Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
As tired as we get of rationed, incremental and somewhat predictable change I've still got to say bring it on.

You need to look at this in five years increments. Compared to iPhone circa 2007, where will next generation iPhone will be?

----------

Normally I'd be really excited to hear this. But then I realize that the only games I play on my iPhone are the ones that require you to wait 45 minutes to get more energy.

Funny, but true.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
"Samsung is now said to have dropped out due to low yields"

Do you really believe that Apple designed another chip for Samsung to manufacture? Ordered test wafers and then Samsung said: Nope. We cant do. To low yield.

Why would Samsung care about yield? Customers pays per wafers not per working chip.

I still just dont get how reporters believe you can take a chip design from one foundry and just start to manufacture on another foundry. Nope. You have to do a new design and tapeout. Its up to the customer to follow the specs of the foundry. Its the customer that is responsible for yield. TSMC/Samsung dont have magic wafer bakers that make some chip work and other dont work.

Just look at Intel. They have almost 100% yield rate on their chips. Thats why there is no binning today. Before you got something extra when you payed more for a chip: a chip that was binned for that speed. Today all chips can reach top official speed.

An educated guess is that Samsung will produce some A series chips. Maybe just A7 but I hope for A8 and A8X. It does not make any sense to design 2 different A8 just to have Samsung do a trial run.

A8x=Samsung
A8=TSMC + Low voltage A7/20nm

intel has always had manufacturing issues with new processes and new designs. they have always limited manufacturing new CPU's to one foundry, worked out the bugs and then set up the process on their other foundries

and between qualcomm and apple, TSMC will probably do whatever it takes to make them happy

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
Apple TV games console?

Isn't this exactly the kind of grunt you need to power an Apple TV games console?

Quad Core 64bit Arm chip.... ++ extra graphics cores etc...

While it may not be quite up with a PS4 or XBox One, it would be a lot faster than PS3 and Xbox360. It would also be far cheaper.

£400+ quid for a console is a little steep for lots of people.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Can't wait for the leaks to start pouring in. I do expect this iPhone 6 to be a new re-design with several form factors.

Lets hope this comes true.

Jack Delgado

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
7Y73JQy.png

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Isn't this exactly the kind of grunt you need to power an Apple TV games console?

Quad Core 64bit Arm chip.... ++ extra graphics cores etc...

While it may not be quite up with a PS4 or XBox One, it would be a lot faster than PS3 and Xbox360. It would also be far cheaper.

£400+ quid for a console is a little steep for lots of people.

technically the CPU and graphics are faster than the last gen consoles. but with not enough RAM and not enough storage its a waste since you can't make games to take advantage of all the power of the CPU/GPU

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
I am not really sure I care about a new iPhone (or any other iOS device for that matter) until or unless there are major fundamental changes to iOS. It's a POS. A good start would be to get arid of I've and most of the senior members of the team. I am going to be forced to give an Android phone a long hard look when I need a new phone.

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
Apple TV Console.

technically the CPU and graphics are faster than the last gen consoles. but with not enough RAM and not enough storage its a waste since you can't make games to take advantage of all the power of the CPU/GPU

Who said it wouldn't have more ram and storage?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Ya because we need 64-bit said nobody.

Obviously not a developer or anyone who cares about apps. It took years after AMD did the first 64-bit consumer PC desktop chip back in 2003 before most major software vendors were building and tuning their desktop apps for this new architecture.

Mobile developers not only need to start testing and optimizing their mobile apps on 64-bit architectures and operating systems now, for their apps to be future-proof and both the fastest and sip power, but could have used this capability last year. (Oh! They did, thanks to Apple!)

Or you can wait 5 to 10 years for your apps to catch up, as happened to some major desktop software.

LFMNX

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Scotty, we need more power

I know it's required and yet it is still difficult to imagine how more processing power is needed. Seems like areas of improvement for battery life take a back seat to strides in processing power.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I am not really sure I care about a new iPhone (or any other iOS device for that matter) until or unless there are major fundamental changes to iOS. It's a POS. A good start would be to get arid of I've and most of the senior members of the team. I am going to be forced to give an Android phone a long hard look when I need a new phone.

That is a strong position to take with regard to IOS. I have used Android and found it much more quirky and less reliable than IOS.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I agree (and I'm a techie). The issue I have with the iPhone (I have the 4S) is that from a customer point of view, there's not a lot of apps that require a new/newly architected CPU every 12 months. Not to mention that iOS/iPhone is still missing a lot of basic functionality that has nothing to do with CPU speed. Granted there *may* be something coming in the next iPhone 6 that might require a better CPU/performance than what the 5S has now, but that's a lot of architecture for 1 item.

Some of the basics that I was talking about that are missing after almost a decade of iPhone are:

-better/more parental/security areas...such as allowing me to view my pictures but disable the Trash button...or include some kind of black list for dirty websites (since Apple already bans all sorts of stuff in the App store)...or offer the ability to force the email system to ask me for the password every ______ hours/days/weeks/power cycles/whatever.

-better history/caching control of Safari...it's really weak that it can't remember what website I was at 10 days ago

-better/longer record of phone calls...I believe the max is 50 received calls and 50 dialed calls. Seriously? 16-64GB of storage and this is the best Apple can do?

-better Airplay integration...such as DIRECTLY to the other Airplay device and NOT over a network/router

-the ability to EASILY get my 1080 videos off the iPhone AND at 1080...ludicrous that I record at 1080 but when I push to Youtube it's 720 or worse...and that I must jump through all kinds of hoops to get the video off my iPhone and onto computer...it should be a simple feature in iTunes.

-the ability to send longer/better quality videos by email....Hotmail, Yahoo, Google, and others provide a 25MB attachment size limit while Apple is still holding onto its 5MB-is-the-largest-we-can-possibly-send-because-it's-1993 motto.

-the ability to store, locally, in some kind of folder my email attachments....PDFs, music, etc.

-I love the All Inboxes but why isn't there an All Sent box so I can easily see all the emails I've sent from my various email accounts?

-An editing feature of photos...so that if the iPhone accidentally mixes up the orientation of a photo (which it ALWAYS does when you take a photo looking straight down at the floor), you can just flip the orientation.

There are a lot of other small things that would make the iPhone/iOS so more awesome...most of these items would be quite trivial to add.

I won't speak to all your points, but Photos has had an editing function for awhile that allows for easy switching of orientation, cropping, etc.

And I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe I read in the past that once the iOS device makes the initial connection to the Apple TV over the network, an ad hoc setup takes place for direct transfer. Perhaps it's not with all devices, and I very well could be wrong, but I've heard something along those lines in more technical discussions of AirPlay/Apple TV.

I definitely think more security/parental controls would be a nice feature, especially for the iPad.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Quad CPU, Quad GPU, 64bit A8 just in time for a summer release of AppleTV/Game-Console-Lite!

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
I know it's required and yet it is still difficult to imagine how more processing power is needed. Seems like areas of improvement for battery life take a back seat to strides in processing power.

More processing power for your new Apple TV Pro to drive your Utra HD graphics, games and video....

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I doubt quad core. They made the A7 very wide in terms of execution paths to ostensibly avoid quad core.

Obviously it makes sense to delay quad cores as long as possible (since most apps won't take advantage of the additional cores but can use better single-thread performance). But eventually the the transistor ROI will be so low that they have to go to 4 cores. And the next generation will have a bunch of additional transistors to spend. Should they make the A8 even wider?

Four cores will happen (eventually). That they could avoid it so far is no argument that they will this time.

if production is underway does this mean that the rumored June release is correct? or would they start production extra early for a September/October release?

These could be early trial runs, not mass production. Intel has been manufacturing Broadwells for some time, for example. It might take a long time to get the error rates down enough.

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada

I doubt the A8 can or would be more powerful than the PS3.
I mean we are talking dedicated gaming consoles with massive video cards and if im not mistaken 8 core cpu in case of the ps3 with higher clock speeds...

A8 cannot compete with that yet.

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I agree (and I'm a techie). The issue I have with the iPhone (I have the 4S) is that from a customer point of view, there's not a lot of apps that require a new/newly architected CPU every 12 months. Not to mention that iOS/iPhone is still missing a lot of basic functionality that has nothing to do with CPU speed. Granted there *may* be something coming in the next iPhone 6 that might require a better CPU/performance than what the 5S has now, but that's a lot of architecture for 1 item.

Some of the basics that I was talking about that are missing after almost a decade of iPhone are:

-better/more parental/security areas...such as allowing me to view my pictures but disable the Trash button...or include some kind of black list for dirty websites (since Apple already bans all sorts of stuff in the App store)...or offer the ability to force the email system to ask me for the password every ______ hours/days/weeks/power cycles/whatever.

Are you speaking of having multiple users using the same phone, but with different permissions? And what reasoning is there to disable the Trash button for photos? Are you checking up on someone? If so, maybe that person isn't either responsible or mature enough for an iPhone.

And I completely disagree with anything constantly asking for my password. Seems counterproductive from a usability standpoint

-better history/caching control of Safari...it's really weak that it can't remember what website I was at 10 days ago

I'm not sure which version you are using, but on my iPhone 5 with IOS 7, my Safari goes back 2 months.

-better/longer record of phone calls...I believe the max is 50 received calls and 50 dialed calls. Seriously? 16-64GB of storage and this is the best Apple can do?

Again, what version are you on? I have over 100 of each on mine going back over 2 months.

-better Airplay integration...such as DIRECTLY to the other Airplay device and NOT over a network/router

That would be a good addition

-the ability to EASILY get my 1080 videos off the iPhone AND at 1080...ludicrous that I record at 1080 but when I push to Youtube it's 720 or worse...and that I must jump through all kinds of hoops to get the video off my iPhone and onto computer...it should be a simple feature in iTunes.

Why not just copy them from Explorer? Once you connect your iPhone to your computer, you can open it just like any other folder, and copy the files to wherever you wish

-the ability to send longer/better quality videos by email....Hotmail, Yahoo, Google, and others provide a 25MB attachment size limit while Apple is still holding onto its 5MB-is-the-largest-we-can-possibly-send-because-it's-1993 motto.

I guess you have an unlimited data plan. Mine counts both uploading or downloading against me, so I would not even think of sending something that large. Plus it would take forever. However, to each their own.

-the ability to store, locally, in some kind of folder my email attachments....PDFs, music, etc.

While I understand that some people seem to want control over this (it's a Windows mind-set), Apple takes care of it for you. I think if they could make it bulletproof for the average user, they would probably add that capability. Maybe in a future IOS release?

-I love the All Inboxes but why isn't there an All Sent box so I can easily see all the emails I've sent from my various email accounts?

Already answered

-An editing feature of photos...so that if the iPhone accidentally mixes up the orientation of a photo (which it ALWAYS does when you take a photo looking straight down at the floor), you can just flip the orientation.

Can't talk to this one, as I don't edit my photos on my phone. I edit them on my laptop!

There are a lot of other small things that would make the iPhone/iOS so more awesome...most of these items would be quite trivial to add.

See answers in-line. I agree that they could add more, and I'm sure they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.