Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced that it was altering its existing Simple Choice plans, adding more data, a new pricing tier and no-added-cost international texting from the United States.
Simple Choice plans still start with one line at $50 per month for unlimited data, talk and text on the T-Mobile network.  You only have to decide how much high speed 4G LTE data you want.  And now on the core plan, you'll get a full 1GB of 4G LTE data and tethering - double the previous amounts.  Additional lines continue to be $30 for the second line and $10 for up to three additional lines for unlimited data talk and text, and now 1GB of 4G LTE data.
tmobilenewplans.jpg
Previously, T-Mobile's Simple Choice plans included 500MB of 4G LTE data in the base $50 per month plan, while users could get 2.5GB of 4G LTE data for an extra $10 per month and unlimited 4G LTE data and 2.5GB of tethering for an extra $20 per month.

Now, users will get 1GB of 4G LTE data in the base plan, 3GB of 4G LTE data for an extra $10, 5GB of 4G LTE data and 5GB of tethering for an extra $20 and unlimited 4G LTE data and 5GB of tethering for an extra $30. In addition, T-Mobile has added unlimited international texting from the United States at no extra cost.

The data changes will take effect automatically on March 23 and the international texting will begin on April 1. While the unlimited 4G LTE data for an extra $20 per month will be removed, users who have the plan before March 23 will be grandfathered into, and allowed to keep, the plan.

Article Link: T-Mobile Adds More Data, No-Cost International Texting to Simple Choice Plans

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
just keeps getting better

No kidding. The only downside is those who have unlimited data must pay an extra $10 for it now, but the upside of these announcements far outweighs the downside... at least for me (I use it in addition to my ATT phone solely for international data). Adding 7 more countries to the list is great! Keep up the disruption T-Mo! You've already cut my AT&T family plan in half, thanks!

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
I guess you do this stuff when you can't get your actual service together. As soon as that matches their great offerings I'll happily switch. But of course by then they'll raise prices and have contracts again ha

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I guess you do this stuff when you can't get your actual service together. As soon as that matches their great offerings I'll happily switch. But of course by then they'll raise prices and have contracts again ha

Just depends where you use it. I can name places where AT&T doesn't work but T-Mobile does. Though there are more places that ATT works. The bottom line is that people are willing to sacrifice the coverage-everywhere blanket for a price break. Same reason Taco Bell exists. People are willing to sacrifice quality and service in exchange for cheap, no frills sustenance ... :)

----------

You're locked in at $20 for unlimited as long as you're signed up before March 23.

Yep. :)

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
My bill is actuall going to go down $10 per line. I pay $10 extra for 4.5GB of tethering. Five lines that $50 Nice!

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Yay! So glad I switched. Can't wait to freely use my iPhone on my trip to Europe next month without worrying about data and such.

stevaroo01

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Pensacola, FL USA
I just switched to T-Mobile from Verizon last week. It's still pretty early for me, but so far I think the benefits outweigh the downsides. Yes, the coverage isn't as good. However, it's great where I am most of the time and I'm actually getting BETTER speeds on T-Mobile LTE than on Verizon (wasn't expecting that)!! And the price being lower is the biggest benefit. And complete flexibility to do anything I want and not worry about contracts. So far I don't have switchers remorse.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Does anyone know if tmoblie offers a service got spot like AT&T?

I'd like to switch but know I don't get service at home.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The plans are great, but the coverage area still needs a lot of work. I put my old iPhone 4s on the $30 plan to give it a try as I am traveling this month. I've been really considering switching. So far I'm been disappointed in the coverage. Just too many areas where I got "No Service", not even Edge. Same spot my iPhone 5s on AT&T I get coverage.

It is pretty disappointing when you don't have service on a major interstate (Like I-10 between Phoenix and LA)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Two things seem to be missing from the table:

1 - No 3G?
2 - They missed the $ in +20/mo at the top of the chart.

ds705

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2013
Awesome! We just switched from Verizon last week, clearly it was a great choice.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wish they could let you add a tablet to your plan and share the data pool. This would be a great deal if I could do that!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I wish they could let you add a tablet to your plan and share the data pool. This would be a great deal if I could do that!

Well in a way you can. Turn mobile hot spot on your T-Mobile phone and share it as WiFi with your tablet.

----------

Gota say, extra 500MB per month and I don't pay any extra, glad I down graded to 500MB plan. I like the fact that this puts more pressure on AT&T and Verizon.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The convenience of just being able to pick up your tablet and use it without having to connect to anything is quite awesome.

Well in a way you can. Turn mobile hot spot on your T-Mobile phone and share it as WiFi with your tablet.

----------

Gota say, extra 500MB per month and I don't pay any extra, glad I down graded to 500MB plan. I like the fact that this puts more pressure on AT&T and Verizon.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yay! So glad I switched. Can't wait to freely use my iPhone on my trip to Europe next month without worrying about data and such.
How does this relate to international use of data and such?

njsapple2012

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
If Only....

EE (the brand T-Mobile UK falls under in the UK) would do the same in terms of Unlimited LTE data!

There's only Three who offer Unlimited Data at present; I usually think American people get a raw deal when it comes to cellular tariffs so it's great to finally see someone changing the rules!

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
I just swathed from AT&T, after almost 10 years, to T-Mobile yesterday. And they announce the new plan today, so I'm happy to choose to stay unlimited with 2.5GB tether, or go with the new plan with 5GB tether.

The T-mobile plans are just too good to pass up. You get unlimited LTE and pay $10 more to get unlimited international landline and text! I call international a lot so wow this is a godsend. :D

I know AT&T may have better reception/coverage overall, but I'm in Texas and T-mobile got pretty good coverage in Texas, so I'm fine with a little less coverage for unlimited internet and international landline.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm glad they didn't force people off the $70 unlimited. I'll be sticking with that one as I normally use around 9-10GBs including about 1.5GB of tethering per month.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I am AT&T subscriber and I bought retina iPad mini with T-Mobile few months ago to evaluate their network.

I think I will very likely switch to T-Mobile when new iPhones come out, but indoor coverage where I live and work (SF Bay Area, CA) is much worse than AT&T. Hopefully 700 MHz deployment will be completed by then.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Our family switched over to T-Mobile a little less than a year ago, and we've been satisfied with the service overall. The coverage here in western Washington state has been as good as AT&T's (our previous carrier). Verizon's coverage may be somewhat more ubiquitous out in the sticks, but we left them a decade ago because they're a horrible company - so they're irrelevant to us.

Really the only "complaint" was my daughter tends to use a bit more than half a gig of data a month, so she wasn't happy with the slowdown towards the end of each month. This increase solves that, though. I'll have to see if the new baseline will be enough to let me drop the extra $10 a month I'm paying on my line (for 2 gigs more, monthly) - I do like to stream MLB audio, and the season is about to start.

Anyway... If you're thinking about making the switch, I say you should go for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.