Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its iTunes Festival app to version 5.0, ahead of next week's SXSW iTunes Festival, which kicks off on Tuesday, March 11. As noted by MacStories, the iTunes Festival app shows up in the iTunes Store with a revamped icon and is listed as having a "refreshed design" and support for SXSW, but the app isn't available for download in the U.S. just yet.

itunesfestivalapp.jpg
Clicking on the download link results in an error message that asks users to try again later, but it will presumably be downloadable shortly. Users in other countries have been able to download the app with iOS 7.0.6, suggesting SXSW streaming does not require iOS 7.1 as was reported earlier this week.

Apple's SXSW iTunes Festival is the first it has hosted in the United States, with previous iTunes Festivals occurring annually in London. The festival will offer five free nights of music, beginning on March 11 at Austin City Limits Live at the Moody Theater in Austin, Texas. Featured artists include Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, Kendrick Lamar, Soundgarden, Pitbull, Keith Urban, and more.

All of Apple's iTunes Festival concerts are presented for free, with tickets available via a lottery system. Live and on-demand streams of the shows will be available through the revamped iTunes Festival app and the Apple TV.

Update 2:07 PM PST: The iTunes Festival app can now be downloaded from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Releases Revamped iTunes Festival App Ahead of SXSW, iOS 7.1 Not Required

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
So all bets are on a March 31 release. Yep.....

Not sure why they cant just release 7.1 and fix the stupid App store mandate issue in a 7.1.1 update before end of March. Maybe they'll release 7.0.7 with the app store mandate thingy fixed just to mess with everyone. HAHAHAHAHA.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I think before this In-App-Purchase think, iOS 7.1 was necessary for the festival app.. Now they changed it and this will mean iOS 7.1 at the end of march :(

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
7.1 will be released when it's ready... If they rushed it you'd complain and taking too long means more complaining...

I've worked on 7.1 Beta 1-5, let me tell you - You don't want it until it's ready...

iOS 7.1 beta 5 is way better than 7.0.6 in lots of way. Yes, iOS 7.1 probably won't magically solve every problem of we encountered so far, but it is night and day difference.

Just downgrade from beta 5 to 7.0.6 for the SSL fix, what an ugly mess iOS 7.0.6 is.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
7.1 will be released when it's ready... If they rushed it you'd complain and taking too long means more complaining...

I've worked on 7.1 Beta 1-5, let me tell you - You don't want it until it's ready...

This may be true in general but let's not forget the league..

7.1 will deliver so hard you won't want an iPhone 6/6s/7/etc

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
There go any hopes of getting 7.1 anytime soon....

I consider myself very loyal to Apple and their products. That being said, I truly can't understand why they are dragging their feet with this update. My iPhone 5s and iPad Air restart at least 2-3 times a day, the music on my phone constantly erases itself, and of course there are the other many known bugs in the current software.

This is driving me nuts! I paid a premium to get a 64GB iPhone to store my music on. I am being forced to stream my music from the cloud because of a glitch that should have been corrected MONTHS ago. I have done a clean restore of my phone and that temporarily fixes the issue but it ALWAYS returns.

I am clearly venting and apologize to everyone lol. This is just making me incredibly annoyed!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
iOS 7.1 beta 5 is way better than 7.0.6 in lots of way. Yes, iOS 7.1 probably won't magically solve every problem of we encountered so far, but it is night and day difference.

Just downgrade from beta 5 to 7.0.6 for the SSL fix, what an ugly mess iOS 7.0.6 is.

Counter-intuitively, 7.0.x feels a lot more like a beta than 7.1 beta ever since beta 2.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Counter-intuitively, 7.0.x feels a lot more like a beta than 7.1 beta ever since beta 2.

I tend to find betas much more stable than their previous stable release for most software.

It's those alphas that you gotta worry about.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008

Ugh. Stop being so awkwardly condescending.

Of course he wants it when it's ready. He wants it because rumours were that it'd be ready in the first week of March.

Second, 7.0 has been out for almost 8 months with crappy performance. Taking 8 months is not 'rushing'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.