Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T.Doyobi

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2013
Great choice.

I love the Buena Vista Social Club, and have most of their CDs. Actually, over a decade ago, I had the exquisite pleasure of hearing them play, live - one of those evenings of pure, sublime magic, the sort of evening which makes you give thanks for the sheer privilege of having lived to experience such pleasure.

Thanks man, I only have the album from the Wim Wenders film but I'll look into getting more. Just listened to it actually and it made the last hour or so pass sublimely. Seeing them live must have been awesome. Gotta love these old Cuban dudes!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks man, I only have the album from the Wim Wenders film but I'll look into getting more. Just listened to it actually and it made the last hour or so pass sublimely. Seeing them live must have been awesome. Gotta love these old Cuban dudes!

The original 'Buena Vista Social Club' album is brilliant ('Chan Chan' is on it); following its success (Ry Cooder helped produce the original album), the individual members released individual albums showcasing their talents. From what I understand Wim Wenders made his film after the original album had been released in order to record the whole fantastic story for posterity.

When I saw them some of these guys (and women) were nearly ninety, and their verve, class, music and effervescent love of life were astounding and wonderfully uplifting. A treasured memory, and terrific music. Thanks for posting it, and reminding me to listen to some.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The original 'Buena Vista Social Club' album is brilliant ('Chan Chan' is on it); following its success (Ry Cooder helped produce the original album), the individual members released individual albums showcasing their talents. From what I understand Wim Wenders made his film after the original album had been released in order to record the whole fantastic story for posterity.

When I saw them some of these guys (and women) were nearly ninety, and their verve, class, music and effervescent love of life were astounding and wonderfully uplifting. A treasured memory, and terrific music. Thanks for posting it, and reminding me to listen to some.

I'll have to look up these individual albums, but for now the original Buena Vista Social Club is going to the top of my queue. Love this one...

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
I really like this Dylan album. Its a departure from his previous political-heavy albums and some songs are actually kind of funny.

another-side-of-bob-dylan.jpg

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
new favorite. my kids agree.

Trombone Shorty

have the first two albums on shuffle in the house and the minivan and don't plan to quit playing anytime soon. awesome!

The original 'Buena Vista Social Club' album is brilliant...

totally agree. i've been a huge Ry Cooder fan as long as i can remember (Crossroads was epic) and bought this when released.

i got to see Rubén González, and Ibrahim Ferrer in concert in Escondido, CA after the release of the original album, they did a short US tour, and it is in the top 10 best live shows i've ever seen. truly amazing.

i can also recommend "A Toda Cuba Le Gusta" and "Buenos Hermanos". if you like the 'club', you will also like these. es muy bien!

Last edited by a moderator:

T.Doyobi

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2013
Was listening to this on the bus earlier, 'Cinematic Orchestra, To Build a Home'

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
……….

totally agree. i've been a huge Ry Cooder fan as long as i can remember (Crossroads was epic) and bought this when released.

i got to see Rubén González, and Ibrahim Ferrer in concert in Escondido, CA after the release of the original album, they did a short US tour, and it is in the top 10 best live shows i've ever seen. truly amazing.

i can also recommend "A Toda Cuba Le Gusta" and "Buenos Hermanos". if you like the 'club', you will also like these. es muy bien!

Thanks very much for the recommendations. I'll certainly look out for both of these albums, and try to order them as I really love the music of the Buena Vista club.

Sunshine represented as music - and effervescent optimism from my computer, class, verve, and sheer sublime style...…..bliss.

Wonderful that you managed to see Ibrahim Ferrer and Rubén González play live in concert; the night I heard them play live is a treasured memory for me, too.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Gotta love Flo.

This one has to be one of my favourites, it's a bit of a slow burner but towards the end...majestic. The sound quality of this YouTube video doesn't do it justice :/

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Yes, R.E.M are an excellent group; I have a few of their albums on my iPod.

Adagio for Strings Op. 11 by Sergei Rachmaninoff, performed by Franz Richter & Radio Orchestra Berlin.

Ah, just exquisite. I love Sergei Rachmaninoff; some of his stuff is almost painfully beautiful.

For myself, I have just been listening to the powerful symphonic cycle, Ma Vlast, by the Czech composer, Bedrich Smetana.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.