Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gmail.png
Google today updated its Gmail for iOS app to version 3.0, adding both simplified sign-ins and background app refresh. With the new update, Gmail will use iOS 7's background refresh capabilities to fetch mail even when the app is not open.

Before the update, users could receive notifications when new mail was received, but opening the app was required to download the messages.

The app also supports a simplified sign-in that allows users to sign into all Google apps when signing into a single app such as Maps, Drive, Chrome, or Gmail.
Background app refresh: Gmail now fetches your mail even when it is not open so it will be waiting for you when you open the app. Requires iOS 7 and at least one type of notification (badge, alert, or banner) to be turned on.

Simplified sign-in: Signing into Google Apps such as Gmail, Maps, Drive and Chrome just got easier. Sign in to one, and you'll be signed in to all automatically.

Note: In some cases, you may need to sign-in to Gmail again after this update.
Gmail can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gmail for iOS Updated With Background Refresh

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
I've got to say, the Google apps are all fantastic, but I want my work account signed in to some, and my personal account signed in to others.

When it tries to throw both my accounts on all Google apps, I want to just delete every single one.

Other than that, this is a welcome update.

Lefty21

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
Lexington, KY
Nice. This may be the change that convinces me to use the GMail app instead of the stock Mail app from now on (I primarily use my GMail for everything anyway). Downloading now.

bookofzero

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
Wasn't it recently discovered that apps can abuse background refresh to continue to mine your personal information? Am I the only one unsurprised that Google released this on the heels of this discovery?

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Really, updating this app mean nothing until a unified inbox is included.

I agree. My iPhone mail unifies incoming mail from one personal and two different business accounts. Only one of them is GMail. I'm not using two different apps to check email.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
The gmail app has always impressed me by giving me notifications the same moment new mails arrives to my inbox. How has it done this without app refresh?
And asking in another way, how is this update any better for me since I always get instant notifications?

jpfpreston

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
London
When will they drop the bottom shadow from their iOS App icon?

Their iOS app icons stand out like a sore thumb amongst nicely designed iOS 7 icons. YouTube, Google Maps, Chrome are all quite tacky with an iOS 6 style shadow applied.

Fix it. Have a better eye for design.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The gmail app has always impressed me by giving me notifications the same moment new mails arrives to my inbox. How has it done this without app refresh?

Through Apple's push notifications server.

And asking in another way, how is this update any better for me since I always get instant notifications?

Read the quote in the original post.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
The question is, will instant notifications continue to work even with Background Refresh off? I have BR off due to battery consumption.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The question is, will instant notifications continue to work even with Background Refresh off? I have BR off due to battery consumption.

Push notifications work without Background Refresh as they always have. (From the description, it sounds like the notifications actually trigger the background refresh.)

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
If so, what's the point of Background Refresh if you're getting instant notifications, anyway?

Push notifications work without Background Refresh as they always have. (From the description, it sounds like the notifications actually trigger the background refresh.)

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
Every since I started using Mailbox, I just want to swipe messages left or right to act on them —*and it feels incredibly clumsy and slow to go back to ticking boxes and hitting buttons.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
But it already does that. Gmail shows me a notification for a new message, I open Gmail, and it takes me straight to the message. I just don't see the difference?

You must have a perfect connection at all times then. Before now, Gmail couldn't load the message until after you opened the app from the notification. Now it is using iOS 7's background refresh so that your inbox messages are downloaded in the background.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Their iOS app icons stand out like a sore thumb amongst nicely designed iOS 7 icons. YouTube, Google Maps, Chrome are all quite tacky with an iOS 6 style shadow applied.

Fix it. Have a better eye for design.

Have you see. Ios7 ?!

And you're criticizing design ?

pittpanthersfan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2009
Wasn't it recently discovered that apps can abuse background refresh to continue to mine your personal information? Am I the only one unsurprised that Google released this on the heels of this discovery?

Could you elaborate or link to more information?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, clearly the two are completely related.

----------

I don't see any update for my gmail app.
Feel free not to install it.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
Oh god……, I hope my signing-in process is [better] than the last update, has been so annoying, taking forever………….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.