and just finished the pilot episode. And wow, I really love all that jazz music used in the show.

Carrie is going to be one character I identify with since I have ADHD. She reminds me a lot of myself.

Nicolas Brody looks scary. Kind of reminds me of my Marine buddy a lot.

----------

Hopefully you have a good handle on ADHD. No idea about iTunes.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

I think it has to do with the release date of the actual physical copy. Since the DVD/BluRay is not yet released, the digital is also not available. And, I don't think they do an early release on digital formats of TV Shows. If you have Showtime with your cable/satellite provider, you can watch it on Showtime Anytime.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I got to finishing episode 3 of season 1. Very good drama and I like looking at the rather meaningful "conflict" between Saul who is a rationalist and Carrie who tends to be passionate and impulsive. Both are sharp characters and yet they work well in the framework of the CIA.

I am surprised that this show isn't more popular. And I haven't analyzed fully the post-9/11 themes yet for this show.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I got to finishing episode 3 of season 1. Very good drama and I like looking at the rather meaningful "conflict" between Saul who is a rationalist and Carrie who tends to be passionate and impulsive. Both are sharp characters and yet they work well in the framework of the CIA.

I am surprised that this show isn't more popular. And I haven't analyzed fully the post-9/11 themes yet for this show.

I thought it was extremely popular, no? Although I've loved it, my criticism of the show is that Carrie, although brilliant is a lose cannon. Although it could be argued that the unusual situation dictated it, I don't really see her as a field operative in real life, but hey this IS entertainment. :)

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
I thought it was extremely popular, no? Although I've loved it, my criticism of the show is that Carrie, although brilliant is a lose cannon. Although it could be argued that the unusual situation dictated it, I don't really see her as a field operative in real life, but hey this IS entertainment. :)

I think that this show is reasonably popular but more people have seen Game of Thrones.

As much as I like Carrie quite a bit (she is a fan of jazz music so I'm game) I am actually a bigger fan of Saul Berenson. Mandy Patinkin is just a wonderful and delightful actor to watch. Don't you agree with me?

Plus, Claire Danes' portrayal of bipolar-ism is a lot more accurate that than of Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think that this show is reasonably popular but more people have seen Game of Thrones.

As much as I like Carrie quite a bit (she is a fan of jazz music so I'm game) I am actually a bigger fan of Saul Berenson. Mandy Patinkin is just a wonderful and delightful actor to watch. Don't you agree with me?

Plus, Claire Danes' portrayal of bipolar-ism is a lot more accurate that than of Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook.

I like all of the major characters. Saul is also wonderful. :) :)

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
On the last episode of season 1 and I am really liking Carrie quite a bit. I admire her tenacity and very probing insight. Poor Saul's distrust of her judgment could lead to way more suspense than expected.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
On the last episode of season 1 and I am really liking Carrie quite a bit. I admire her tenacity and very probing insight. Poor Saul's distrust of her judgment could lead to way more suspense than expected.

Saul has mixed feelings about Carrie, he sees her genius, he loves her in a platonic way, but recognizes her shortcomings.

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Watching Carrie at the end of season 1 undergoing shock therapy really broke my heart. Wow, I know that it was symbolic that she wants to try to forget Brody but her heart for him cannot be destroyed.

I'm willing to bet that Brody will come back to Carrie someday. It's just a matter of when.

Season 2, man, I need to download you off iTunes soon LOL.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watching Carrie at the end of season 1 undergoing shock therapy really broke my heart. Wow, I know that it was symbolic that she wants to try to forget Brody but her heart for him cannot be destroyed.

I'm willing to bet that Brody will come back to Carrie someday. It's just a matter of when.

Season 2, man, I need to download you off iTunes soon LOL.

Ya never know... ;)

albertfallickwa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2014
Very good start to this season... I still need to catch up on seasons 2 and 3 but season 4 is very promising. Carrie seems to be ruthless however, is she not?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Carrie seems to be ruthless however, is she not?

Carrie seems troubled, more than anything to me. Considering its a show about tracking down international terrorists, it was quite striking that the most tension-filled moments came as she was bathing her infant daughter.

Yeah.

This is the moment when Homeland parts company with its Israel-based inspiration. And personally, I think this is a good thing, because somewhere along the line Homeland lost the plot. Without getting into to many details, the political/social/security situation in Israel is fundamentally different from the US, and trying to build a multi-season show about a soldier returned from many years in terrorist captivity was going to inevitably run into plausibility issues.

The Season Four Homeland, by comparison, is working with a clean sheet of paper. We get to keep the best of the original, without the ludicrous doomed romance with a "is he or isn't he" terrorist. Between her daughter, her former boss, and Quinn - Carrie's got enough on her plate to keep things interesting.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the year.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Very good start to this season... I still need to catch up on seasons 2 and 3 but season 4 is very promising. Carrie seems to be ruthless however, is she not?

She's too focused on work, throwing her mind and body into it. I've watched Russian spies in the Americans sleep around for advantage, and she fulfills this roll admirably. Watched the first 4 episodes of Season 4 tonight. Have 4 more to catch up. At this point it's safe to say if you are Carrie's important asset, you'll be laid and lied to, lol. They still got it for this season. :)

I know I've mentioned this before, but I don't remember if anyone answered this. Is there anyone who remembers Quinn in Gettysburg, killing his own men and wounding himself for appearances?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was mistaken, there was a total of 5 shows to date and the story is heating up nicely. This is an example of a show that stands in stark relief as compared to relatively amatuerist productions like Helix and The Last Ship.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Big shocker on Homeland last night. Didn't see that coming till the last 1/4 second.

I'll be honest and say I much, much prefer this new Homeland to the absurd nonsense with Sgt. Brody. While I'm sure there are plenty of technical inaccuracies, this seems much more plausible and compelling as a story.

And isn't Mark Moses (earlier known as Duck Phillips on Mad Men) perfect as the boozehound, sad-sack, totally-owned-by-Pakistani-intelligence, husband of the US Ambassador?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Last episode, wow.

I'm confused about the job of a CIA station chief. Thought they were supposed to spend most of their time in the station running/managing the show, not out "recruiting" ;) although I admit, the first girl assigned to recruit the kid did not succeed.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Last episode, wow.

I'm confused about the job of a CIA station chief. Thought they were supposed to spend most of their time in the station running/managing the show, not out "recruiting" ;) although I admit, the first girl assigned to recruit the kid did not succeed.

If you will remember, the last CIA Station Chief, was out all the time at all hours of the night and day "gathering intelligence" with no real accountability either. It seems that the job comes with a lot of freedom.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I'm confused about the job of a CIA station chief.

I think this is an instance of Homeland taking more than a little creative license.

I think the show's creators wanted to give Carrie the Station Chief title to show that, despite her problems, her career was moving ahead nicely. (Otherwise why wouldn't she just quit and get married?) And, as a general rule, the CIA has a ban on covering its officers as "Journalists" of any description.

But, yes. The job of Station Chief in most Embassies is far more of an Administrative and Executive one than operational.

Personally, creative license aside, I think the show - this season - is doing a great job in its fictional portrayal of America's overseas intelligence operations.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
If you will remember, the last CIA Station Chief, was out all the time at all hours of the night and day "gathering intelligence" with no real accountability either. It seems that the job comes with a lot of freedom.

Within the show's ecosystem this is true. :)

I think this is an instance of Homeland taking more than a little creative license.

I think the show's creators wanted to give Carrie the Station Chief title to show that, despite her problems, her career was moving ahead nicely. (Otherwise why wouldn't she just quit and get married?) And, as a general rule, the CIA has a ban on covering its officers as "Journalists" of any description.

But, yes. The job of Station Chief in most Embassies is far more of an Administrative and Executive one than operational.

Personally, creative license aside, I think the show - this season - is doing a great job in its fictional portrayal of America's overseas intelligence operations.

I think Carrie started out kind of like an administrator until Fara failed to recruit the kid, then she jumped in. I wonder if Seduction 101 is taught to US spies?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I wonder if Seduction 101 is taught to US spies?

This is purely speculation, but I'd be pretty certain that that sexual seduction techniques are not on the training curriculum for recruits to the CIA's Directorate of Operations.

(BTW, Homeland seems to blur the distinction between Intelligence and Operations. Intelligence is analysts looking at data and reports. Operations is going out and recruiting sources. Quick: Tell me which one Carrie works for? That is, I think, a holdover from the show's Israeli roots.)

I'd probably go so far as to say that becoming sexually involved with a source was a direct violation of Agency and Directorate policy. No matter how valuable the source, I think that the people who write and run a modern intelligence agency recognize the tremendous downside risks of obtaining intelligence that way.

With that said, for as long as there have been spies, spies have been using sex. So called "honey-trap" operations were a notable feature of many Cold War showdowns. But in most cases I would imagine both the CIA and Britain's SIS would use either hired prostitutes or recruited sources to do the actually sexing.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This is purely speculation, but I'd be pretty certain that that sexual seduction techniques are not on the training curriculum for recruits to the CIA's Directorate of Operations.

(BTW, Homeland seems to blur the distinction between Intelligence and Operations. Intelligence is analysts looking at data and reports. Operations is going out and recruiting sources. Quick: Tell me which one Carrie works for? That is, I think, a holdover from the show's Israeli roots.)

I'd probably go so far as to say that becoming sexually involved with a source was a direct violation of Agency and Directorate policy. No matter how valuable the source, I think that the people who write and run a modern intelligence agency recognize the tremendous downside risks of obtaining intelligence that way.

With that said, for as long as there have been spies, spies have been using sex. So called "honey-trap" operations were a notable feature of many Cold War showdowns. But in most cases I would imagine both the CIA and Britain's SIS would use either hired prostitutes or recruited sources to do the actually sexing.

Interesting! You can see how watching a show like The Americans leads you to believe that it was/is SOP for the Russians.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.