Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

jawboneup.png
Jawbone today updated its UP app to version 3.1, adding several new features to improve its Jawbone UP fitness band. Multiple enhancements have been made to sleep tracking, with the app including more information on sound sleep and light sleep periods, plus sunrise and sunset visuals.

There's a new sleep recovery menu that can be accessed if a band was not put into sleep mode, a feature originally introduced with version 3.0 of the app. The app also encourages better sleep through new personalized goals, challenging users to go to bed at the same time each night.

Following the update, reminders can also be set using customizable alerts, allowing users to set alarms for various purposes such as working out and taking medications.
- Reminders: Set customizable alerts with band vibrations to remind you to workout, go to bed, take medication and more.
- Forgot to put your band in sleep mode? Now access sleep recovery from the home screen.
- Added sunrise and sunset visuals into sleep graphs
- Introducing new Today I Will insights
- Bug fixes and sync performance improvements
Jawbone has also introduced an entirely new app, called UP Coffee, which is designed to allow Jawbone UP users to understand how caffeine affects sleep. The app lets users enter how many cups of coffee or other caffeinated foods/beverages they have consumed during the day and then calculates how long it will take to become "Sleep Ready."

upcoffee.jpg
Up Coffee interfaces with the existing UP app, so users will see beverage consumption statistics entered into UP Coffee displayed within their UP apps.
Unlock a series of data-based reports on how your body reacts to caffeine. Check in with UP Coffee when you drink, and even when you don't, for just 7 days to reveal your Caffeine Persona. Keep tracking for 3 more days to reveal the relationships between how much and when you drink with your bedtime, sleep duration and nighttime awakenings. Knowledge is power, so get buzzed.
UP by Jawbone app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

The UP Coffee app can also be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Jawbone Updates 'UP' App With Sleep Tracking Improvements, Debuts Coffee Monitoring App

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Sort of peeved that they're working on something as trivial as a coffee monitoring app seeing as the current 'UP' app looks like such a hot mess. Literally it looks like someone tried to combine iOS 6 and iOS 7 with a color scheme that looked decent in 2004.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Knowledge is power, so get buzzed.

I like that. :D

I just had a play with it, (it works without signing in or the hardware) it's interesting. It asks you whether you're sensitive to caffeine or not to begin with, so I wonder how that changes the calculation...

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
My UP band broke and I put it away in a drawer and a while later after it was out of warranty I called up Jawbone to see if they would replace it, figured it was worth a try. I received a new one but then I ended up never wearing it, I was hoping they would update the software with some more or more accurate functionality. Maybe I'll take it back out of the drawer and give it another try.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I was really hoping they made an update to have sleep data reset the day instead of based off clock.

Most of these trackers expect normal people to be asleep by 12AM. If you are tracking calories and steps this makes it difficult to track the begging/end of a day.

I hope the iWatch (if it has any fitness related features) does this.:D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
UP Coffee sounds interesting. I've noticed that caffeine has a huge impact on my ability to sleep - I'd be interested in quantifying that so that I know the actual time after which I should stop drinking caffeine, or how much I should limit myself to, or what not.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Sleep when your tired, eat when your hungry. Not when some app tells you to.

Fools will laugh but the wise will smile.

Really there should be a news article - humans loose the ability to know when they are tired or hungry.

xVeinx

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2006
California

Really there should be a news article - humans loose the ability to know when they are tired or hungry.

No one is using this app to determine when they should sleep or eat. It's measuring the impact of caffeine on one's ability to sleep. In essence, it helps one gauge when you reach the point of 'too much' caffeine. The main app is very helpful as a tool to record what you eat, your calorie intake, and an approximation of how well you sleep. Long term data like this can help you pinpoint things that disturb your sleep or have an effect on your health.

Sarcastic comments that miss the point of the article just make you look silly.

chrimux

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012

Many people have sleeping problems nowadays. Such devices help you find out why you are so tired in the morning though you went to bed early (you thought you slept 8 hours, but in fact you were only 4 hours asleep).

The app does not tell you when you should sleep. It tells you afterwards how much you slept. And how well.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Many people have sleeping problems nowadays. Such devices help you find out why you are so tired in the morning though you went to bed early (you thought you slept 8 hours, but in fact you were only 4 hours asleep).

The app does not tell you when you should sleep. It tells you afterwards how much you slept. And how well.

----------

No one is using this app to determine when they should sleep or eat. It's measuring the impact of caffeine on one's ability to sleep. In essence, it helps one gauge when you reach the point of 'too much' caffeine. The main app is very helpful as a tool to record what you eat, your calorie intake, and an approximation of how well you sleep. Long term data like this can help you pinpoint things that disturb your sleep or have an effect on your health.

Sarcastic comments that miss the point of the article just make you look silly.

I wasn't being sarcastic. As I said

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I eat, sleep, sh!!t, and pee. No app needs to track that for me. I know it needs to be done and I do it.

That's cause your using the best computer known to man. The human brain :) and not some crappy digit counter.

They say we only use 10% of our brain. I think some users are lucky to push .2% ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.