Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While earlier iWatch concepts were inspired by the wearable's health-tracking features, a new set of renderings from Argentine design student Tomas Moyano imagines the iWatch as a device that'll produce "a further and deeper interaction between human beings and technology."

iwatch-concept-moyano-grid.jpg
Moyano pictures a perfectly round device, with grooves in the side that'll allow for multiple looks with different bands. Similar to the Shine from Misfit Wearables, the concept design features no buttons to catch on your sleeve and no holes to allow in water or dust. Submersible and resistant to dust, the watch lacks speakers and will rely on vibration notifications to alert you to an incoming message.
Wait a moment, no speakers? Think about it. A watch is almost always on your hand, pretty far from your ears. Imagine yourself walking on a noisy city: If you want to hear a notification sound from your smartwatch, it should be a loud sound, and to produce it, it would need a lot of energy and big components. Both things not easy to include on a such small device.

Besides that the iWatch will be constantly in contact with your skin and body, an important fact to consider. That's why I decided you shouldn't hear, but feel the notifications. That is right: Vibration notifications. Perfectly submersible and dust resistant vibration notifications.
Battery life will be a challenge in such a small device, so Moyano visualizes the iWatch with micro-solar panels and wireless recharging. To conserve this precious power, the concept iWatch will sacrifice the cellular connection and associated services that require an internet connection. Moyano's concept envisions Maps working on the iWatch, but it is not clear how the maps would be usable on such a small-screened device.

iwatch-concept-moyano-wrist.jpg
Another circulating iWatch concept created by Hungarian freelance designer Gábor Balogh and published by The Verge is inspired by traditional wristwatch design. The concept uses an actual product image of the Havana timepiece from Swedish watchmaker Triwa. Balogh replaces the face of the watch with rumored iWatch features such as messages and heart rate tracking.

Balogh-iwatch.jpg
Though the iWatch may not have many of the features mentioned above, it is rumored to include biometric functions like a heart rate monitor that'll tie into Apple's iOS 8 ecosystem via a new Healthbook app. It may also ship with a version of Siri tailored for the wrist-worn device.

Article Link: New Concepts Imagine the iWatch as a Lifestyle Device, Traditional Timepiece

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Stupid idea.

Just taking something that already exists without changing the core design but trying to fit in new technology to magically work together is wrong.
That’s the reason why taking Symbian phones in 2006 and slaping a touch screen on it, without adjusting the core system in a major way, didn’t work.

Especially the buttons on the side look pathetic. It’s just like the fake-leather calendar design of the former Mac App, with the bookmark symbol acting as a button that has completely different functionality than what it suggests.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Yes please. A watch has to be waterproof, and the idea of vibrating notifications is much better than sound.

Like the design too, I don't want a watch that's as big as my phone on my wrist! The buttons need work - I would prefer a buttonless design that was just gesture controlled.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I find this interesting and quite a step AWAY from the current trend. This entire surface screen and ability to change the whole layout looks neat.

Though I see this as something that could easily get lost.

Do these use a chargeable battery or is it the type that would be powered by motion/movement?

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Please :apple: the sooner the better. I had to give up my Fitbit Force so now I'm without a tracker.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
I think the design of the one with the brown leather strap is a superior design than anything we've seen thus far.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Hopefully the iWatch will have a timeless design. Unfortunately, technology becomes outdated quickly, so what are the odds I could pass my iWatch on to one of my kids in 30 years?

I like my watches old-school, powered by springs and gears. But I'd definitely wear an iWatch if they do it right. Or at all.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I think the design of the one with the brown leather strap is a superior design than anything we've seen thus far.

that's because the brown leather strap one is based on an actual watch.

arn

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
This is the first concept that caught my eye. Vibration notification might be a good idea. A watch that is smaller than the palm of my hand is also good. We can only wait and see what Apple comes up with.

PlainviewX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
that's because the brown leather strap one is based on an actual watch.

arn

It's not only the classic look, but how well the LCD works with that design. I really like it and hope Apple is thinking of going the traditional route. Originally I felt i needed to be future looking, but, after seeing Samsung's offerings and the past concepts of the iWatch, I find myself wanting more of a traditional look. I had no real intention of getting one, unless the features benefited me, but I would consider it if it was more traditional.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Oh wow. From the random things posted to this site, I'm guessing I could just submit my child's drawings and get them to be front-page material.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I could see myself buying something like that:

Balogh-iwatch.jpg

Just need to make sure the battery life is sufficient.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
All these concepts need a solar element as a battery extender.

My casio pathfinder can go 6 months with no sun after a full solar charge. A smart watch would have a hard time with that, but there is no reason we can't get more than a few days or even weeks on a single charge.

tomasdi

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014
How would you be able to take a photo with the camera under the watch?

There are two tiny black dots on the front screen. An optical tiny home button and the front camera. What is under the watch is the pulsometer and temperature sensor, sometching like de GS5. Please visit the behance link to see the project´s details

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.