Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The SlatePro TechDesk is a new Kickstarter project featuring a desk that has been designed with built-in docks and cutouts to accommodate several different Apple devices. It comes with multiple display docks that are able to hold an iPad, iPhone, or other mobile device, and air vents in the middle of the desk offer continual cooling for MacBooks.

slateprodesk.jpg
Designed to fit any size computer or laptop, from a MacBook to an iMac, the desk also comes equipped with a heavy duty mousepad, a filing rack, a pen dock, and a recessed cup holder. There are also built-in cutouts for cords to keep everything organized.

The SlatePro's surface is cut from pure, premium bamboo and protected by a sheet of clear acrylic. It's super strong, very light weight, and it will support your computer with ease. The desk's steel legs are completely hand-crafted. They create the perfect height and are made by some of the best metal workers in the USA.
Nathan Mummert, the SlatePro's creator, was also behind the Slate Mobile AirDesk, a successful Kickstarter project that featured a portable lap desk.

Some early pricing tiers of the SlatePro have already sold out, but interested backers are still able to pre-order a desk for $448 on Kickstarter. The first desks are expected to ship in May of 2014, while orders made now will ship in June or July.

Article Link: SlatePro TechDesk Features Built-In Docks for iOS Devices, Air Vents for Macs

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Not my cup of tea.... the vents would annoy me and it seems rather small...

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
Its a nice idea, but there is so much variablily in what people require for the layout of their desk that can a non-bespoke product ever set up the right desk configuration built in?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
While first acknowledging that aesthetic taste is an individual matter...for me that is an astoundingly unattractive piece of "furniture".

I'm sure that there will be others who disagree, and that is perfectly reasonable...but $500 for THAT!?:eek:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Those slots will be dust and muck magnets. Yuck. hard to clean.over priced ill thought out junk

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
While first acknowledging that aesthetic taste is an individual matter...for me that is an astoundingly unattractive piece of "furniture".

I'm sure that there will be others who disagree, and that is perfectly reasonable...but $500 for THAT!?:eek:

Agreed. And yet, it'll be funded you'll see.. Edit: Oh, seems like old news by now. It is indeed overly funded.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
You know, my daily desk is usually a stack of sheet rock or a bunch of 2x10s between two sawhorses. Amazing that they can hold Apple products after seeing this.

Broojo02

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
UK
Not too keen on the air vents as I can see random feet of my Macbook getting "stuck" in the holes. Cool to have built in docks but I like to move my mobile devices around.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
First of all, I also find it unattractive. Second, if you have an iMac you just have a bunch of ugly holes in the middle of your desk underneath your wireless keyboard to drop things into.

Third, what's a mouse...?

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
love having access to two lasers and three CNC tables at work, save me a few bucks on something like this :p

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
I see a whole mess coming out of this if you spill anything on it (which happens, despite how careful you are).

It also wasn't clear to me if the cutouts have actual power capability or just holding stuff that is already fully charged. Could be a good way to build an induction charging station, though.

macguy90

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Upstate NY

I couldn't agree more! I don't think I'd pay $99 for this desk, let alone $500! The design is really quite horrible, in my opinion.

albeik

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2003
Marlborough, MA, USA
My problem is that, even though I have a pretty clean desk, I never place my devices in the same place every time. and have holes and grooves in the table just seem to force placement on you... pass.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
ikea table $50, borrow or even BUY a drill $50-70, drill a few holes. This table is not worth the $350+. This table is at best <$100 to make, you are paying 300-400% apple tax.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Numerous problems with this. On the kickstarter page, they show the power cord for a MBP going through one of the heat vents...right where it would dangle in-between your legs. Cord should go out the back so it doesn't do that.

Also, the rubber feet of Macbooks look like they would sit/fall in the heat vent holes, meaning the surface of the computer would touch the desk, meaning that it would actually be LESS efficient and make your computer run hotter. Not to mention annoyances with having one/two of the rubber feet in a heat vent and the others outside.

I'm pretty sure the macbook's cooling system is designed to work best on a flat, solid desk, not one with holes. Did they do any heat testing on this?

If the holes really do improve things, then they should try making them small so the rubber feet of Macbooks don't fall through. As others have said--if you have an iMac or a Mac Mini, what's the point of this desk?

The biggest flaw, for me personally, is that when I close the computer, I can't actually use this as a real desk! You can't write on it without putting something down to cover up the holes first. As a writer that likes writing longhand sometimes, that's a no-go.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Why do people think that "Handcrafted" standard parts are desirable?

Handcrafting is only important if there is something unique about each unit that the crafter produces. The legs should be machine crafted to make sure they are as close to identical as possible.

A handcrafted sculpture would be nice, but desk legs? Way to raise the price unnecessarily.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
Unbelievable!

A desk with holes in it, bizarre.

Be interesting to see how many they sell.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Um... The cup holders cool

Pretty much it's only redeeming feature.

The idea is great and all but not all people work alike in the same way. With various devices
In preset location. With my setup, this desk would never work. The desk I bought off Craigslist for $60 was and still is, perfect with room for both my MBP and 27" ACD. Even with such items that take up considerable space, I don't have air holes taking up valuable room when not using my keyboard and mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.