Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the launch of iOS 7.1, Apple today updated its Apple TV software to version 6.1, adding a much-requested feature that allows users to hide unwanted channel icons from the main screen without needing to access the Parental Controls menu. The hiding feature joins an already existing rearranging feature, letting users further customize their Apple TV home screens as the number of channels has grown significantly in recent months.

appletvarrange.jpg
Arranging or hiding icons can be initiated by selecting an item in the main menu and then pressing and holding on the Select button of the remote control until the icon jiggles, much as how icon rearranging functions within iOS. Icons can be moved using directional buttons, with Play/Pause available for more options.

appletvhideitems.jpg
The Apple TV software was last updated to version 6.0.1 in October, following the release of the 6.0 software in September, which brought several new features including iTunes Radio and AirPlay from iCloud. Earlier this week, the Apple TV gained a new iTunes Festival channel ahead of SXSW.

Users can download the Apple TV 6.1 software through the Apple TV's over-the-air update mechanism found in Settings --> General --> Software Update.

Apple has also updated the Remote app for iOS devices to version 4.2, adding a feature that allows users to browse purchased movies and TV shows within the app and then play them on the Apple TV. The update also includes the ability to control iTunes Radio on the Apple TV and offers bug fixes and stability improvements. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple TV 6.1 Software Update Makes Hiding Channels Easier

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Can successfully say I've already updated here in the UK.

The hiding feature works nicely and easily as ever.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'm going to turn on my AppleTV and see how long it takes to auto-update.

I've yet to see that work on AppleTV.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Add this feature to iOS for iPhone and iPad!

I completely agree! Finally, we can put NewStand in a folder, but I'd like to hide some of those apps entirely! If they can't be uninstalled, please just let us hide the icon from view.

Long overdue on the AppleTV!

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Does this update also fix the Netflix glitch where it snaps back to SD?:confused:

Also did they finally fix the authorization for HBO Go so Charter Communications would finally let us it on Apple TV (Charter says it is on Apples end yeah I know :rolleyes:).

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Does this update also fix the Netflix glitch where it snaps back to SD?:confused:

Also did they finally fix the authorization for HBO Go so Charter Communications would finally let us it on Apple TV (Charter says it is on Apples end yeah I know :rolleyes:).

Those are both ISP related issues in most cases unfortunately...

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I'm going to turn on my AppleTV and see how long it takes to auto-update.

I've yet to see that work on AppleTV.

I must have had mine set to Auto-Update.
I remember one time hearing about an update and thinking I needed to go and update the AppleTV to see the new stuff and when I turned it on, it was already updated and had the new channels.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Those are both ISP related issues in most cases unfortunately...

You are telling tell it to them I tried telling them that do I need to start some riot to get their attention? All 3 are at fault: Charter Communications, Apple and Netflix all 3 are greedy company but have no choice to except and deal with their childish attitudes.:mad:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I wonder if Job's breakthrough TV interface is to just treat each TV show as a podcast and stream them on demand? Seems to be the way the Apple TV is going.

Anyway, nice to see the ability to hide items. I wish they updated the Remote app so you can do it much more easily.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I wonder if Job's breakthrough TV interface is to just treat each TV show as a podcast and stream them on demand? Seems to be the way the Apple TV is going.

Anyway, nice to see the ability to hide items. I wish they updated the Remote app so you can do it much more easily.

I think that's what he had in mind. All that's left is we need to stop paying the cable companies for access and be able to just pay $10/month/channel. I'll take Fox (for Family Guy and American Dad), Food Network (for fiancée), and I think there's another channel my fiancée would want (E! ? Not sure what the other channel she watches is). Oh, and CC for South Park, of course.

That would be $40/month. Much better than what I'm paying right now for hundreds of channels I don't want just so I can have the four I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.