Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
All these concepts need a solar element as a battery extender.

My casio pathfinder can go 6 months with no sun after a full solar charge. A smart watch would have a hard time with that, but there is no reason we can't get more than a few days or even weeks on a single charge.

A few ideas floating around my head (besides solar power etc) are:

1.) Motion-activated watch (like those perpetual-motion Rolexes) for increased battery life.

2.) Some kind of hyper-awesome inductive charging. We have our hands down by our sides a lot, so the iPhone could charge the watch this way if the phone is in our front/back pocket.

I feel like there's something going on that Apple is working on - something special. I'm excited to see what it is.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Stupid idea.

Just taking something that already exists without changing the core design but trying to fit in new technology to magically work together is wrong.
That’s the reason why taking Symbian phones in 2006 and slaping a touch screen on it, without adjusting the core system in a major way, didn’t work.

Especially the buttons on the side look pathetic. It’s just like the fake-leather calendar design of the former Mac App, with the bookmark symbol acting as a button that has completely different functionality than what it suggests.

You miss the point that this first and foremost HAS to pass muster as a fashion item. Sorry geeks, but if this has every great feature on everyone's dream list, but looks like ass, it will fail. On the other hand, if it only does 2 or 3 things really well AND looks amazing, (but is capable of growing in functionality) it could be a hit.
The iPhone was really short of features when it launched, but did what it did well and looked cool.

But I REALLY hope they go with round. I've never seen a square watch that anyone with any self respect would wear in public.

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
I'm into it. It could leave the market open to customization. If the actual center core watch part were a disk and could be popped out and could be placed in an after market bezel or band, that would be awesome.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Just out of curiousity, if there are no holes for speakers wouldn't there still need to be some sort of opening for a Siri microphone? Given that the iWatch (mockup or official) will likely have a small screen, Siri seems like it will play an integral part interacting with the watch. Also, how would this submergable disk be charged? This mockup seems to be lacking some details...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
C'mon Apple get iOS 7.1 out the door. Anything that will give MacRumors something to report on.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just out of curiousity, if there are no holes for speakers wouldn't there still need to be some sort of opening for a Siri microphone? Given that the iWatch (mockup or official) will likely have a small screen, Siri seems like it will play an integral part interacting with the watch. Also, how would this submergable disk be charged? This mockup seems to be lacking some details...

That's the problem with these slick mockups via software. It's easy to design something good looking when you don't have to think about the actual engineering to bring it to market.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
This is fantastic. This is the first set of designs that actually has me interested. I want a smartwatch, but I don't want something that screams "LOOK AT ME I'M THE NEW SMARTWATCH". Something this thin, lightweight, with acceptable levels of functionality, and as fashionable as this would get me excited.

And to those of you complaining that this is front page news - get over yourselves. This is legitimate rumor material. And if you don't like it, leave.

Oh wow. From the random things posted to this site, I'm guessing I could just submit my child's drawings and get them to be front-page material.

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
Yes, Yes!!
This is what I was looking for.
I had been watching Suunto watch hoping Apple makes some good substitute so that I can have better comparason.

kevinws

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
O'Fallon, MO
I really like the traditional design of the one with the leather strap. Probably because I wear I watch everyday. I wear an inexpensive Orient automatic. The first company that gives me a traditional design, 7 days of battery life and a decent price will get my attention. I don't want it to look like I have a nano strapped to my wrist or something that looks like it should be worn by wonder woman.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Round. Yes.

How about the ability to take a photo with your iPhone of any material that you're wearing (belt, shoes, shirt, pants), and instantly send that to the watch as background... immediate match.
Just a thought.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Those concepts are really, really nice... surprised to see a round display, that would be pretty awesome.

If Apple goes with a circular display perhaps they will use the "Circular touch" technology made by Neonode:

http://www.neonode.com/solutions-2/circular-touch/

"- Ultra slim bezel and thin compact design for low profile products
- Ultra low power consumption – Neonode´s AlwaysON Technology
- Support for all type of display types and surfaces
- Works with Neonode´s solutions for air gestures and “outside of screen touch”
- Real-time vibration feedback and Illumination control for visual and light effects
- Under water operation (submerged)"

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Many people have more than one watch as part of a rotation, with each of them much more valuable than a consumer device from Apple.

I would rather be able to wear watches and wear the Apple device.

mdlux

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Replica Spaceship Campus

Moyano's design is great, simple, classic. A circle. Not unlike the new spaceship campus. So having one is like having a tiny replica of the mothership, itself powered by one of the world's largest new solar arrays, so why not power this with the smallest? (does anybody here know what's possible?)

If this isn't the iWatch, it should be. As simple as a stone on the beach, but distilled into one of our fundamental milestone designs in tech, the wheel. I'd like to see a fob shell for this one, like a turn-of-the-century pocket watch -- I expect some smashing steampunk designs!

As for making maps work, all that's needed is to engage it as a compass. In fact, there have been vibration-only devices that have been used to unconsciously teach people to have a better sense of direction. I think Moyano got it right.

The other one is, well... Ridiculous.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I'm curious how they solve one big issue. When I look at my traditional watch, its just turn my wrist, and 'ta-da', there's the time.
Every other 'smart watch' from the Nano on a band to the Samsung abomination require you to turn it on.
Its silly that that one extra step would seem so important, but everyone I know who's used such devices hate that.
It can't require turning it on every time you want to look at it.

tomasdi

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014

Hi! i am the designer of this concept. Please visit the behance link to see the whole project! there is a lot of details there.
Siri is not included on the iWatch. Here is what i wrote about it in the project Abstract:

"No celular conection, no Siri but still with Maps.
It may be a little disappointing not to include Siri on the iWatch. But is the iWatch really prepared for it? I am not thinking only on the 3G or LTE conection required for Siri, that also should be available all day long (giving a hard time to the battery power). I am also thinking when would we really use Siri on the iWatch? Siri has some troubles understanding us even on the iphones 5 and 5s with ios7, imagine her on the iWatch!
Ok, no cellular conection? How does Maps work? Google Maps App already include a very effective feature: We can save maps for later use without internet conection. On a further step of the ios7 Maps development, they could include this feature on the iPhone, and by synchronizing the app with our iWatch... bum! we can store on the watch so many maps as we want (preferably all those places where we are, or we go often)."

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
A design student's concept is front page news?!

Well we quote just about any sort of people with the title of analyst nowadays because they "predict" stuff, so why not indulge in concepts drawn by inexperienced design students for the devices of tomorrow while we're at it?

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
I'm curious how they solve one big issue. When I look at my traditional watch, its just turn my wrist, and 'ta-da', there's the time.
Every other 'smart watch' from the Nano on a band to the Samsung abomination require you to turn it on.
Its silly that that one extra step would seem so important, but everyone I know who's used such devices hate that.
It can't require turning it on every time you want to look at it.

How about always on sensors that detects the flip of the wrist and turns it on instantly? Could be powered by really low voltage dedicated coprocessor.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I've heard from my sources deep inside Apple that the iWatch is actually inspired by the movie Pulp Fiction, and is designed to monitor colon health.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.