Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyhansen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Nor. California
Signed up for MLB.tv premium service today without reading the fine details that all of the local team games (home and away) are blacked out.... Is there a work around? Frustrated that when I called the support line they told me I could watch the game 90 minutes after it was over.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
You will have to get a DNS service like Unblockus, for $5 or so a month it will allow you to circumvent MLB blackouts.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
I've used unblock-us for the past 2 seasons to watch my local market games without a problem

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Signed up for MLB.tv premium service today without reading the fine details that all of the local team games (home and away) are blacked out.... Is there a work around? Frustrated that when I called the support line they told me I could watch the game 90 minutes after it was over.

+1 for unblock-us

Stosh68

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012

One last thing to keep in mind, is that in addition to local "home team" blackouts that are easily solved by a VPN, there are also national blackouts. For example, the Fox Saturday afternoon game and the Sunday night ESPN games are not available live on mlb.tv to USA viewers. If you're going to use an international proxy to get around this, make sure the one you're routing through has enough bandwidth to get an acceptable stream/picture.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
This looks really great. For $5/month I could certainly get by with MLB and NBA on the AppleTV. Thanks guys!! I can't wait to try it.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
One last thing to keep in mind, is that in addition to local "home team" blackouts that are easily solved by a VPN, there are also national blackouts. For example, the Fox Saturday afternoon game and the Sunday night ESPN games are not available live on mlb.tv to USA viewers. If you're going to use an international proxy to get around this, make sure the one you're routing through has enough bandwidth to get an acceptable stream/picture.

Not an issue with unblock-us. I see Saturday afternoon and Sunday night games in full HD quality.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
there are also free ways to change your DNS location if you are jailbroken. Can't think of it offhand but they are easily searchable. The location blackout problem is a fairly easy workaround. If the game is blacked out nationally then try firstrowsports dot com.

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
Not an issue with unblock-us. I see Saturday afternoon and Sunday night games in full HD quality.

Unblock us is a "smart" VPN in that it will adjust your location to be able to get what you are trying to get. This is why national games aren't a problem as it will point you to somewhere from Europe, while at the same time you can get Hulu since it points you to the USA

I don't know why nba doesn't work, but it just doesn't. I've discussed my workaround in the cable cutting forum

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
if you have an ipad or iphone you can jb it and set up locationHolic (i think maybe $3-5) and possibly an airplay unlocking app (not sure if mlbtv has airplay built in) and watch local games that way- and on the go too!

amaradino

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
if you have an ipad or iphone you can jb it and set up locationHolic (i think maybe $3-5) and possibly an airplay unlocking app (not sure if mlbtv has airplay built in) and watch local games that way- and on the go too!

This is my exact setup with MLBTV (not sure on NBA). I use fakelocation though, there are some freebies in the cydia marketplace.. just have to find the right one. MLBTV will airplay to the Apple TV.

Also, another workaround I use is playing from a browser (Airplay to Apple TV on 10.7/10.8) and using a mozilla plugin to fake my location, works perfect.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Unblock us is a "smart" VPN in that it will adjust your location to be able to get what you are trying to get. This is why national games aren't a problem as it will point you to somewhere from Europe, while at the same time you can get Hulu since it points you to the USA

I don't know why nba doesn't work, but it just doesn't. I've discussed my workaround in the cable cutting forum

I have a 7 day trial with unblockus, but still can not get local MLB games on my computer, roku or apple tv, even though I changed the DNS on my airport extreme to theirs. Still says my area is in a blackout. I know unlockus is working because when I go to NFL game pass with their dns plugged in, it allows me to sign up for game streaming access, while when on my local dns, it does not give me that option.

Last edited:

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I have a 7 day trial with unblockus, but still can not get local MLB games on my computer, roku or apple tv, even though I changed the DNS on my airport extreme to theirs. Still says my area is in a blackout. I know unlockus is working because when I go to NFL game pass with their dns plugged in, it allows me to sign up for game streaming access, while when on my local dns, it does not give me that option.

Never mind, I figured it out. I had to change both primary and secondary dns locations on my AEBS.

CoachThompsonBR

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
MLBtv on Ipad

So if I download location spoof on my iPad, how does that relate to helping me airplay the games from my iPad because MLB only offers MLB at Bat for iPads not MLB.tv?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
do they blackout spring training games?

and I don't think at bat gives you live video of the regular season games, you need the MLB.TV subscription for that. mlb at bat is audio only and a lot of those games if you want to listen to the radio you should be able to stream the station from another app. i've done it last year with Mets games. i don't think there are any blackouts for the audio streams, only the video

MLB TV is on the apple TV as well as almost every other game console, tv and blu ray player so you don't need to airplay from your ipad to the apple tv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.