Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I think it's great that Apple has made good on getting the iPhone 4 less frustrating for those who upgraded to iOS 7 with the 7.1 update.

I wish my 4th generation iPod touch could get some iOS 7 love still being stuck with iOS 6.1.2 that in mind I did notice some performance improvement with my iPad 2 wifi but lacks the live blurring effects as my iPhone 5 does. Otherwise, it is still kicking along like I never would have expected. I have to give a big thumbs up for supporting older hardware as the long lasting iPad 2.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Worse thing I ever did was update to IOS 7. My 4S had no lag, stutters or stalls and IOS 7 put an end to that (as well as being butt fugly). Given the option, I would go back to IOS 6.1.2 rather than IOS 7.1 but it's an option I don't have.:mad:

Well if it makes you feel any better, I'm using a 4S on iOS 6, and it works great. :)

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Fair play to them for putting in the effort for a phone thats almost 4yrs old.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Pathetic. You go from full textured iOS 6.1 to a slimmed down ugly arse flat kindergartner designed iOS 7 and yet your performance numbers are still quite crap.

Phone app from 0.67 to 1.83s. That's going from half a second to almost 2seconds. How is this anything to be proud of?!

The entire iOS 7 design team needs to be fired. You fire Scott forestall and that guy single handily created the best iPhone experience ever. But no, u fire him and keep a bunch of loony toon characters on board to create this atrocious mess.

snarfquest

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2013
Constant timeouts when trying to download the update. /sigh

Come on Apple. Expect that we're all trying to update and ramp up your severs. ffs.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Glad to still be humming along on iOS6 here. Works fast, reliably, and looks a hundred times more polished. Maybe iOS 8 won't be another step backward.

Haha no it doesn't. When I see iOS 6 now I nearly vomit because of how awful it looked for something we used in 2013. iOS 7 isn't perfect but it's much more current than iOS 6. Maybe you think iOS 6 looks more "polished" because of all those awful realistic gradients and lighting effects.

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
I would post this in the iOS 7.1 Update thread, but there are almost a thousand comments there, so...

I had to delete some apps to make room for the 7.1 install and I noticed that, upon reinstalling them after the update, they have inserted themselves back into their original locations on the Springboard...can anyone confirm this? If that's actually the case, that saves me a bit of headache with moving apps around...

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
I was like, "Meh", but love the speed increase.. It may not measure much, but feels a ton faster - I like! (on iPhone 5 and iPad air)

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Haha no it doesn't. When I see iOS 6 now I nearly vomit because of how awful it looked for something we used in 2013. iOS 7 isn't perfect but it's much more current than iOS 6. Maybe you think iOS 6 looks more "polished" because of all those awful realistic gradients and lighting effects.

iOS 6.1 was the best of iOS experience. But function wise it got old and boring. You do realize iOS 7 is still iOS 6.x underneath. It's just the uglier flat kindergartner design that captivates you because attention span for humans these days is like zero. Next you know people will get bored of how a wheel looks and moves. :rolleyes:

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Nice improvement over 7.0, but still not as good as 6.1.3 which is consistently faster at app launches. I wonder why.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
It's pretty amazing Apple can do this. Ask Samsung/HTC/Sony/Google/Nokia consumers what they get in terms of updates and they'll all have tales of woe and reasons why they are never buying a phone again from that OEM. Apple is quite remarkable the way they support old hardware and give consumers the best possible experience. And that's why we love them.

Totally agree. And Samsung was the WORST with Android updates. Zero support. Never again will I purchase a crapass Samsung product. We're on iPhones now, much happier.

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Worse thing I ever did was update to IOS 7. My 4S had no lag, stutters or stalls and IOS 7 put an end to that (as well as being butt fugly). Given the option, I would go back to IOS 6.1.2 rather than IOS 7.1 but it's an option I don't have.:mad:

In some ways I agree with the shocking changes when I decided to update my iPhone 5 from iOS 6 to iOS 7, as I was so used to the way things looked and worked and the craftsmanship in the older apps and also the "character" that made the iPhone what it was.

After using iOS 7 for a while, it really started growing on me. The look and performance improvements on newer iOS hardware. It does look more modern but more or less on white iPhones and late model iPod Touch as well as iPads.

Lots of white seemed to be part of the overall design and look of a white iPhone, iPad, etc. my problem is I have all black hardware so the change was a bit of a eyeball burner.

The technical side of all the use of light shades of white and such actually causes a less power draw on the battery since black uses the most power draw on a LCD display when the opposite is the issue with OLED screens.

So we did by a slight bonus, get a bit better battery life. The overall look and feel of iOS 7 will grow on you once you spend some time using it. Going back and working with my 4th gen iPod Touch with 6.1.2 on it almost feels like picking up a much older iPhone.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Why does the article say it's missing iOS 7 features like Siri? Siri is not a feature of iOS 7 it is a feature of the 4s. Even if the 4 was 100 times faster then the 4s it wouldn't get Siri.

No one timed the amount of time it takes for the iPhone 4 to put what your typing on the screen because it would be embarrassing for apple :D

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Anyone with a iPhone 4 has gotten their money's worth!!!:cool:

By getting a lame patch for a disaster of an operating system (iOS7)??

iPhone 4 users (and all iPhone users) could only get their money's worth if they were allowed to backgrade to iOS6!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
There was a time where 'special effects' were only used in movies ...

Now its used u our phones too :p

Even though you can Reduce this, its like saying "Will introduce a a GUI that's rich by the way it zooms in and out, but then allow people to disable this."

Sounds to me like Apple has a sort of "disease" and there is no way to cure it..

I'm just wondering how many people actually requested this, and Apple just didn't decide to tell people "ya, we want this ourselves. People will have to like it."

Notice how this article didn't mention the 4s, only the 4........ What gives ?

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Pathetic. You go from full textured iOS 6.1 to a slimmed down ugly arse flat kindergartner designed iOS 7 and yet your performance numbers are still quite crap.

Phone app from 0.67 to 1.83s. That's going from half a second to almost 2seconds. How is this anything to be proud of?!

The entire iOS 7 design team needs to be fired. You fire Scott forestall and that guy single handily created the best iPhone experience ever. But no, u fire him and keep a bunch of loony toon characters on board to create this atrocious mess.

iOS 6.1 was the best of iOS experience. But function wise it got old and boring. You do realize iOS 7 is still iOS 6.x underneath. It's just the uglier flat kindergartner design that captivates you because attention span for humans these days is like zero. Next you know people will get bored of how a wheel looks and moves. :rolleyes:

You keep using that phrase but i don't think it means what you think it means.

Also i'll take Ive iOS design over Forstall's all day any day.

If people love iOS 6 so much then by all means stay on it. That or abandon the platform altogether if you're so inclined.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.