Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
$455 for THAT? And it's sold out of pre-orders? That's insane... how many pre-orders were available? 3?

I'm going to go to IKEA get a few of those BYO sets customize it and sell them on kickstarter...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
When I'm rendering video my mbp gets hot enough to burn me.

Oh yeah. My MBP does the same when rendering stills with just the Maya terminal shell. Scary stuff, especially with the noise the fans make. :eek:

My dad could easily make me one of these. In fact, maybe I'll ask him to, with some slight modifications, because yes, this is extremely ugly. The idea however is interesting.

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
Yucks! When i saw the design I disliked it, looks pretty old school. Coffe cup near a macbook? Sorry thats never staying on the same table as the macbook, to expensive accident if it ever spills.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I couldn't agree more! I don't think I'd pay $99 for this desk, let alone $500! The design is really quite horrible, in my opinion.

This just makes me want to build one myself. The current docks and stands on the market are awesome. I agree $500 is a fail!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think this is dumb. Watching the video, it doesn't seem like there is anything that actually holds the cords in place. Do you have to fish them through each time from underneath? Also—having the cupholder by the iPad just seems like a terrible idea! Then, when you're typing on a keyboard, you have these uncomfortable holes pressing into your skin. To top it off, $450 for bamboo and plastic? Good grief! I could build something like this with a nice slab of wood and a tool as simple as a Dremel on a Saturday afternoon.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
My problem is that, even though I have a pretty clean desk, I never place my devices in the same place every time....

So this desk is the perfect solution for you; it forces you to place everything in the exact same place every time.

:D

No more messy desk.

I agree; it looks like a $100 folding table with slots cut into it.

smellalot

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2011
What really impresses me is that this guy's other kickstarter project funded more than $100K - which is a piece of wood with holes and a cut for a phone stand. He sold those at $100 a piece. What a genius! I never would have thought that one could pull this off.

Same goes for the table. Cheap materials (I assume) and a very nice design IMO from an aesthetic point of view combined with a high price. Done.

The concept also makes sense. It's very small and supposed to be really tidy. Good for people that don't need a huge desk for work on the computer with lots of accessories and a multi monitor setup.
It's an interesting concept, although I guess the usability will be much worse than you'd expect from this.

The feel-good-happy-world music is really annoying :p

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Judging by 75 backers (at present time), I suppose such desk appeals to certain segment of people. But I think it's a real missed opportunity to not making it resemble either the desk at Apple Store or Jony Ive's desk AS WELL AS not offering one without any ugly holes.

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
MacBooks are designed for conductive heat transfer, not convective heat transfer. Those holes most likely decrease heat dissipation. Also, having a desk with holes in it would be extremely annoying.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Too small, over priced, MacBooks don't need those silly holes, how do you charge your phone or pad like that? Oh, and it's way over priced.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Looks nice, but those vents would be super annoying, and they really don't look like they actually do anything - the MBP is sitting past the very last row, the majority of heat is not even going over the holes...

Plus if you know, want to use the desk surface your pen will just fall through.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Those aren't docks. They are slots.

Docks have connectors built in. Not cable slots.

A dock allows you to dock something.

A slot allows you to set something in it.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
$500?? Seriously???

A drill and a plunging router and you can do this to any desk. People must think just because we own apple products, we are made of money.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Larf out loud at the tiny recess for a coffee cup. How many laptops a month are destroyed after getting a cup of something knocked over them. If anything it should have a small wall at least the height of the cup on the side facing the computer.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
While first acknowledging that aesthetic taste is an individual matter...for me that is an astoundingly unattractive piece of "furniture".

I'm sure that there will be others who disagree, and that is perfectly reasonable...but $500 for THAT!?:eek:

I love the design and just ordered one. Glad I don't own any of the "furniture" in your house. I heard moat of it's good for campfires?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.