Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently implemented changes to its loyalty program designed for organizations like schools and businesses, improving the discounts given to those customers, reports TechCrunch.

Customers are eligible to receive discounts through Apple Retail's Business Team after spending more than $5,000. Apple's particular program is three-tiered, offering increasingly greater discounts at $5,000, $35,000, and $200,000. Given the amounts spent, the program is typically limited to businesses and educational facilities that purchase Apple devices in bulk.

applebusiness.jpg
With the changes made to the program, Apple has upped the discounts buyers receive on Macs, iOS devices, and accessories.
With last week's changes, Apple has improved the discounts of several items across all of these tiers. Almost all of the discounts have been improved a couple percent. We're hearing, for instance, that Mac has gone from 5% to 6% in the lower tier and as much as 8% at the higher tier.
Third-party accessory discounts, for example, have risen from 5 percent to 10 percent for the lowest loyalty program tier, and even higher for other tiers, while iPads are discounted by two to four percent based on model and quantity.

Along with increased discounts on the above listed items, the program has been expanded for the first time to include both unlocked iPhones and Apple TVs. As noted by TechCrunch, Apple TVs have become increasingly important for schools and businesses that rely heavily on iOS and Mac devices as they work well with AirPlay as a way to avoid traditional projectors.

Apple's efforts to deploy iPads in both educational institutions and businesses have ramped up over the course of the last several years. The company often highlights its enterprise performance during quarterly earnings calls and a February survey suggested Apple accounted for 73 percent of all enterprise mobile device activations in the fourth quarter of 2013.

Two weeks ago, Apple launched new enterprise tools for large device deployments, offering several new features for mobile device management, including over-the-air tools to allow IT administrators to set up devices without the need for the Apple Configurator software.

Article Link: Apple Improves Loyalty Discounts for Business and Education Customers

Switchfoot

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2004
Considering I'm well above this as an individual consumer, is there any loyalty program for someone like myself?

dalupus

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
I see I am currently getting an 8% discount on the apple store with my company discount. Have no idea what it was before.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Not a biggie for me. The University I went to offers flat 8% on all Apple products - best I've seen so far.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Hell, I've been upgrading pretty much annually since 2005. Just off the top of my head totaling up all the Apple stuff I've bought since 2005, it has to be at least $14k. Granted, that's not all out of pocket, as I sell my hardware and get good resale for it, but it's all to Apple, so they don't care how I get it to them, as long as I get it to them.

That doesn't even count the people I've turned on to Mac, about 5 at last count. All told, because of me, Apple probably has revenue of at least $25k, and that's pretty good from just one guy buying and recommending.

I wish they had a system similar to store cards. Spend $5k, get $500 off or something like that. A loyalty program for the hoards of us who are loyal would be great. I know if they gave me $500, I'd spend that plus several more hundred on top of that, so it would be a great business move for them.

michael.robey

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
I would like to see an individual loyalty program.

I have bought 3 apple tvs, 3 iMacs, an iPhone, 3 itouchs, 2 nanos, 1 iPad and 2 shuffles. That should be worth something on my future purchases?:)

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I have bought 3 apple tvs, 3 iMacs, an iPhone, 3 itouchs, 2 nanos, 1 iPad and 2 shuffles. That should be worth something on my future purchases?:)

You at least deserve an iPhone case!!!

I think Apple needs to start spreading that wealth around, after all it's because of all of us they have that big stock pile o cash.

Since 2005, 4 mac minis, 4 iMacs, 5 MacBook Pros, MacBook, every iPhone except the 5S, some multiple times, 6 iPods (plus touches), iPad 1, iPad mini, 20" Cinema Display, 24" Cinema Display (twice), and I know I'm forgetting stuff. Plus AppleCare, software, and misc. other products purchased through them. Wow, looking at all that, now I know where all my money has gone!!!! I think I'm over my original estimate. I paid like $999 for Logic Pro alone. Yeah, I'm probably closer to $20k. I must be insane.

EDIT: yeah, and the Apple TV's, iPod shuffles, iPod nano... I'm done. I wish I would have just kept the money and bought Apple stock.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Can you get a business discount when buying a single Mac Pro that's >$5000?
Or do you really have to have bulk orders (like hundreds of Apple TVs).

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
As noted by TechCrunch, Apple TVs have become increasingly important for schools and businesses that rely heavily on iOS and Mac devices as they work well with AirPlay as a way to avoid traditional projectors.

Can someone explain this? I'd think this would be a supplement to projectors, replacing computers.

johnsmclean

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
My institution is looking to buy a minimum of 4000 iPad airs every year. Wonder what discount would get for an order of that size ?

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
Considering I'm well above this as an individual consumer, is there any loyalty program for someone like myself?

Apple will never offer an individual a loyalty discount simply because they just don't have to. They already know an existing customer is likely to buy their stuff again no matter what - just look at all the zealots out there. That's why their prices are high, and why they are incredibly profitable. However, they do appreciate your loyalty - all the way to the bank :).

Johnny Vegas

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
When Apple upgrades their horribly spec'ed education iMac, let me know. $1100 for an i3 dual core and 4 GB of un-upgradeable RAM in 2014... :mad:

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
In the UK, the Higher Education Agreement is a 20% discount on desktops and laptops (not iPads etc). I wasn't aware that it was less in the US (and I assume this article is only referring to the US deal, though it doesn't say).

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO

Make yourself a sole proprietorship or LLC. Then you have a business and can get business discounts.

----------

Apple will never offer an individual a loyalty discount simply because they just don't have to. They already know an existing customer is likely to buy their stuff again no matter what - just look at all the zealots out there. That's why their prices are high, and why they are incredibly profitable. However, they do appreciate your loyalty - all the way to the bank :).

Is there a reason he couldn't start a Sole Proprietorship or LLC? Then he'd get the discount, right? I guess you wouldn't have as much to snark about though....

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
Can you get a business discount when buying a single Mac Pro that's >$5000?
Or do you really have to have bulk orders (like hundreds of Apple TVs).

I have a business rep as a freelancer and only buy computers about every 3 years. Don't know if I qualify because I actually have a business name vs being an individual. He usually gave me a discount on a peripheral like a Time Capsule, not on the computers themselves. Not a huge amount of money but something. Recently I ordered a new MacPro and refurb thunderbolt display but didn't go through my rep because it had been three years and wasn't sure I still had one. Found out soon after I DID still have a rep so I screwed up. Live and learn…

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Can someone explain this? I'd think this would be a supplement to projectors, replacing computers.

Large Screen TV that has speakers (that can serve other purposes, like cable connection or over the air TV) plus an AppleTV.

v.s.

Bulbs to replace, easy to make off with/loose, no audio.

mrmyk

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Whittier, CA
Loyalty

Buying bulk does not make you a loyal customer. Loyalty is buying the same brand year after year. Apple is not rewarding loyalty, Apple is rewarding quantity.
If they rewarded loyalty, they would be giving discounts for buying Mac for the past 25 years. They have our records, it shows over the years who keeps buying Macs and iPhones and iPads and AppleTVs, and soon Iwatches. They should check the records and reward real loyalty, not just a guy that is doing a one time big buy. That's simply not loyalty. It's sad that us little loyal people can't catch a break for being so loyal.

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
Buying bulk does not make you a loyal customer. Loyalty is buying the same brand year after year. Apple is not rewarding loyalty, Apple is rewarding quantity.
If they rewarded loyalty, they would be giving discounts for buying Mac for the past 25 years. They have our records, it shows over the years who keeps buying Macs and iPhones and iPads and AppleTVs, and soon Iwatches. They should check the records and reward real loyalty, not just a guy that is doing a one time big buy. That's simply not loyalty. It's sad that us little loyal people can't catch a break for being so loyal.

I agree with your assessment of bulk v.s. loyalty.

I disagree with your statement about not benefitting from loyalty.

It is the fact that Apple keeps producing a superior product that I remain loyal. The alternative is Windows (which I migrated from). I left for lots of reasons. Most of the reasons I left are problems that my migration to Apple solves. I am receiving an incentive for being here. I save money and decrease the use of my time. What else does Apple owe me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.