Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than six months after its launch alongside iOS 7 last September, Apple's iTunes Radio has become the third most popular music streaming service in the United States, according to a new report from Edison Research and Statista (via Fortune).

streaming_services_chart_mar_14-800x570.jpeg
While Pandora and iHeartRadio took first and second place with a 31% and 9% share of the market respectively, iTunes Radio accounted for an 8% share with over 20 million users, passing Spotify's 6%. Apple's streaming service also passed the likes of competitors such as Google Play All Access, Rhapsody, Slacker, and TuneIn Radio.
While users can hop between services freely (and at least one report has suggested that 92 percent of iTunes Radio listeners also find time for Pandora), that figure would suggest that iTunes Radio is growing at the fastest rate of the top three services, and is likely to overtake iHeartRadio in the next quarter or two.
Apple launched iTunes Radio in Australia last month, as the company looks to ultimately have the service "in more than 100 countries," according to senior vice president of Internet software and services Eddy Cue. The company will be able to roll out its service to additional countries more quickly than competitors due to its existing international rights deals with Universal Music Group and other record companies.

Article Link: Apple's iTunes Radio Becomes Third Most Popular U.S. Music Streaming Service

SvP

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
Where's the love for the netherlands?

As early founders of at least parts of the U.S, we expected and hoped for a bit more love from you people. Years and years go by, and the hope for a dutch speaking Siri, or the release of iRadio, are painfully absent.

We're disappointed, people.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Is pandora really that strong? I seem to see that everyone uses spotify. Thought spotify was much stronger in the numbers...:confused:

To be fair though, Pandora and Itunes Radio don't really offer what Spotify does. Spotify is the biggest streaming service in terms of letting you listen to exactly what you want. It's not an internet radio unlike the previously mentioned services.

Spotify should be compared to Google Play All Access and Rdio.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
why did i think Spotify would be number one for sure ^^ guess the US prefers to skip through random songs

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
why did i think Spotify would be number one for sure ^^ guess the US prefers to skip through random songs
1. Takes too much effort to build a specially catered playlist.

Pandora's algorithms are second to none in mine and many people's experience. And they've developed a reputation around this. I rarely felt the need to skip.

Still I have dropped it, for iTunes Radio...

2. Spotify is incredibly expensive. Even for people who pay the 'Apple Tax'. And have the ability and time to dedicate to building their own playlists... In order to build a playlist from songs and store for offline usage on your mobile, Spotify wants $120/yr... and you lose it all if you ever stop paying.

iTunes Match with ad free iTunes Radio is $25/yr and leaves you a leftover $95 budget for 73-95 new DRM free songs licensed to you, perpetually and not tied to a subscription service.

That's 2, maybe 3 whole completely new playlists.

In reality, can spend a fraction of that to merely bolster, rework and refresh current playlists.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
This is just a snapshot. It would be interesting to see User Base vs. Time for each of these services.

DudeDad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
I had been using Slacker, but I'm enjoying iTunes radio. I will not renew Slacker in the fall.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
Interesting. I spent a lot of time rating songs, and Pandora still played a lot of music I didn't want to hear. I deleted it from my phone the day iTunes radio was announced.

Unfortunately, iTunes Radio doesn't register scrobbles with my Last.fm account, so I listen to either my own library or Spotify 98% of the time.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Not in Holland :)

I'm pretty sure Spotify is nr1 in Holland as the pictures shows out, and the rest falls very very deep when it comes to second place in the charts, including iTunes which I found one the worst music apps ever made.

zs9di1wg69ew1mx1.jpg

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
well I don't have access to Apples offering. I have always happily used Tunein and find it really good.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Like everyone else, I'm surprised Spotify is as low as it is compared to the rest. Oh well, those of us who use it know better :D

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I tried Pandora a year or two back...hated it. I had to skip too often with it.

I started Spotify last year but when trying to use my headphones to pause it, I'd end up starting iTunes. (this is on a Mac)

Then switched to iTunes Radio once it came out...that has been really good, much better than Pandora. I still like Spotify when I actually want to hear a Specific song. and can easily save a playlist/album and listen FREE on the Mobile App.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
Is pandora really that strong?

And yet Apple didn't put it in CarPlay. Of course we don't know what kind of negotiations did or did not happen, but it makes you wonder. I hope this isn't another example of Apple telling people what they should want, rather than allowing people to pick what they DO want.

That said, I much prefer a service like Spotify where I can listen to algorithm radio, curated playlists, or any album that I pick. I use all three regularly.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
1. Takes too much effort to build a specially catered playlist.

Pandora's algorithms are second to none in mine and many people's experience. And they've developed a reputation around this. I rarely felt the need to skip.

Still I have dropped it, for iTunes Radio...

2. Spotify is incredibly expensive. Even for people who pay the 'Apple Tax'. And have the ability and time to dedicate to building their own playlists... In order to build a playlist from songs and store for offline usage on your mobile, Spotify wants $120/yr... and you lose it all if you ever stop paying.

iTunes Match with ad free iTunes Radio is $25/yr and leaves you a leftover $95 budget for 73-95 new DRM free songs licensed to you, perpetually and not tied to a subscription service.

That's 2, maybe 3 whole completely new playlists.

In reality, can spend a fraction of that to merely bolster, rework and refresh current playlists.

I've never used Itunes Radio, seeing as it's not available in where I live. Nevertheless, correct me if I'm wrong but you can't listen to a specific song whenever you want, right?

How is $120/yr expensive for listening to exactly what you want whenever and wherever you want? I honestly don't get the point of iTunes Radio. How is it different to Pandora and what does it do that other simplistic internet radios don't already offer?

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I have been a subscriber to both Pandora and Spotiify for years and I put them way ahead of iTunes Radio. There is no diversity on iTunes Radio and it consistently plays the same tracks over and over. I picked one particular "featured station" once and it literally played Song A followed by Song B and back to Song A and then back to Song B. Are you serious? If it's one thing that annoys me, it's when streaming music repeats tracks.

It just doesn't seem like iTunes has the library some other services have.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I don't get why Pandora and Spotify are so popular, they were innovators back then but they've been lagging behind - I'm surprised Rdio isn't even mentioned on that chart, too.

JerryCards

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Richmond, VA
For those outside US, you can create a free US iTunes account and get access to iTunes Radio. Create US account is easy and no credit card necessary

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
As early founders of at least parts of the U.S, we expected and hoped for a bit more love from you people. Years and years go by, and the hope for a dutch speaking Siri, or the release of iRadio, are painfully absent.

We're disappointed, people.

Was that you guys? I thought they were from Holland. We named a tunnel after them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.