Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
If the in app purchase changes have to wait for 7.1 and its App Store app, what does this mean for iOS 5, 6 and 7.06 devices? Will they no longer be able to use the App Store?

exactly, not everybody can upgrade to iOS 7.1 to have the changes to the app store if this is the case. they would have to push out an update for older devices. i call BS on this delaying the release of iOS 7.1.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
you've never had a 2 year old, have you?
there are silly games for little kids and there is no way you can explain to them not to click outside :) So, you let them play so you can either cook them a meal or do any necessity you have to do so its simply impossible to supervise your child all the time. (and by supervising I mean staring over their should and watching them play the game and making sure they don't click outside of their territory)

You never had an IOS device running IOS 7, have you ?

You can currently disable in app purchases so it should not be an issue with a 2 year old.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
How credible is the guy who said "any day now". It'd be funny if he changed everyone's expectation to next week while it releases end of March. I'm so impatient now because of those words - damn you guy with "apparent sources"!

yzjustdatguy

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Atlanta
Sounds like a tough situation to be in for Apple. Three options:

1. Make the iTunes festival app compatible with 7.0, release 7.1 with the new IAP change
2. Release 7.1 as scheduled, release IAP changes in 7.1.1
3. Work 25 hours a day to get this in-app stuff implemented before the festival, release 7.1 with IAP changes

I like option number 2. Seems reasonable

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
People use cell phones as a babysitting device, maybe that's the problem.

Exactly, what happened to cuddly toys and actually playing with your infant child rather than sitting them in front of a digital baby sitter unsupervised for hours on end. iPhones and iPads are not suitable for children this age. Maybe they should have suitable for 8+ on the box for people who seem to have no clue.:rolleyes:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I have had a 2yr old but my 2yr old never had an iPhone. Or any device with credit card info available with the push of a button. :eek: Maybe a device MADE for a 2 yr old would be more appropriate? Just sayin.

I have a 7 year old daughter, she regularly plays with my iPhone and iPad, the iPad much more than me. Almost every app/game on the iPad is hers and there's roughly 30+ games on there for her.

I made sure NOTHING could be purchased without a password, in app or not.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
OK, so it sounds like all Apple need to do is to turn this on by default?

They could of course, same as they could with the Firewall on OSX but seriously, people should take some of the responsibiltiy and read at least some of the manual. I make a point of having a flick through as a minimum.

To me I find this as annoying as those people that buy a brand new car and a few months later don't know here the spare wheel or towing/jacking points are.
RTFM people!!!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So many pretend parents have so much "useful" advice for actual parents (and those who are actual parents with such advice should really know better about judging the parenting of others, and if they don't, then they really haven't fully learned what it is to be a parent just yet). This thread is going places.

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
you've never had a 2 year old, have you?
there are silly games for little kids and there is no way you can explain to them not to click outside :) So, you let them play so you can either cook them a meal or do any necessity you have to do so its simply impossible to supervise your child all the time. (and by supervising I mean staring over their should and watching them play the game and making sure they don't click outside of their territory)

This is exactly what the Guided Access functionality is for, which is on any iOS 6 or 7 device. It prevents the user from leaving the app without entering a password.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
I know enough to know a 2 year old shouldn't be allowed to hold, and especially not left unattended, with a device made of glass and thin metal. Sounds like a family and children services, shattered glass and lacerations, neglect case waiting to happen.

What happened to hotwheels, GIjoe, TV, Nintendo, etc.

Here they are: :)
HotWheels
GIjoe
TV
Nintendo

For those that don't want to click the links, they are iPad apps of all of his examples. ;)

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
So many pretend parents have so much "useful" advice for actual parents (and those who are actual parents with such advice should really know better about judging the parenting of others, and if they don't, then they really haven't fully learned what it is to be a parent just yet). This thread is going places.

Nothing to do with children. Just read some of the manual, doesn't have to be all of it.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Couldn't this just be a parental setting in preferences, that way you could enable or disable password protected in-app purchases at will.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Nothing to do with children. Just read some of the manual, doesn't have to be all of it.

But it just works? ;)

Kidding aside. I don't own the latest generation of iPhone. But does the box come with anything that indicates where they can get an instruction manual and/or that they should get the instruction manual? Does the initial setup take you or ask you if you want to get the manual?

Serious questions. I agree that people should read the manual - but perhaps Apple could make it even "easier" to attain then just hosting it and having people go look for it.

I also agree that perhaps, just perhaps, these "controversial" settings should be set to a default which is tighter on security so that you have to opt IN for in-app purchases vs opting out.

My .02

fardeenah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
god i just hate typing my password for free apps, its so annoying. i hope they atleast give us an option to disable password for free apps download.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
they could have easily added this between beta 5 and public release? its been over a month since the last beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.